Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downtime next week [Apple content] - iPad 3/HD day today!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
i will update my ipad2 as its current value on say ebay isn't too far off a brand new iPad 3...its something i use every day in various situations ...whereas my macbook i'm happy to keep until it falls apart

This.

I think the appeal of Apple products for me is that they really do last. My Dad has my seven year old iMac and it's still better than any other computer he's had.

I've found with Apple stuff, the only reason I upgrade is because of the pull factor of another (better) product, rather than the failings of the one I currently have... if you see what I mean.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Danke. Thing is, as soon as it mentions getting a wireless keyboard, that's no more portable than a MacBook. Still cheaper though, obviously.

Well, you'd have to decide your use for it really. If I was going to use the iPad as my computer at a desk, I'd definitely get a keyboard, but for taking it out and about, I probably wouldn't bother.

The apple refurb store has got some good value MacBook Air's for comparison - http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Like you say though, £400 iPad with £100 worth of accessories is still saving you £250 odd if you think the iPad can do everything you need.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Danke. Thing is, as soon as it mentions getting a wireless keyboard, that's no more portable than a MacBook. Still cheaper though, obviously.

i kept my wireless keyboard from a previous iMac package thinking i would use it a lot with my iPad...i don't..the onboard one i find fine for documents etc...i only connect it up when i am doing a session of letters

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Apple people - I'm wilting, I think I'm going to move to the dark side and buy a iMac - I sit in front of a pc all day, so happy that I will retain my windows 'skills'.

Couple of questions - Is there availability of freeware? I use Open Office at home and see this is available for osx, but is this the norm?

Secondly, mostly I will be surfing, storing and playing music and editing and storing photos along with a bit of the normal home admin stuff - Any reason why I wouldn't get the basic £999 model? Any advice gratefully received.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Apple people - I'm wilting, I think I'm going to move to the dark side and buy a iMac - I sit in front of a pc all day, so happy that I will retain my windows 'skills'.

Couple of questions - Is there availability of freeware? I use Open Office at home and see this is available for osx, but is this the norm?

Secondly, mostly I will be surfing, storing and playing music and editing and storing photos along with a bit of the normal home admin stuff - Any reason why I wouldn't get the basic £999 model? Any advice gratefully received.

I use a Macbook Air for work, only things we bought were Microsoft Office & Omni Professional suite (Visio alternative), everything else is freeware. Depends what you need though.

Sounds like it will work though for what you want. I have a Macbook Pro for similar (and a couple of RAM intensive apps) and had 0 problems in 2.5 years.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

I bought a Macbook Pro with the same concerns as you but what I quickly found was that with the exception of the office suite, open office is fine by the way. Most of the software you need comes installed on the MAC when it arrives. I bought the £999 Macbook pro and it is fast responsive and works great, had it about 8 months now and love it.

There isn't as much freeware available as on PCs but for pretty much every task you want to perform there is something free that will do the job. Also if you already have a Win 7 license you can download virtualbox for free and install a virtual Win 7 box to do anything windowsy on. Not that I use the win 7 VM since I got the machine but its nice to know its there if required.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Apple peps, whats that website I see you put up sometimes, that shows the next possible upgrade date for each product, thanks in advance if this makes sense.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Question : Is the new iPad actualy called iPad 3 - was just browsing the Apple store and they don't see to call it that. They call it the "new iPad" or 3rd generation. But they do say it delivers in 2-3 weeks (was it really necessary to say "limited to 2 per order").

Yes the naming is weird. So they went ipad, ipad 2, now called the new one ipad, with the ipad 2 now being called 2nd generation ipad.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes the naming is weird. So they went ipad, ipad 2, now called the new one ipad, with the ipad 2 now being called 2nd generation ipad.

Ah, it's not just me then. I'm no Apple expert, I thought I was missing something. It was defintely the new one on the store though, as it listed the Retina display. I am weakening, so I don't think it will be long before I jump in.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Its not really that wierd, otherwise we would be on the iPod Nano 6 or the iPod touch 4 now.. The iMacs and Macbook Pros don't have numbered names either i think they are just doing away with it for simplicity sake, i wouldn't be surprised if the next iphone was just called the iPhone (6th generation)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Question : Is the new iPad actualy called iPad 3 - was just browsing the Apple store and they don't see to call it that. They call it the "new iPad" or 3rd generation. But they do say it delivers in 2-3 weeks (was it really necessary to say "limited to 2 per order").

The limit 2 per order was in when the delivery date was this friday but they have sold out of pre-order stock now which is why its 2-3 weeks. Thankfully mine has already been shipped and is with UPS apparently. Looking forward to a Friday delivery now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
New iPads will be being picked up RIGHT NOW from Apple Stores across the country and being delivered nationwide all day.

How 'citin'!

Argos seem to have stocks of various models for those who have only just made their mind up.

D

Deleted member 18477

New iPads will be being picked up RIGHT NOW from Apple Stores across the country and being delivered nationwide all day.

How 'citin'!

Argos seem to have stocks of various models for those who have only just made their mind up.

I ordered mine and it said delivery estimate 30th. Joke! Although it means I don't have to queue anywhere!

D

Deleted member 18477

You ordered quite late on then - those who got in quick are getting their shiny toys today.

think i ordered it 3 days after it came out for pre-sale. off the official apple store as well. not too bothered though, i've resisted until now to buy one, another few days wont harm.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I use Open Office for my business and find it excellent for my needs. I actually recommended it to a friend who has rolled it out on every machine in his office of about 15 rather than upgrade the MS Office packages they had.

Open Office might have it's limitations over MS Office, but for those of us whole only use basic spreadsheets and word processing, I find it excellent and very easy to use. (I don't know what I mean by basic exactly, I just know I've always found MS Office frustrating due to all the added in features it has that I never use but somehow they add a layer of complexity to the software).

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
think i ordered it 3 days after it came out for pre-sale. off the official apple store as well. not too bothered though, i've resisted until now to buy one, another few days wont harm.

I ordered mine the day of the announcement, I think by the next day the delivery dates were out a couple of weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here