Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicker / Tunnicliffe update ... "Poised to sign"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hinshelwood, sadly, has lost any pace he once had since injuring his knees three times.

I actually felt sorry for him at times last season, so embarrassed was he by a couple of opponents. It's a shame it's not worked out for the bloke, as he once looked like being a really solid defender. But he's not up to it any more, so letting him go was 100% the right decision.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I should add that El Abd is infuriatingly error-prone, and Hawkins is just Hawkins, so all new centre halves are welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I love Owain Fon Williams. :love:

I am FURIOUS about Tunnicliffe though, he could be world class for all I care, I'm pissed off because Hinshelwood was dumped and then we go and sign a new centre back who won't be anywhere near as experienced or, in my opinion, as good! And we've still got Hawkins and El-Bad! :rant:

If you are serious then that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. At the end of last season you were obsessed with Russell Slade but now after he releases a few players you like you seem to moan about everything. It is a really irritating attitude. Everyone else seems really happy about these signings and you are the only person who is moaning.

As it has clearly not got through to you yet, El Abd (although the El Bad joke as ever is hilarious) and Hawkins are both under contract whereas Hinshelwood was out of contract (and sadly injury prone) so was released.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Also.. his regular presence at CB for a decent footballing side in Stockport season, combined with Gannon's quote of Tunnicliffe having "all the attributes of a top class modern-day central defender", suggests he probably has the ability to pass it out of defence, and so forth build from the back. Which is something we saw very little of last season. Though some would argue that was down to a lack of midfield.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hinshelwood, sadly, has lost any pace he once had since injuring his knees three times.

I actually felt sorry for him at times last season, so embarrassed was he by a couple of opponents. It's a shame it's not worked out for the bloke, as he once looked like being a really solid defender. But he's not up to it any more, so letting him go was 100% the right decision.

I would agree 100% we need to buy better players if we are intent on moving up divisions.

Hope Hinsh gets fixed up with a Div 2 side where he will prosper,somebody like Bournemouth or Aldershot.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree Hinshelwood lost a yard of pace, but everything else which has been said about him I disagree with. He is classy, a real Rolls Royce defender and I'm amazed others didn't appreciate how good he was for us when he played. Obviously the Crewe game was poor, but he was injured anyway. And obviously the own goal was a joke. But he played so well at Shrewsbury and Swindon, I know the standard of opposition wasn't great but that's League 1 for you! It's not great, and for me, Hinshelwood is a brilliant league 1 defender.

I hope this Tunnicliffe bloke is as good as people rave about him. I can't even imagine he'll get in the team to start with anyway.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
...I'm amazed others didn't appreciate how good he was for us when he played.

Pretty much all Brighton fans (and the U21 manager) though he wad decent, but he was too much of a risk. We gave him more time than most clubs would and he came back as a lozer than average League One defender. Best in both accounts to part ways. The silence is deafening.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I agree Hinshelwood lost a yard of pace, but everything else which has been said about him I disagree with. He is classy, a real Rolls Royce defender and I'm amazed others didn't appreciate how good he was for us when he played. Obviously the Crewe game was poor, but he was injured anyway. And obviously the own goal was a joke. But he played so well at Shrewsbury and Swindon, I know the standard of opposition wasn't great but that's League 1 for you! It's not great, and for me, Hinshelwood is a brilliant league 1 defender.

I hope this Tunnicliffe bloke is as good as people rave about him. I can't even imagine he'll get in the team to start with anyway.

Well Shrewsbury are League 2...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I didn't like him before he started playing last season, I couldn't believe we kept signing the guy! I couldn't believe he kept getting contracts... but when he started playing it all made sense. Quality defender, genuine quality. He needs to have a quick bloke next to him, or be playing in a team defending deep, but in terms of actual defending, he's pretty damn good. His fitness will be a worry until he can get a full and mostly uninterupted season behind him, but in general, he's a cracking player and I would assume he'll sign for someone soon.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I didn't like him before he started playing last season, I couldn't believe we kept signing the guy! I couldn't believe he kept getting contracts... but when he started playing it all made sense. Quality defender, genuine quality. He needs to have a quick bloke next to him, or be playing in a team defending deep, but in terms of actual defending, he's pretty damn good. His fitness will be a worry until he can get a full and mostly uninterupted season behind him, but in general, he's a cracking player and I would assume he'll sign for someone soon.

