Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's Apology

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Given how keen Gus was to sign him there is no way he would have withdrawn the contract offer unless he was 100% sure Calderon was signing for Southampton. He can say all he wants about not rejecting the contract (and that may be true) but I'd imagine he's gone back to brighton with southamptons huge offer and asked for a raise, that was probably the point Gus (unsuprisingly) lost it!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I doubt whether Gus will be with us come the start of the season. My money's on him replacing Pardew at Southampton. Just a hunch; and I hope I'm wrong.

:)

I'd love to take you up on that; absolutely convinced gus will start the season and will only go if things go tits up (which I doubt).

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Reminds me of the Bertin issue a couple of years ago - and it's going the same way. Gus is quite right to be firm on this or all the wrong signals would be sent out and we wouldn't sign anyone until they had taken weeks in negotiations and 'exploring other possibilities'.

By the way, where is Bertin now?

He is playing in the Championnat de France National for Association sportive de Cannes Football - French Div 3...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thionk that Gus had to make the stand to show that he meant business and what he wants. He has said previously that he only wants players who are committed to the cause and not coming in asking to be sent out on loan etc. If he were to back track and accept Calderon back that would make that statement look a little silly and also what would other players agents etc think especially as I am lead to believe that Marcos Painter hasnt actually signed a contract yet as he cant until July1st but has agreed it and I would not want to jeopardise such a signing, not that I think that he will go back on his word but we all know how agents work.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
By the way, where is Bertin now?

Bertin later stated that his decision to leave Brighton was a mistake. The problem when you leave a good employer just for the money elsewhere things often have a habit of biting you in the arse. The world weary cynics or self-confessed 'realists' would have you believe it 's the way of the world and everyone would do the same - not so. I took a large pay cut to stay with my current employer because they are on a sound footing and actually growing during this recession. I've also built up 5 years or relationships and got a position that I largely created which gives me an amount of control over my work I wouldn't have if I went somewhere else.

Calderon was playing for a club on the rise, for a manager who understood him and played to his strengths, for fans who had taken him to their heart. The likelyhood if he had signed for us is that he'd have had a stable career here for, managerial changes aside, as long as he wanted. It could work out for him at Southampton but it could equally go tits-up. This is the problem with the negative effect that agents have had on the game - they've got most of their clients actually believing it's all about the money when in fact it's not.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Clearly Calderon is NOT a Man of Honour. Very sad really. We had hoped our Spanish counterpart wouldn't have the English money grabbing no loyalty disease but it seems he is EXACTLY the same as everyone else.

Poyet gave him his big break in the UK and how does he repay it ?, to go at the first opportunity to a " bigger " club who pays a bit more.

Poyet will stand firm and refuse to take his calls I would hope.

We DO NOT need Calderon , we need a team who stick together for the collective cause and goal of going up next season, backing their manager.

Calderon is not that Man.

agree with that.
(I'd probably do the same though)

I thionk that Gus had to make the stand to show that he meant business and what he wants. He has said previously that he only wants players who are committed to the cause and not coming in asking to be sent out on loan etc. If he were to back track and accept Calderon back that would make that statement look a little silly and also what would other players agents etc think especially as I am lead to believe that Marcos Painter hasnt actually signed a contract yet as he cant until July1st but has agreed it and I would not want to jeopardise such a signing, not that I think that he will go back on his word but we all know how agents work.

I believe that Painter has signed a pre-contract agreement. Of course this could be broken, but there must be penalties in there if it is.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The world weary cynics or self-confessed 'realists' would have you believe it 's the way of the world and everyone would do the same - not so. I took a large pay cut to stay with my current employer because they are on a sound footing and actually growing during this recession. I've also built up 5 years or relationships and got a position that I largely created which gives me an amount of control over my work I wouldn't have if I went somewhere else.

There have been people who have left where I work, looking for better money, finding that they don't enjoy working where they go, the people they work with, the rigid hours, etc. So much more than money plays into a good work placement

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that Painter has signed a pre-contract agreement. Of course this could be broken, but there must be penalties in there if it is.

Probably so, it is just a legality that he cant sign the actual contract until July as he is possibly still under contract to Swansea until then. What we dont want his or any other agent thinking that Gus is inexperienced and weak and trying to take advantage.

I do not think that Marcos would allow it to happen either.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
What channel was he on as they tend to repeat themselves quite a lot was it SSN.

Yes, SSN. Didn't catch all of it but he was FURIOUS with the Hartlepool decision (ie not giving us the 3 points), and then lost me when they started asking about Leeds and Chelsea.

I love Gus when he's angry :love:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hello I'ma Inigo
I got something special for you Ready
Uno Do Tre Quatro

When I was a boy just abouta 8th grade
Mama used to say don't stay outta late
With the badda boys always shoota pool
Inigo he gonna flunka school

Boy ya makea me sick but the thing I gotta do
I can'ta getta no kicks always gotta follow rules
Boy ya makea me sick just to make a lousy bucks
Gotta feela like a fool

And mama used to say all da time
What's a matta you, Hey ya gotta no respect
Whatta you think you do Why you looka so sad
It'sa not so bad, it's a nicea place
Ah Shuddupa ya face
That'sa my mama cana remember that
Big accordian solo

Soon a come a day going to be a biga star
Then make a tv show anda movies
Getta myself a new car
But still I be myself
I don't wanna to change a thing
Still a dance anda sing
I thinka about da mama she used say

Ah Shuddupa ya face
Mama she said dat alla da time

Ah Shuddupa ya face
That's my mama

{spoken}
Hello everybody at's out there in radio and tv land
Did you know I had a big hit song in Spain witha dis
Shaddupa Ya Face
I sing dis song alla my fans applaud they clappa dey hands
But they makea me feela so good
You oughta learna dis song it'sa real simple
See I sing "What'sa matta you"
You sing "Hey!"
Then I singa the rest then at the end we can alla sing
"Ah Shuddupa Ya Face"

Okay let's try it really

Un, do, tre quatro

Ah Shuddupa ya face

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Calderon was playing for a club on the rise, for a manager who understood him and played to his strengths, for fans who had taken him to their heart. The likelyhood if he had signed for us is that he'd have had a stable career here for, managerial changes aside, as long as he wanted. It could work out for him at Southampton but it could equally go tits-up. This is the problem with the negative effect that agents have had on the game - they've got most of their clients actually believing it's all about the money when in fact it's not.

Word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here