Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's Apology

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So all of you slagging him off for "possibly" signing a better deal with another club, would all turn down a better contract offer from another company in your own line of work to stay with your present company then?

I'm gutted he's gone, but good luck to the fella.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Clearly Calderon is NOT a Man of Honour. Very sad really. We had hoped our Spanish counterpart wouldn't have the English money grabbing no loyalty disease but it seems he is EXACTLY the same as everyone else.

Poyet gave him his big break in the UK and how does he repay it ?, to go at the first opportunity to a " bigger " club who pays a bit more.

Poyet will stand firm and refuse to take his calls I would hope.

We DO NOT need Calderon , we need a team who stick together for the collective cause and goal of going up next season, backing their manager.

Calderon is not that Man.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
He said one week. We only started talking contracts in the last couple of weeks, so Southamptons interested must have been quite recent

One week, although if southampton falls through would he then have signed for us or needed another week or two to listen to other offers?
i'm with the manager on this one.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Clearly Calderon is NOT a Man of Honour. Very sad really. We had hoped our Spanish counterpart wouldn't have the English money grabbing no loyalty disease but it seems he is EXACTLY the same as everyone else.

Poyet gave him his big break in the UK and how does he repay it ?, to go at the first opportunity to a " bigger " club who pays a bit more.

We DO NOT need Calderon , we need a team who stick together for the collective cause and goal of going up next season, backing their manager.

Spot on US.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
One week, although if southampton falls through would he then have signed for us or needed another week or two to listen to other offers?
i'm with the manager on this one.

I really admire Gus and his principles. It meant we our top scorer and our most exciting player in a while, but he's a man of his word. I just hope Gus doesn't jump ship to a bigger club anytime soon, I love what he is doing it and how he is doing it!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
When GUS says he wont be here next season i think we have learnt by now that that means he wont be here next season, good riddance.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I doubt whether Gus will be with us come the start of the season. My money's on him replacing Pardew at Southampton. Just a hunch; and I hope I'm wrong.

:)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I remember with my first love that i didn't wait to make a commitment to her by seeing what else was out there, in case a richer chick turned up with smarter wheels and a robotic chef and a sleepless desire to burn at least something down. I loved "her" and my eye did not immediately wander.
Inigo might always now have a soft spot for us, but i don't really want that as he hasn't been with us for long enough to really establish any concrete emotion. I can't imagine another chance as Gus rightly says that he promises no return. I don't hate Inigo now, but i have virtually no respect for him. I doubt that really matters to him though, some stranger on the internet doubting his character and honour. I hope he plays worse than we made him and grows to hate Southampton's long-ball-Larry "tactics".

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
clearly calderon is not a man of honour. Very sad really. We had hoped our spanish counterpart wouldn't have the english money grabbing no loyalty disease but it seems he is exactly the same as everyone else.

Poyet gave him his big break in the uk and how does he repay it ?, to go at the first opportunity to a " bigger " club who pays a bit more.

Poyet will stand firm and refuse to take his calls i would hope.

We do not need calderon , we need a team who stick together for the collective cause and goal of going up next season, backing their manager.

Calderon is not that man.

10/10

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1

Yes if we are going to have a chance of promotion next year we need a bunch of players who love the club and are loyal to Gus otherwise we don't have a chance.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think the issue here is not that another club offered more money, in that case while I'd be disappointed, I'd respect his decision to provide the best he can for himself and his family. What makes this different is that he AGREED a contract with us, and then reneged on that agreement. It's very, very poor of him and as US says someone with some honour would have respected that agreement and the club that resurrected his career.

However I think to believe that things like honour and respect (Gus aside) are still alive in football is sadly a bit naive.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yes if we are going to have a chance of promotion next year we need a bunch of players who love the club and are loyal to Gus otherwise we don't have a chance.

Agree. But we also need Gus to be loyal to us. Time will tell whether this is the case.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I really admire Gus and his principles. It meant we our top scorer and our most exciting player in a while, but he's a man of his word. I just hope Gus doesn't jump ship to a bigger club anytime soon, I love what he is doing it and how he is doing it!
:thumbsup:

I remember with my first love that i didn't wait to make a commitment to her by seeing what else was out there, in case a richer chick turned up with smarter wheels and a robotic chef and a sleepless desire to burn at least something down. I loved "her" and my eye did not immediately wander.
Inigo might always now have a soft spot for us, but i don't really want that as he hasn't been with us for long enough to really establish any concrete emotion. I can't imagine another chance as Gus rightly says that he promises no return. I don't hate Inigo now, but i have virtually no respect for him. I doubt that really matters to him though, some stranger on the internet doubting his character and honour. I hope he plays worse than we made him and grows to hate Southampton's long-ball-Larry "tactics".

Meado puts it all in perspective again. 'The Peacemaker'

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Football 'loyalty' works both ways - if a club suddenly doesn't like a player, it doesn't matter how long a contract they have they will soon be ignored or shipped out at a moments notice. I'm really gutted that Calderon might be leaving as he seemed to epitomise the type of football Gus was trying to implement but we shouldn't get too drawn into the whole issue of him repaying us for faith shown etc. - it just doesn't work like that.

Look at it as any other business - the club made an offer, to which they attached a deadline. That deadline passed, without a decision being made for whatever reason, so it has been withdrawn. Poyet has shown his principles for all to see with the Forster issue and now this and they are all based on fairness and what is right for the club as a whole.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Reminds me of the Bertin issue a couple of years ago - and it's going the same way. Gus is quite right to be firm on this or all the wrong signals would be sent out and we wouldn't sign anyone until they had taken weeks in negotiations and 'exploring other possibilities'.

By the way, where is Bertin now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here