Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's Apology

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I never had and never will have a problem with out of contract players talking to other clubs. At the end of the day, we would all do the same.

But it's the fact he verbally agreed to a new contract and then decided he wants to f*** off somewhere else because he's been offered a few more quid (We can safely assume).

Very disappointing from a player who seemed like a decent guy. Oh well.

Come on if you were in his position I bet you would have done the same. Especially if there's 3/4 of a million at stake here.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I never had and never will have a problem with out of contract players talking to other clubs. At the end of the day, we would all do the same.

But it's the fact he verbally agreed to a new contract and then decided he wants to f*** off somewhere else because he's been offered a few more quid (We can safely assume).

Very disappointing from a player who seemed like a decent guy. Oh well.

He hasn't said he's joining Scumhampton yet.

He wanted to hear the offer. If its as reported, 15k, i'd leave a team i didn't support for 200% more, apart from the Albion becuase its my childhood side. the difference between 5k and 15k a week is far bigger than 50 and 60k.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Come on if you were in his position I bet you would have done the same. Especially if there's 3/4 of a million at stake here.

£750,000? And you know that how? Are you his agent?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

He wanted to hear the offer. If its as reported, 15k, i'd leave a team i didn't support for 200% more, apart from the Albion becuase its my childhood side. the difference between 5k and 15k a week is far bigger than 50 and 60k.

No but he DID say he was joining us. That's the problem.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The point is neither of us know so a little difficult to judge.

True, which is why I find it difficult to understand why people are using random weekly wage amounts to back up their argument.

All I know is, he agreed to sign for us and is now considering moving elsewhere. If I were Gus I would have reacted exactly the same. I don't want a player playing for me who went back on his word.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
My take on this: maybe gus knows scum haven't named a price yet but understands that scum could outbid us. He has taken his name out of the hat to spite calderon ensuring he gets offered considerably less than he would have if it was a 2 horse race.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
No but he DID say he was joining us. That's the problem.

He said he would join us but he needed a week to be sure. Thats not saying "sure i'll sign tomorrow lol jk i wanna join saints". Calde was approached, legitimatly and was offered a large amount of money. He asked for an extended deadline, we said no, contract withdrawn. Nothing to see here. Ta calde, thanks for the flair, see you soon. Why get worked up?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ lets move on as its clear there is only 1 team that can compete with us and thats southampton.Fact is southampton love to spend beyond their means and if they wish to pay silly wages then so be it.

He can easily be replaced:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So all of you slagging him off for "possibly" signing a better deal with another club, would all turn down a better contract offer from another company in your own line of work to stay with your present company then?

I'm gutted he's gone, but good luck to the fella.

Exactly

Yes if we are going to have a chance of promotion next year we need a bunch of players who love the club and are loyal to Gus otherwise we don't have a chance.

No chance of promotion irrespective of loyalty to gus or the club unless they have plenty of skill.

I disagree Richie. Gus's policy is " if they are looking elsewhere they are not the right people for my team " and I back him 100%.
:facepalm:

So, those players that we sign and that we demand 100% from are the same players that are clearly not being 100% loyal to their existing club!

Both Calderon and Gus have said that Calderon accepted our offer. He then went back when he understood Southampton were interested and said that he now wanted more time. I think the issue is about whether Gus can trust him.

You don't know how hard this is for me to say, but I agree with dwayne

And don't forget he was a Gillingham reject before Gus picked him up. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he isn't quite the same player under Pardew.

He accepted the conditions but asked for a week to listen to other offers.
that he was expecting. Who said he went away and then came back demanding another week. Typical NSC mythology. He never said, according to his statement, that he would sign. Poyet put a gun to his head and then foolishly withdrew the offer.

If you have four people looking at your house and the first offers the asking price would you accept it or would you say thanks but I am awaiting to hear from the others.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

He wanted to hear the offer. If its as reported, 15k,

report where? here on NSC? :rolleyes: its either looney tune story or Southampton will be in administration again in a couple of years.

it seems to me Gus's (and presumably Blooms) approach is to make a decent off and if you arent interested, withdraw it. they arent going to get in to a bidding war. Gus has worked with far bigger fish and egos, i trust his judgement on how to handle this.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
A bit of perspective here.

I love my club and I want the best players here BUT I know that football is a PROFESSION and each player has to try and get the best contract possible for himself and his family. At the same tyime finding new players is costly and takes time and the best time to snatch players up is as early as possible so Gus wants to know asap how much money he's got to play with and who he needs to find. He does not want to be waiting around for a player who is obviously looking for a better contract.

With all this in mind I think both Gus and Calderon have done nothing wrong. that's the way the cookie crumbles. I wish Calde well in nevery game except against us and I look forward to Gus getting a cheaper and better right fullback.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
It says on sky that Calderon`s signed for southampton today and if thats the case, then gus`s technicality of withdrawing our offer is meaningless and I cant believe so many fans banging on about it, its an irrelevance. He was always going to sign for them, whatever we offered wouldnt have matched their offer, they would have just offered him more again.

Therefore, I think Calderons statement is just to try and reduce the abuse he knows he`s gonna get from us next yr. My son asked to have him as a friend on facebook to see if he could talk to him and he replied, the first thing he said was he wasnt looking forward to withdean next season! That says it all.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think Poyet could probably have handled the Forster situation better, but in this case he's done nothing wrong. The deadline was probably always there, if you're going to talk to other clubs that's fine, Calderon is well within his rights to do that, but he can't string us along in case something doesn't work out.

Shame he's going, but well done Gus on his handling of it. And I hope he nuts Pardew when we play them next year.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It says on sky that Calderon`s signed for southampton today and if thats the case, then gus`s technicality of withdrawing our offer is meaningless and I cant believe so many fans banging on about it, its an irrelevance. He was always going to sign for them, whatever we offered wouldnt have matched their offer, they would have just offered him more again.

Therefore, I think Calderons statement is just to try and reduce the abuse he knows he`s gonna get from us next yr. My son asked to have him as a friend on facebook to see if he could talk to him and he replied, the first thing he said was he wasnt looking forward to withdean next season! That says it all.
The fact that we still have another season at withdean is a downfall in attracting players:glare:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Exactly

:facepalm:

So, those players that we sign and that we demand 100% from are the same players that are clearly not being 100% loyal to their existing club!

that is such a stupid argument I shouldn't bother but what about if Gus signs someone who was released from their old club , they are not being disloyal to their old club if they were released , Calerdon is completely the opposite, THINK before posting.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
You guys are cynical bastards sometimes. I thought it was a very articulate post.

I know most of you think otherwise, but it is a job at the end of the day, and it's obviously a big decision for him whether to stay or go. He's a young guy, and we've all made choices to move away to find another job. Whether we come to regret it or not we only find out when we experience it.

Good luck to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here