Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's Apology

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I can't help thinking Poyet is a little too quick to write people off when they disagree with him / don't dance straight away to his tune.

I'd imagine Calderon's gone to tell GP that Southampton have offered him 15k and can Brighton do something similar otherwise he might have to consider his options and move on, quite clear that, although he hasn't rejected that offer, he is never going to sign unless we up the money. Poyet's told him where to go and moved on pretty quickly, seems fair to me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he had a injury that may be long term? Brave decision to ask the club to wait on the guaranteed contract here as he may fail the Saints medical. Or was the injury exaggerated?

Hot Gossiper

Jun 26, 2008
Would love him to still be at the Albion next year, but you don't f*** with the Gus if you wanna be on the bus!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think that is certainly the today's lesson.

I know you have your reservations about Gus Richie, and you're perfectly entitled to them. Thing is though history has taught us that the great football managers (Shankly, Fergusson, Mourinho, Clough etc) demand absolute respect and loyalty from their players, no matter who they are. It's a method that works and one that is needed now more than ever with the amounts of money involved, the greed of the agents and all the other distractions available to the modern pro.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It seems like Calderon wanted to wait to see Southampton's offer and had not said he would not sign for us.

I am pretty sure most people would want to address all their options before signing. No problem with that.

But for Gus to just withdraw the offer seems a bit petulant to me.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I disagree Richie. Gus's policy is " if they are looking elsewhere they are not the right people for my team " and I back him 100%.

pintsawhiskey

Apr 17, 2010
bn1
sorry if fixtures. He put this on his facebook fanpage:

Good morning to everyone,
Today it’s a difficult day for me, but first of all, Thank you so much for all of your incredible support.
you have made me feel so good here from the beginning, so thanks a lot.
I want to explain my version, because I can accept football’s critics, but not personal attacks, and doubt about my honesty. Sorry but not, so please,
I think you deserve an explanation:
- I’ve never said no to Brighton’s offer,
- yes, I accepted Brighton conditions, but I said them that I need time (ONLY one week more) to have a decision. I always have said the truth to the club, always, maybe it was my mistake, but I’ve always said the truth, and I’ll follow doing the same
- I don’t want to be hypocrite, I am not saying that I’d have said yes, Southampton is a very great club too, I’m only saying that I needed time, Only I want to say that, I accept decisions, but I don’t accept nobody doubt about my word and my honesty, no way. Anyway, I want to be thankful to all the club, technical staff, workers,.. and of course fans, thanksI’ll always remember my first club in England, it’s like your first love, never forget it. Sorry for my English, and thank you so much again and yes, I’ll always remember my goal at the Valley, haha. THANKS

ha ha?? :salute:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The thing is, players at this level are not as financially secure as the top flight. In those instances, yes, I don't see a problem with the manager taking a stance like this.

But for someone like Calderon - who a few months ago was potentially facing the end of his career - they have to be a bit smarter about what contracts they sign.

It is easy to say someone in the premiership on £60k a week should get short shrift for fluttering his eyelids at someone offering £70k a week.

But it is a different case in League One where the difference in potential wages could be two or three times what is on offer elsewhere.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Good morning to everyone,
Today it’s a difficult day for me, but first of all, Thank you so much for all of your incredible support.
you have made me feel so good here from the beginning, so thanks a lot.
I want to explain my version, because I can accept football’s critics, but not personal attacks, and doubt about my honesty. Sorry but not, so please,
I think you deserve an explanation:
- I’ve never said no to Brighton’s offer,
- yes, I accepted Brighton conditions, but I said them that I need time (ONLY one week more) to have a decision. I always have said the truth to the club, always, maybe it was my mistake, but I’ve always said the truth, and I’ll follow doing the same
- I don’t want to be hypocrite, I am not saying that I’d have said yes, Southampton is a very great club too, I’m only saying that I needed time, Only I want to say that, I accept decisions, but I don’t accept nobody doubt about my word and my honesty, no way. Anyway, I want to be thankful to all the club, technical staff, workers,.. and of course fans, thanksI’ll always remember my first club in England, it’s like your first love, never forget it. Sorry for my English, and thank you so much again and yes, I’ll always remember my goal at the Valley, haha. THANKS

firstly, nobody said inigo had said no to our offer, on the contrary he had verbally agreed it but it was removed when he asked for more time to see what the scummers were offering.

secondly, he is obviously not that "thankful" to the club in any way shape or form to the club who ultimately resurrected his career.

finally, as for those on here saying we could still sign him, get real will you - do you really want any players here who are not 100% committed to this great club of ours??? :rant:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The rudeness lies in stating he would sign a contract, and THEN asking for more time. He's a tease. Once you say you'll do something, you do it, or apologise profusely for not. You don't say a dog ate my contract.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
That'll put the cat amongst the pigeons and stir up some abuse towards Gus' handling of the matter

will it bollocks, a parting snipe from a player who has taken the piss out of us will not have any effect on gus - other than to show certain other players that gus will take no shit and he is a man of his word and if you cross the line it is for good.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
finally, as for those on here saying we could still sign him, get real will you - do you really want any players here who are not 100% committed to this great club of ours??? :rant:

Wave a fat pay rise and a cotnract at a club who will be definitely challenging next season and see which of our current squad WOULDN'T at least listen to what they had to say.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I disagree Richie. Gus's policy is " if they are looking elsewhere they are not the right people for my team " and I back him 100%.

But US we are Brighton not Arsenal.Players have agents and they are out to get their men the best deals.
I`m talking generally here though because I don`t know what Gus and Inigo had said to each other. Maybe Gus does feel that the lad went back on his word somewhat.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It seems like Calderon wanted to wait to see Southampton's offer and had not said he would not sign for us.

I am pretty sure most people would want to address all their options before signing. No problem with that.

But for Gus to just withdraw the offer seems a bit petulant to me.

I could not agree more Richie.

I'm starting to go a little lukewarm towards Gus because of this policy of his.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I just cannot wait for brighton fans to start claiming Calderon "wasn't all that anyway" and within six months he will be "someone who is shit and wouldn't get in our current team".

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Football 'loyalty' works both ways - if a club suddenly doesn't like a player, it doesn't matter how long a contract they have they will soon be ignored or shipped out at a moments notice. I'm really gutted that Calderon might be leaving as he seemed to epitomise the type of football Gus was trying to implement but we shouldn't get too drawn into the whole issue of him repaying us for faith shown etc. - it just doesn't work like that.

Look at it as any other business - the club made an offer, to which they attached a deadline. That deadline passed, without a decision being made for whatever reason, so it has been withdrawn. Poyet has shown his principles for all to see with the Forster issue and now this and they are all based on fairness and what is right for the club as a whole.

thats just it, the offer was made with a deadline (and verbally agreed by both parties) and inigo asked for longer to see what the scummers would offer, and as it is for a team in the same league our offer was withdrawn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here