Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downtime next week [Apple content] - iPad 3/HD day today!

D

Deleted member 18477

They only used 'new iPad' yesterday to distinguish it from iPad 2. I'm pretty sure it will just be referred to as 'iPad' from now on, in the same way as new MacBooks and the like do not have any numeric suffix - they just get refreshed - faster, quicker, bigger capacity etc.

The iPad is pretty much exactly as forecast with regard to the improvements made. I don't get this "it's not much different" line from some folk - I really don't know what they expected. This laptop I'm typing on is exactly the same form factor as my first laptop 15-20 years ago. The improvements are on the inside - higher res screen, faster CPU, more RAM, better graphics processing, bigger capacity hard drives and faster stuff to tie them all together.

Those banging on about a card slot on the iPad can just do one - it's not going to happen so stop going on about it.

I'm not sure what we're going to do - our launch day iPad is still going strong and perfectly adequate for us still. Cameras, solely for Facetime, would be useful so a refurbed iPad 2 might be the way to go.

question for the main apple man then: i have not got an ipad. never had one. really want one. £399 is a little pricey. however whats the life span on these babies? 2 years? 3? if i got an ipad 2 would it be crap next year due to new IOS updates etc? would i in effect be saving money just by buying the new one now so my ipad lifespan is longer?

whats your thoughts?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
question for the main apple man then: i have not got an ipad. never had one. really want one. £399 is a little pricey. however whats the life span on these babies? 2 years? 3? if i got an ipad 2 would it be crap next year due to new IOS updates etc? would i in effect be saving money just by buying the new one now so my ipad lifespan is longer?

whats your thoughts?

Our original iPad is now 2 years old and does everything very well still, other than anything where you need a camera, as it hasn't got one. For all other functions it's fine. I'm only aware of one app - the 800mb behemoth Garageband - that doesn't run perfectly on it. It still runs very well, but it will be better on the iPad 2 due to it having more RAM on board. Literally every other one of the 250,000+ apps will run perfectly on it, as far as I'm aware.

I think if you bought an iPad 3, given the screen resolution and CPU speed, it will still be going strongly in 2 or 3 years time. The screen resolution is amazing - this thing is under 10 inches and it has better definition than a 50" TV.

And, another important thing - the iPad is made by Apple. As such it will hold value better than any other piece of technology you can buy. Our 32gb iPad cost £499 - they are still going on eBay for £250-£280. That's a big down-payment on upgrading.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

whats your thoughts?

All depends. I'm currently using an Apple MacbookPro which is heading into it's 6th year, and is fine. It may well be out dated as there have been many many MBP models since, but this runs all my CAD and creative software and Lion fine. I've also set up my old 2004 iBook G4 for my kids to use, and that still works really well running OSX 10.4. It's 8 years old, but I'm impressed it still works so well.

If it's well looked after, there is no reason a device won't go on doing what you want it to do for at least 5 years. New ones will come out and do more, but if you're happy, the lifespan is really what you get out of it. I know many people still using their iPhone 3G, now 4 years old and they are fine. Way behind the 4S of course, but still great for their needs.

As for software, like the iPhone 3G, you have to stop at the software release that is the limit for your device. Again, the device will carry on being usable, but whether it suits what you use it for is down to you.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've ordered one, I have the original iPad which is now showing a few weaknesses such as not being able to use facetime and iMovie and iPhoto not supported on them as a result. I can't wait to see the new screen, the iPhone screen is stunning but on a larger scale it will be awesome!

The missus is going to have the old one as she doesn't need the new features so everyones happy. Now to justify a new Apple TV as well. :)

D

Deleted member 18477

Our original iPad is now 2 years old and does everything very well still, other than anything where you need a camera, as it hasn't got one. For all other functions it's fine. I'm only aware of one app - the 800mb behemoth Garageband - that doesn't run perfectly on it. It still runs very well, but it will be better on the iPad 2 due to it having more RAM on board. Literally every other one of the 250,000+ apps will run perfectly on it, as far as I'm aware.

I think if you bought an iPad 3, given the screen resolution and CPU speed, it will still be going strongly in 2 or 3 years time. The screen resolution is amazing - this thing is under 10 inches and it has better definition than a 50" TV.

And, another important thing - the iPad is made by Apple. As such it will hold value better than any other piece of technology you can buy. Our 32gb iPad cost £499 - they are still going on eBay for £250-£280. That's a big down-payment on upgrading.

