• Yes

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 66.1%

• Total voters

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's obvious when our players are playing well. There's no debate - everyone agrees. Kuzczsak is great, Bruno is good...err...

But you see my point. There's no discussion. However, if you have an issue with someone being selected (e.g. Dunk - prior to yesterday's debacle) and discuss it, people can debate their opinion. That's the difference.

I am not stupid. I can see we've got a lot of good players at the club and we've come a long way since the days of being dicked on at Withdean. But there's no discussion there, there's no conversation starter, hence I don't start a thread on it.

How about
Should Dunk retain his place following El-Abds recovery from injury? (before the palace game obviously as it looked like he was going to be fit again and available) ie, should El-Abd have walked back into the team or did Dunk do enough to keep his spot.

Which Target player do you think should we be trying to sign?

Will we be top / stay top / where will we finish the season?

Topics about other clubs being interested in our players as potential signings (CMS to Norwich being one) / hanging onto our players in the transfer window

Most undervalued player in our team? youngsters, will they break through or should they go out on loan to develop?

Plenty of potential topics, and none of those discuss specific matches / incidents etc... which give plenty more subjects and all were worthy of discussion earlier in the season, and none are negative so clearly there are plenty of things that are worth of debate without having to be negative all the time.

But then your not interested in us doing well (as the line above your avatar shows) otherwise you would have posted and joined in discussions when we were doing well.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
20 goals at this level in 3 years. Murray has almost scored that amount in 3 months.

How many had Murray scored at Championship level prior to leaving us?

Probably because last season we naively thought Gus would eventually sign a proper target man to replace him, rather than telling us all summer it was his priority signing, only to go and fork out for a very average midget instead at the last minute.

Who was available that we missed out on because we couldn't offer enough money to during the summer?

Or should he have brought anyone in just so we had a player who we could call a target man but may not have been up to the task?

And Dobbie has done well at this level in the past and i thought several clubs were interested in signing him when we did so were they all wrong or is it just that he hasn't been given an extended run yet (because CMS has done well this season with 9 in 16)

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Glen Murray, League 1 striker who just won the league and promotion to the Championship was reportedly asking for £14k per week (if reports on here are to be believed.)

Sorry, but I feel that is absolute bollocks.

That article states that he got a 75% pay rise by joining Palace. If that figure is true, then there is no way that he ended up getting anywhere near 14k a week.

Most people felt the season we walked league 1, he was on between 3-4k. A 75% increase on that would take him to a maximum of 7k a week. There is no way we were paying £8k (75% increase would equal 14k) a week for a striker in league 1 whilst playing at Withdean, i'd put my house on that.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Everyone knows now that the decision with Murray was a poor one. Exaggerated by our strikers poor form.

Gus, please find us an decent replacement so we can put it all behind us and move on.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton

Completely unrelated but you remind me of a poster called London Irish...

That's all...

Now, back to the topic, I think it's slightly unfair to tar Dobbie with the useless brush just yet, fair enough he hasn't performed well yet but he hasn't had a fair crack in the side yet and probably won't all the while we decide to over defend!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
How about
Should Dunk retain his place following El-Abds recovery from injury? (before the palace game obviously as it looked like he was going to be fit again and available) ie, should El-Abd have walked back into the team or did Dunk do enough to keep his spot.

Which Target player do you think should we be trying to sign?

Will we be top / stay top / where will we finish the season?

Topics about other clubs being interested in our players as potential signings (CMS to Norwich being one) / hanging onto our players in the transfer window

Most undervalued player in our team? youngsters, will they break through or should they go out on loan to develop?

Plenty of potential topics, and none of those discuss specific matches / incidents etc... which give plenty more subjects and all were worthy of discussion earlier in the season, and none are negative so clearly there are plenty of things that are worth of debate without having to be negative all the time.

But then your not interested in us doing well (as the line above your avatar shows) otherwise you would have posted and joined in discussions when we were doing well.

1) I posted that Greer and El-abd were better than Dunk on one of the many dull Greer bashing threads on here last weekend, wasn't any point in starting a new thread on the same topic that was already active.

2) Don't really care what anyone thinks about players from other clubs that they know nothing about other than a few clips from the Football League Show, more concerned about what people think about the players we regularly watch. Plus, NSC has a track record of picking unrealistic targets, several people already asking for us to sign Charlie Austin!!

3) What's there to discuss? Will CMS go to Norwich? Nobody has a clue, so the best reply you can get from a thread like that is 200 people saying 'maybe'.

4) Most undervalued player in our team. Valued by who? Don't really care about this sort of thread as all it would do is highlight people who have a favourite player that isn't Buckley, Bridcutt or TK.

So I'm not interested in dull, positive threads - it Doesn't mean I'm not interested in having a football team that's performing in a positive manner.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I find it hard to accept that we let Murray go just for financial reasons alone. Maybe a judgement call was made on his perceived ability to adapt to the Championship versus him asking for a specific length contract. It's one of these things that we will never know.

I'm sure if Gus really wanted to retain Murray then funds could have been found.

