Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clubs sniffing around Dicker now

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Not sure how Dicker would fair in the Championship. Deserves his chance there though

Why? Great first touch, composed, cultured, strong on the ball.......exactly why would he not fair in the championship well? I think we sometimes forget that we went up last time out with a poor team but for a couple of exceptions - and still had half a go at staying up. Virgo up top? Come on - be realistic - but that's a little harsh - in my numble opinion of course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hull, Coventry or Brighton. What a dilemma.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I basically love Dicker, I did have some doubts about him stepping up a level but then seeing his performance against Watford it's clear he easily could. As probably our best midfielder he should be getting a contract anyway, he said in the Argus in Jan he hasn't heard anything about one. I think this is leaving it a bit late, you shouldn't be letting some of your best players get into the last 6 months of their contract before you talk to them, imo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do we know that nobody has spoken to him from the club or are we just assuming. Is it not possible that somebody could have said to all of the players out of contract just stick with it, when we have an idea of what division we are going to be in we will offer you a contract that is compatable with that division

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill

I bet you he could get more money at both Hull and Coventry so it would be in our interest to sort out contracts ASAP. I don't see how anyone here can talk about clubs like Coventry or Hull as being lesser teams than Brighton based on what we might become.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
With regard to Dicker, I also think that staying at a club where he's well regarded and doing well would suit his best interests. He's not a nailed on 7.5 player, like Crofts for example, who will always win over a set of fans with his conspicuous workrate. Dicker is more cultured, capable of a 9.0 ut also the odd 6.0. When someone like Crofts has a bad game, it just looks like it wasn't his day, and the fans brush it away. When someone more languid like Dicker has a bad day, it can look like they are not trying. He could easily go elsewhere and struggle to settle / win over the fans.

He'll be pretty happy here, I'm sure, and I'm sure Gus and Tony will offer him what they feel is appropriate.
Absolutely spot on.

I'd go as far as saying Kavanagh is one of the best midfielders I've seen at Withdean. Brilliant, and consistent with it.
It's funny. First time I saw Kavanagh at Withdean, he barely got into the game. The second time was the rain soaked 1-0 Albion victory in our second promotion season, and he absolutely ran the game in a manner I don't think I've EVER seen by an opposing player at Withdean. I still can't believe we won that game.

Quite clearly NOT a dliemma if we are promoted. If we don't go up though...

We got a fair idea in the cup games against Pompey and Watford.
Indeed. If we get promoted, Dicker will fit in comfortably.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I bet you he could get more money at both Hull and Coventry so it would be in our interest to sort out contracts ASAP. I don't see how anyone here can talk about clubs like Coventry or Hull as being lesser teams than Brighton based on what we might become.

..or based on what you THINK the wages are at Hull and Coventry?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'm pretty sure Herr T was referring to the merits of the respective TOWNS rather than the CLUBS.

But, to answer your point, IF we go up, I can't see that either club is more desirable than the Albion either. Hull might offer more money, if they're playing fast and loose with their parachute money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Hopefully Dicker will see sense if and when a new deal is offered and stay with us - the way he fits into our side and with the footballing education he's getting under our coaching team, he'd be a bit of a fool not to.

If it became a bidding battle between Albion, Coventry and Hull for Dicker though, I'd be slightly concerned about Hull - given the amount they spent in the transfer market last month, there is potential for them to offer him a deal that we might just not be able to rival.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Face it, this story almost certainly comes from an impatient agent.

Most likely but you would think it's not in the clubs interest to leave it to the last minute now we actually have a few players likely to be attracting attention elsewhere. Maybe the uncertainty of which Division we will be in is an issue but surely this can be part of the contract they offer??

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hmm well Im sure Dicker is in his plans. Be interesting to see what happens when Navarro is back in action tho...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm pretty sure Herr T was referring to the merits of the respective TOWNS rather than the CLUBS.

But, to answer your point, IF we go up, I can't see that either club is more desirable than the Albion either. Hull might offer more money, if they're playing fast and loose with their parachute money.

Am I correct in thinking Hull were struggling financially at the start of this season? I wonder if they are big payers? I'm sure they have some huge legacy contracts though, that bloke with the curly hair and shot knees for one. Or did he move on or get put down?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here