Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clubs sniffing around Dicker now

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I come down somewhere between the two points - this season I think its a good idea to wait until April/May time when we'll have a clearer view of where we're likely to be next season. HOWEVER, as of next season I'm with samtheseagull - if we're in the Championship we can't afford to lose good players on the cheap. Admittedly it hasn't happened yet, and I have faith in the management/board, but all of you abusing samtheseagull, can you HONESTLY say you haven't feared, for even a second, these players might go? Your best players' contracts shouldn't generally be allowed to run down, you renew to stave off this sort of stand-off where you have to accept a lesser transfer fee than they're worth in January, overpay on a new contract at the last minute, or let a prize asset walk out on a free. Right now though, every player is playing to prove he deserves a Championship contract. If they're not worthy, Gus is right to let it run down and then re-invest in the summer.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
i didnt argue over 4 pages, im not going to write something i cant back up am i. i wrote one word wrong. so are you going to admit that you were wrong about barnes? samthedickhead is class you must do some stand up one day!
You just have. You've argued over something, when your initial comment was wrong, so you can't back it up. You haven't backed it up. You've backtracked. So you were wrong. Pure and simple.

And no, I'm not going to admit I was wrong about Barnes. I said when I wrote what I did, my opinion of him is over many games, and I'll change my opinion after many games, not just because he has one or two good games. Unlike yourself, I'm not one of those that call for head when we lose a game, and licks the same arse when we win one.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
You just have. You've argued over something, when your initial comment was wrong, so you can't back it up. You haven't backed it up. You've backtracked. So you were wrong. Pure and simple.

And no, I'm not going to admit I was wrong about Barnes. I said when I wrote what I did, my opinion of him is over many games, and I'll change my opinion after many games, not just because he has one or two good games. Unlike yourself, I'm not one of those that call for head when we lose a game, and licks the same arse when we win one.

you are talking shit now. "unlike yourself" i have never slaged a player off, and never will.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I know it's a tribunal/fee agreed for contract expiries whilst an equivalent offer is made when the player is under 24, I assume the cut off date is the day his contract runs out. Can't be sure though.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
According to wikipedia he was born 31st July 1986 so 25 this coming birthday

Then I *think* he'd go on a free. His contract will expire at the end of June, when the season is over, so he'd be 24 on that date. Unless it's '24 and under', rather than 'under 24'?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
EDIT: From Wiki:

"The club acquiring the player does not have to pay any compensation for their release due to having nothing left to pay on their contract, hence, the term free transfer. Some individual leagues have restrictions to protect academies. For example, in the UK, players under 23 who are out of contract are only available on a free transfer if released by the club holding the players' licence. Another type of free transfer is when a player is transferred from one club to another for no price, sometimes a transfer for a nominal fee is credited as a free transfer. With six months or less remaining on an existing contract for players aged 23 or older, they are free to negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre-contract, indicating their ability to move to their intended club on a Bosman transfer once the next transfer window opens."

The only bit missed from this is <6 months left on the contract entitles the player to talk to foreign clubs, not English ones. That cannot be done, I believe, until there is 1 month left on his contract (i.e. May).

So Dicker, who is 24, and Murray, (26/27?) can talk to foreign clubs as of now. They can talk to other English clubs in May, if they intend to leave rather than renew their contracts.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
I think gary dicker is coming of age, he breaks up play so well and gets stuck in, not a lot of pace but what he does technically, is brilliant as soon as the opposition start an attack bang!! dicker is in there, would be a shame to see this player sold, but hey...we are on the up and with more money, bigger stadium, attracts good players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
i mean dicker,bridcutt and murray. am i the only one worried that 3 very good players at our club are nearly out of contract?

Ever heard of a guy called Alan Navarro?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Once again? Who have we lost because we haven't given a contract to?

Well, I disagree with samtheseagull's negativity, but wasn't the nicky forster situation last season brought on by the club's refusal to sort out contracts (except el abd's)?
And if we don't restrain ourselves to the poyet/bloom era, I recall Dean Hammond claiming the clubs reluctance to sort out his contract as soon as he triggered a clause in his contract was part of the reason he decided to leave (though increasingly players leaving like to paint the club as the bad guy, and clubs like to paint the leaving player as the bad guy, so who knows)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I come down somewhere between the two points - this season I think its a good idea to wait until April/May time when we'll have a clearer view of where we're likely to be next season. HOWEVER, as of next season I'm with samtheseagull - if we're in the Championship we can't afford to lose good players on the cheap. Admittedly it hasn't happened yet, and I have faith in the management/board, but all of you abusing samtheseagull, can you HONESTLY say you haven't feared, for even a second, these players might go? Your best players' contracts shouldn't generally be allowed to run down, you renew to stave off this sort of stand-off where you have to accept a lesser transfer fee than they're worth in January, overpay on a new contract at the last minute, or let a prize asset walk out on a free. Right now though, every player is playing to prove he deserves a Championship contract. If they're not worthy, Gus is right to let it run down and then re-invest in the summer.

I fear that we will lose Murray. But I'm not going to cristise the club, Poyet or Bloom for not having him signed up. There is obviosuly a reaon why they are doing what they are doing, and if they fail, then fine, have a go, but theres no need for snidey digs at this point, especially when you can't back it up, but you continue to argue your point.

I think Gus is playing a very risky game with Murray, and I'll be the first to say something if he fails. Maybe he's got better than Dicker in mind for next season, so why rush to offer him anything.

Maybe Murray is asking for silly money, and the club are rightly saying no. But someone like sam comes along, has a pop, probably becuase in his world on championship manger everyones signed up on long term contracts, and probably doesn't understand why the real club are not doing the same.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Well, I disagree with samtheseagull's negativity, but wasn't the nicky forster situation last season brought on by the club's refusal to sort out contracts (except el abd's)?
And if we don't restrain ourselves to the poyet/bloom era, I recall Dean Hammond claiming the clubs reluctance to sort out his contract as soon as he triggered a clause in his contract was part of the reason he decided to leave (though increasingly players leaving like to paint the club as the bad guy, and clubs like to paint the leaving player as the bad guy, so who knows)

im not negative, just worried.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here