• Yes

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 66.1%

• Total voters

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Didn't he ask for 15k a week? If so his wages weren't too much but a lot of the other players would have wanted pay rises and any new signings would have expected higher wages.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We need a quote from Poyet saying he couldn't afford to keep him. That is what the whole thread is directed towards. I am struggling to remember him saying that.

There was something in Fridays Argus about it, although I only scanned it tonight as my curry was ready! :thumbsup:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
No, my post is nothing about budget, it's about whether what Gus says is true or not.

Well ask it in an untwattish way then rather than attempt to purely bathe in the responses of the easily antagonised or the likeminded miseryguts by being "provocative".
You could ask whether any other fan needs to be told the God's honest truth on every occasion, or if they're aware that a manager who exposes their own weaknesses is a bit of a simpleton for feeding the arsenal of their opponents.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So your original post is aimed at TB clearly then as well as Gus!?

Tony Bloom is above criticism at the moment for forking out for the stadium. When we missed out or lost players under Dick Knight, he took the blame too. That's despite having a chief exec/managing director who got the boot but the replacement is getting criticised for everything including Gully's Girls.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tony Bloom is above criticism at the moment for forking out for the stadium. When we missed out or lost players under Dick Knight, he took the blame too. That's despite having a chief exec/managing director who got the boot but the replacement is getting criticised for everything including Gully's Girls.

It is a pointless thread on so many levels.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In the pre-match conference before Palace. He said outright that we couldn't afford what he was demanding.

West Brom star Liam Ridgewell, 28-year-old earns £20,000-a-week with the high-flying Midlands club

Glen Murray, League 1 striker who just won the league and promotion to the Championship was reportedly asking for £14k per week (if reports on here are to be believed.)

Maybe Gus thought we couldn't afford it in terms of
a) being able to use that money better on another player who was proven (and possibly cheaper)
b) didn't think he was worth that much and therefore priced himself out of staying (ie, can't afford to pay his over inflated wage for an unproven player at that level)
c) he had a budget to stick to, what if he spent that much on Murray and he flopped, we couldn't sell him or afford to release him and would be stuck with him for 2 or 3 years (or however long he was demanding)
d) by paying Murray that much meant that his budget wouldn't have covered the transfer fees and wages of the players we did sign like Buckley and CMS (who scored more goals than Murray in a poorer side in Peterborough)
e) Gus put a value on him and he wanted more so in that sense, we couldn't afford him
or f) a combination of some or all of the above (or even more reasons).

All managers make decisions, some work out, some don't and in this case its backfired but if / when we sign someone who does well and could fire us to success then everyone will forget about Murray

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hindsight is always clear but at the time Hoskins was knocking in goals for fun in a team fighting relegation, CMS had scored 34 goals and Murray 22. Who appeared to be the better player AT THE TIME?
There wasn't this hand wringing last season when Murray scored 7 in 46.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hindsight is always clear but at the time Hoskins was knocking in goals for fun in a team fighting relegation, CMS had scored 34 goals and Murray 22. Who appeared to be the better player AT THE TIME?
There wasn't this hand wringing last season when Murray scored 7 in 46.

Probably because last season we naively thought Gus would eventually sign a proper target man to replace him, rather than telling us all summer it was his priority signing, only to go and fork out for a very average midget instead at the last minute.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
From what I know, Murray left for more money (obviously). His wife apparently left him because she didn't like living in Brighton ( Being a northern girl ), divorced him and well and truly took him to the dry cleaners. Palace offered him more money, supposedly only a couple more grand than what we offered with a tax-free signing on fee.

Can you honestly blame him? IF it was me, I'd probably do that same. :shrug:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
He says he couldn't afford Glenn Murray at a time when he could afford £1m Buckley (good signing), £2.5m CMS (and rising, woefully overpriced), 500k Hoskins (crap signing) and Vicente's wages (great player, joke signing).

Do you believe Gus? Or is he a filthy liar.

Bare in mind he's already lied this week, saying we'd had a good week and almost have a fully fit squad" despite losing Bridge, El-abd AND Painter. This is of course understandable, lieing in a (failed) attempt to deceit the opposition. But if he can lie to opponents, why can't he lie to his supporters in a pathetic attempt to defend the most catastrophic cock up imaginable?

Trust in Gus? Bollocks to that.

Blooming JCLs ...go and support another club then.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Probably because last season we naively thought Gus would eventually sign a proper target man to replace him, rather than telling us all summer it was his priority signing, only to go and fork out for a very average midget instead at the last minute.

Dobbie is average? I don't think Swansea or Blackpool fans would agree. Have I completed your Nsc Bingo card yet?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Dobbie is average? I don't think Swansea or Blackpool fans would agree. Have I completed your Nsc Bingo card yet?

20 goals at this level in 3 years. Murray has almost scored that amount in 3 months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here