He has no pace and he has no height - two important attributes for a defender.

Throw in the 'sicknote' thing, and the fact that his positionally play is often appalling, then you are simply relying on the fact that he is a good reader of play.

The injury has ruined him. The fact that you can't see this doesn't surprise me, I do wonder sometimes...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He has no pace and he has no height - two important attributes for a defender.

Throw in the 'sicknote' thing, and the fact that his positionally play is often appalling, then you are simply relying on the fact that he is a good reader of play.

The injury has ruined him. The fact that you can't see this doesn't surprise me, I do wonder sometimes...

Yeah, two very important attributes for a defender. But he's not a midget, and he knew how to put people off without winning headers. You don't have to be massive to be a centre back, but it helps. And you don't have to be lightning quick either... though it does help to be one or the other. Paolo Maldini is the same height as Hinshelwood, and not much quicker. How about that for a tongue in cheek example?

His ability to read the play is brilliant though, wouldn't you agree? You were at Swindon, you saw for yourself how easily he defended Simon Cox out of the game. He is a classy defender, more a Puyol than a Vidic and I like that type of defender, I'm a footballing purist at heart and like footballers who can play the game. And Hinshelwood can. If I were a manager in this league, I would have Hinshelwood at the back, no question. We disagree alot, WW, but unlike alot of people I do respect your opinion in most cases, this being one of them. Hinshelwood is just my type of player, class technically.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
i must admit, before his injury, hinsh was class. I honestly thought he was destined for the very top. Then after too many years and too many injuries, he came on as an early sub at Shrewsbury after being recalled from his loan spell at Lewes and i thought, poor sod talk about not standing a chance, hes not fully fit and will probably end up getting injured again. Hinsh was a bit slower but still a class act imho. Sorry to see him go.

Now to the future, if this Tunnicliffe has half the potential that the young Hinsh had then hes already too good for league 1. Sounds like a very good signing.:thumbsup:

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Albion Poised for Double Swoop
Posted on: Wed 24 Jun 2009
Club Statement

Albion are poised to sign Stockport County duo Gary Dicker and 20-year-old central defender James Tunnicliffe.

Having been granted permission to speak to both players earlier today by County's administrators, the club has agreed personal terms with both players.

The pair will undergo medicals tomorrow, before completing the necessary paperwork.

Further details will appear on seagulls.co.uk when they become available.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Yeah, two very important attributes for a defender. But he's not a midget, and he knew how to put people off without winning headers. You don't have to be massive to be a centre back, but it helps. And you don't have to be lightning quick either... though it does help to be one or the other. Paolo Maldini is the same height as Hinshelwood, and not much quicker. How about that for a tongue in cheek example?

His ability to read the play is brilliant though, wouldn't you agree? You were at Swindon, you saw for yourself how easily he defended Simon Cox out of the game. He is a classy defender, more a Puyol than a Vidic and I like that type of defender, I'm a footballing purist at heart and like footballers who can play the game. And Hinshelwood can. If I were a manager in this league, I would have Hinshelwood at the back, no question. We disagree alot, WW, but unlike alot of people I do respect your opinion in most cases, this being one of them. Hinshelwood is just my type of player, class technically.

Hinshelwood before his injury would walk into most sides in this division, the fact is he has been out injured for the best part of 3 years, not 3 months 3 years. That would affect anyone confidence, the best an injury prone Hinsh can hope for is a year at a league one club, I do hope yo be proven wrong.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I think Stockport fans should appreciate the fact that we have basically staved off them getting wound up rather than moan we are poaching their players. I honestly feel for them given our history but they have to face facts and admit that the current fire sale of players to raise funds is the only option.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think Stockport fans should appreciate the fact that we have basically staved off them getting wound up rather than moan we are poaching their players. I honestly feel for them given our history but they have to face facts and admit that the current fire sale of players to raise funds is the only option.

they will moan like f*** and so they should but it wont really be aimed at us - rather their own version of archer and bellotti.

good luck to them

hope they win their fight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here