100% this. The fact is that for some reason Gus didn't rate Murray. The rest, as they say, is history. I suspect that Gus knows that he messed up badly with Murray but raking it all over time and time again isn't going to make things any better.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Everyone knows now that the decision with Murray was a poor one. Exaggerated by our strikers poor form.

Gus, please find us an decent replacement so we can put it all behind us and move on.

I think that the success or otherwise of our season will depend on that elusive striker being found in January. But can we trust Gus to get the right man in? Let's hope so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That article states that he got a 75% pay rise by joining Palace. If that figure is true, then there is no way that he ended up getting anywhere near 14k a week.

Most people felt the season we walked league 1, he was on between 3-4k. A 75% increase on that would take him to a maximum of 7k a week. There is no way we were paying £8k (75% increase would equal 14k) a week for a striker in league 1 whilst playing at Withdean, i'd put my house on that.

I understood that to mean 75% more than we offered him, not what his League 1 wage was. I was told that we offered him double his wage and he turned it down.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The reason we let Murray go, in pure and simple terms, is down to a personality clash with Gus. He can put out as many comments as he wants about us being unable to afford his demands (unable to afford is very different to unprepared to pay), but the economics of it just don't stack up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think that the success or otherwise of our season will depend on that elusive striker being found in January. But can we trust Gus to get the right man in? Let's hope so.

try to be a bit more positive zeb..its not all doom and gloom...somethings are how one chooses to look at things...easy to join a bandwagon of doom and gloom after a crappy defeat

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

'Most people felt' or in other words nobody knows and it is a complete guess. It's not public information and we are never likely to find out the true figures but seeing as players are earning £20k in the Premier league, a league awash with TV money, high value sponsorship deals, etc is it reasonable to pay an unproven lower league striker a big wage in a division which doesn't have anywhere near this level of money available.

The Palace owners state they are losing money yet still chose to splash out on Murray, it's their gamble but it doesn't mean we should follow suit. We have a chairman who has stated that we are going to try to slowly build rather than go mad in terms of wages / transfer fees to try to secure promotion straight away, and seeing our recent club history, we are better off by living within our means rather than risking the club and its future again and building up even more debt. Hasn't Bloom spent enough already by spending what he has on the ground and training facilities without having to go mad in the transfer window too like Leicester did (without success) Money doesn't guarantee results.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The reason we let Murray go, in pure and simple terms, is down to a personality clash with Gus. He can put out as many comments as he wants about us being unable to afford his demands (unable to afford is very different to unprepared to pay), but the economics of it just don't stack up.

A player that used to be at Brighton once told me that there was only room for one ego at the club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A player that used to be at Brighton once told me that there was only room for one ego at the club.

I could understand that if it referred to Nicky Forster but Murray doesn't have an ego. He is quite shy and doesn't like any attention or limelight.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

interesting isent it this Murray bit..so much chat ..and difficult to pick out the tidbits of truth amidst all the stuff that people 'in the know' claim is the story....last season he did very little

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
try to be a bit more positive zeb..its not all doom and gloom...somethings are how one chooses to look at things...easy to join a bandwagon of doom and gloom after a crappy defeat

You're probably right. It wasn't the defeat that upset me on Saturday but the manner in which it occurred. For a derby game with a lot riding on it, at least for the fans, I thought the players showed precious little passion and commitment and seemed to have little sense of the occasion and what it meant. I hate big games - we almost always tend to f**k them up.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
1) I posted that Greer and El-abd were better than Dunk on one of the many dull Greer bashing threads on here last weekend, wasn't any point in starting a new thread on the same topic that was already active.

2) Don't really care what anyone thinks about players from other clubs that they know nothing about other than a few clips from the Football League Show, more concerned about what people think about the players we regularly watch. Plus, NSC has a track record of picking unrealistic targets, several people already asking for us to sign Charlie Austin!!

3) What's there to discuss? Will CMS go to Norwich? Nobody has a clue, so the best reply you can get from a thread like that is 200 people saying 'maybe'.

4) Most undervalued player in our team. Valued by who? Don't really care about this sort of thread as all it would do is highlight people who have a favourite player that isn't Buckley, Bridcutt or TK.

So I'm not interested in dull, positive threads - it Doesn't mean I'm not interested in having a football team that's performing in a positive manner.

Why do you feel the need to start a new thread to have a discussion?

There has been plenty of threads on Murray / Poyet etc that this could have been added to.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
He says he couldn't afford Glenn Murray at a time when he could afford £1m Buckley (good signing), £2.5m CMS (and rising, woefully overpriced), 500k Hoskins (crap signing) and Vicente's wages (great player, joke signing).

Do you believe Gus? Or is he a filthy liar.

Bare in mind he's already lied this week, saying we'd had a good week and almost have a fully fit squad" despite losing Bridge, El-abd AND Painter. This is of course understandable, lieing in a (failed) attempt to deceit the opposition. But if he can lie to opponents, why can't he lie to his supporters in a pathetic attempt to defend the most catastrophic cock up imaginable?

Trust in Gus? Bollocks to that.

Palace are missing one of there idiots i see! suggest you should stay at withdean if you that against what you see at the mo come back when theres a new manger

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here