All depends. I'm currently using an Apple MacbookPro which is heading into it's 6th year, and is fine. It may well be out dated as there have been many many MBP models since, but this runs all my CAD and creative software and Lion fine. I've also set up my old 2004 iBook G4 for my kids to use, and that still works really well running OSX 10.4. It's 8 years old, but I'm impressed it still works so well.

If it's well looked after, there is no reason a device won't go on doing what you want it to do for at least 5 years. New ones will come out and do more, but if you're happy, the lifespan is really what you get out of it. I know many people still using their iPhone 3G, now 4 years old and they are fine. Way behind the 4S of course, but still great for their needs.

As for software, like the iPhone 3G, you have to stop at the software release that is the limit for your device. Again, the device will carry on being usable, but whether it suits what you use it for is down to you.

yea i get what you're saying. i still have the iphone 3gs. obviously that is now getting towards the stage where it wont be capable of the latest software update. think im going to go for it and get the new ipad! the amount of times ive sat on the sofa with both my phone and laptop and thought i wish i could just have a bigger iphone on my lap...

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I’m going over to the states at the beginning of May and was contemplating perching an Ipad 3 over there.
The price differences is is the obvious advantage a 21% saving on 64gb i.e. £442 us price vs £559 uk price.
What are the disadvantages and why would you recommend not follow this course of action.
Much appreciated
Anthony

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m going over to the states at the beginning of May and was contemplating perching an Ipad 3 over there.
The price differences is is the obvious advantage a 21% saving on 64gb i.e. £442 us price vs £559 uk price.
What are the disadvantages and why would you recommend not follow this course of action.
Much appreciated
Anthony

No disadvantages at all - the Apple store here in the UK will treat it as they treat a UK supplied one if you ever have to go back and see them.

It will, of course, be above your personal customs limit so I trust you will be, ahem, declaring it upon your return to the UK ;)

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I appreciate not everybody has the ability to obtain one from the states but it’s crazy that you can get a refurbished one from the UK for £289 and a brand new one from states for £252.

D

Deleted member 18477

I appreciate not everybody has the ability to obtain one from the states but it’s crazy that you can get a refurbished one from the UK for £289 and a brand new one from states for £252.

it's all about Tax mate! and yes its a f***ing joke! america only has like 7.5% VAT or something. but then they have to pay for their own health and stuff sooo swings and roundabouts i suppose.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone here use an iPad mostly for business? Will be getting either a laptop or iPad hopefully in the next year or so and was wondering how well kitted out they are for emails/internet/hooking up to printers/storing files etc?

Any reason I should get a laptop over an iPad, for business?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I use an ipad for business but not as my only device, I use a laptop when at my desk but the ipad is a useful tool for meetings and when I am away form my desk to keep up to date and edit docs etc. I no longer use pen and paper instead take notes etc on the ipad which saves me time writing stuff up. I can also monitor any work coming in and access emails etc away form my desk and on the move.

I wouldn't use it as my only device though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can anyone explain the 'ultra fast wireless' pertains to in the blurb for the new ipad? Is that only if you get one with a SIM?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I like the Kindle Fire – does everything I want and is less than half the price of the iPad. Amazon is selling it below cost as they know you will use the Amazon store for music and movies. The screen size is smaller but that’s no big deal. I don’t think it will be available (or useable) in the UK for some time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i will update my ipad2 as its current value on say ebay isn't too far off a brand new iPad 3...its something i use every day in various situations ...whereas my macbook i'm happy to keep until it falls apart

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I use an ipad for business but not as my only device, I use a laptop when at my desk but the ipad is a useful tool for meetings and when I am away form my desk to keep up to date and edit docs etc. I no longer use pen and paper instead take notes etc on the ipad which saves me time writing stuff up. I can also monitor any work coming in and access emails etc away form my desk and on the move.

I wouldn't use it as my only device though.

Thanks, useful info.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I like the Kindle Fire – does everything I want and is less than half the price of the iPad. Amazon is selling it below cost as they know you will use the Amazon store for music and movies. The screen size is smaller but that’s no big deal. I don’t think it will be available (or useable) in the UK for some time.

They are nice pieces of kit for sure, but it's a case of apples and oranges, no pun intended, when it comes to a direct comparison with an iPad.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here