Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's Apology

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Bottom line is that Gus want's his squad sorted ASAP, my guess is he did not want to hang about waiting to see if Calderon want the deal. If had done this he would then be in a position where he could not really look for other right backs cause they would not feel very wanted if Gus was waiting on another player and only looking at them JUST IN CASE. Gus has done the right thing and I suspect Calderon may regret his decision when he realises what a shit hole Southampton is as a city and what a twat Alan Pardew is.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
You guys are cynical bastards sometimes. I thought it was a very articulate post.

I know most of you think otherwise, but it is a job at the end of the day, and it's obviously a big decision for him whether to stay or go. He's a young guy, and we've all made choices to move away to find another job. Whether we come to regret it or not we only find out when we experience it.

Good luck to him.

I take your point but I am sorry being a footballer is not like any job. On a human level he has thrown Gus's faith back in his face and that is shit in any walk of life.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
It says on sky that Calderon`s signed for southampton today and if thats the case, then gus`s technicality of withdrawing our offer is meaningless.

All this talk about Gus withdrawing offer seems to me to be wrong. Gus offfered him a contract, Calderon asked for more time. Gus put a timescale on it and gave him a deadline. Calderon let the deadline pass and effectively therefore left the club.

Whatever the money situation, I think Calde's actions are disappointing. I think it's pretty clear from his statement he knew he was going to choose Southampton.

I'm not big enough right now to wish him well. I hope he lives to regret his decision.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Speaking of Calderon on Facebook, I've learnt a valuable lesson this weekend - never, ever become a fan/liker of a professional footballer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
sorry if fixtures. He put this on his facebook fanpage:

Good morning to everyone,
Today it’s a difficult day for me, but first of all, Thank you so much for all of your incredible support.
you have made me feel so good here from the beginning, so thanks a lot.
I want to explain my version, because I can accept football’s critics, but not personal attacks, and doubt about my honesty. Sorry but not, so please,
I think you deserve an explanation:
- I’ve never said no to Brighton’s offer,
- yes, I accepted Brighton conditions, but I said them that I need time (ONLY one week more) to have a decision. I always have said the truth to the club, always, maybe it was my mistake, but I’ve always said the truth, and I’ll follow doing the same
- I don’t want to be hypocrite, I am not saying that I’d have said yes, Southampton is a very great club too, I’m only saying that I needed time, Only I want to say that, I accept decisions, but I don’t accept nobody doubt about my word and my honesty, no way. Anyway, I want to be thankful to all the club, technical staff, workers,.. and of course fans, thanksI’ll always remember my first club in England, it’s like your first love, never forget it. Sorry for my English, and thank you so much again and yes, I’ll always remember my goal at the Valley, haha. THANKS

Nice post. Good luck to the boy :clap:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Just sounds like a mirror image of what Dan Harding did to us; said he would sign and then went and signed for Leeds, and look where his career has gone. We've all gone mad against him, apart probably from Richie who will say he was acting logically in the interests of his career, though frankly this time I couldn't really be bothered to abuse him, as Hammond was winding me up more. Calderon will probably be abused next season, then if they go up (I'm sorry, I can't see us getting automatic promotion next season), we will forget him. If we play them for a couple of seasons, then no doubt he will still be abused, but it will ease off as nobody cares any more about him. Unfortunately, though, we have face the fact that Southampton are currently a bigger club than us and only ended up in the drink because of that prat Lowe. Also, Pardew has shown that he has absolutely no scruples. Maybe he will be sacked if they don't perform though, eh?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All this talk about Gus withdrawing offer seems to me to be wrong. Gus offfered him a contract, Calderon asked for more time. Gus put a timescale on it and gave him a deadline. Calderon let the deadline pass and effectively therefore left the club.

Whatever the money situation, I think Calde's actions are disappointing. I think it's pretty clear from his statement he knew he was going to choose Southampton.

I'm not big enough right now to wish him well. I hope he lives to regret his decision.

Firstly, your time scale is pure conjecture. He asked for a week. Why is that such a big deal. It is the early part of May. Most footballers contracts are not up until the end of June. The transfer window doesn't close for over three months. So why is one extra week a problem? In all probability he would get a better offer but if he hadn't, we could still have signed him. We now have a situation where too much has been said by Poyet and he will lose face if we sign Calderon.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It says on sky that Calderon`s signed for southampton today and if thats the case, then gus`s technicality of withdrawing our offer is meaningless and I cant believe so many fans banging on about it, its an irrelevance. He was always going to sign for them, whatever we offered wouldnt have matched their offer, they would have just offered him more again.

Therefore, I think Calderons statement is just to try and reduce the abuse he knows he`s gonna get from us next yr. My son asked to have him as a friend on facebook to see if he could talk to him and he replied, the first thing he said was he wasnt looking forward to withdean next season! That says it all.

S'not on their site.

EDIT: I think that story is just a tabloid take upon the seagulls.co.uk story.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Both Calderon and Gus have said that Calderon accepted our offer. He then went back when he understood Southampton were interested and said that he now wanted more time. I think the issue is about whether Gus can trust him.

You don't know how hard this is for me to say, but I agree with dwayne

And don't forget he was a Gillingham reject before Gus picked him up. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he isn't quite the same player under Pardew.

spot on - I fully expect this episode to demonstrate to the remaining doubters that gus and tarrico are the reason for our improvement. All of the players have improved since they arrived and there will be other right backs that are there to be improved and who acknowledge the reason for their improvement.

Calderon was good for us but that was in comparison with wing, who was an entirely different sort of player. Much will be expected of him next season under a much lower quality coaching set up. If would not be at all surprised for him to disappear back into obscurity.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The question is not how good Calderon is, or how much better than Whing Calderon is, but how much better Calderon is than the league's median player available for transfer or loan, at Calderon's position.

One of the statistics that's revolutionized baseball management is VORP, value over replacement player. While cheerfully conceding that soccer/football performance isn't remotely as easily reduced to numbers as baseball, the concept is out there, ready to be grasped by a new generation of football managers, of which new generation I believe we have an example in Sr. Poyet.

Gonna be an interesting couple of years.

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
If Calderon has not yet signed and if Pardew is getting sacked this week it may just be a very big mistake to have not signed for us.....

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think people are unnecessarily separating 2 points of view here.

1. Players are entitled to move around and look for the best money and chance of playing at the highest level once their contract runs out.

2. Despite this, fans are entitled to feel let down by players, get angry and give them abuse when they have decided to turn their back on their club - especially if the fans feel they are owed something.

To use Calderon's own analogy, think of when a relationship ends - everyone has the right to break up with their partner, but when you are on the receiving end you feel quite entitled to get angry and call the person every name under the sun.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think people are unnecessarily separating 2 points of view here.

1. Players are entitled to move around and look for the best money and chance of playing at the highest level once their contract runs out.

2. Despite this, fans are entitled to feel let down by players, get angry and give them abuse when they have decided to turn their back on their club - especially if the fans feel they are owed something.

To use Calderon's own analogy, think of when a relationship ends - everyone has the right to break up with their partner, but when you are on the receiving end you feel quite entitled to get angry and call the person every name under the sun.

I think it's the fact that he'd verbally accepted our offer first which is what has upset Gus and the fans so much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here