Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's Apology

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Nice post. Good luck to the boy :clap:

Have you read the rest of this thread?

That was my knee-jerk reaction reading it, but this thread puts forward good opinions, even objective I'd say.

Maybe his leg injury will keep him out til after Xmas and Saints will get rid of him...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Generally when players leave a club for more money they'll say even if only in words it was a tough decision to make.

His only decision was to be aware of his contract deadline and ignore it.

So for mine Gus made the right decision.

A few people are saying good luck to him , its only a business.

Well in business if you don't meet deadlines you stand out as being unprofessional,incompetent and not to be relied upon.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At least he took the time to bother posting that, a lot of people in that position wouldn't have.

Still gutted he won't be here, but I think Gus made the right call and life goes on.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
So he hasn't signed or agreed anything with Southampton yet

in theory he could still sign for us but would Gus/the fans welcome him back?

I would and I'll applaud him when we see him again next year. He is flair and whatever happened between him and Gus in the contract talks, it doesn't take away what he [and others] have brought to us over the past few months.

Gus saw his potential and got the best out of him; I'm sure he can do it again with another player in the very near future.

Just pissed off I downloaded the picture of him in the new kit for me iPhone wallpaper the day before!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
FFS all this fuss over a right back!

Yes he played well for us but he will not be the difference between us reacing the top 6 next season or missing out.

I am realy excited to see who we will bring in during the summer months to take us forward next season rather than worrying about another mercenary.

Poyet want players that want to play for him not fickle players.

Thanks Inigo and all the best.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Yes he played well for us but he will not be the difference between us reacing the top 6 next season or missing out.

I am realy excited to see who we will bring in during the summer months to take us forward next season rather than worrying about another mercenary.

Angel Eyes sure comes up with the goods in that post pop pickers! Top summation.

:thumbsup:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I remember with my first love that i didn't wait to make a commitment to her by seeing what else was out there, in case a richer chick turned up with smarter wheels and a robotic chef and a sleepless desire to burn at least something down. I loved "her" and my eye did not immediately wander.
Inigo might always now have a soft spot for us, but i don't really want that as he hasn't been with us for long enough to really establish any concrete emotion. I can't imagine another chance as Gus rightly says that he promises no return. I don't hate Inigo now, but i have virtually no respect for him. I doubt that really matters to him though, some stranger on the internet doubting his character and honour. I hope he plays worse than we made him and grows to hate Southampton's long-ball-Larry "tactics".

This sums it up beautifully for me.

And Inigo, I have an apology for you if you happen to read this forum's threads:

Inigo, I too am sorry. Sorry that a man who my club gave a chance to in English football when his career appeared to be stalling, chose not to take them and their wonderful, bright young manager, Gus Poyet, up on their decent contract offer, choosing instead to forego the beautiful football we seek to create for the rougher, less attractive 'style' of a club from a bland and uncosmopolitan city along the coast.

I'm sorry that you proved not to be the man of honour, gratitude, appreciation, integrity and of purist football philosophy that I naively dared to hope that you were.

I am sorry also that you have chosen not to be part of a far greater footballing revolution that treads it's early steps in this great city of ours by the sea.

I'm sorry that you won't experience the magnitude of our glorious supporters as their number rises back to it's full size.

And most of all I am sorry you will miss the opportunity to be part of something special....a certain time and place, a moment where to belong, to truly belong, would be a memory to cherish.

And one final thing I'll be sorry about is the abuse you will inevitably receive when you play in Southampton's colours against us, for we football fans are no fools.

Many will understand your desire to earn what you can from the game but few will have deep sympathy for that notion...to shun us for that lot along the road will be hard for everyone at this TRULY great club to take.

We have been through so much more than you could possibly comprehend here at The Albion and we will get over this stab to the heart soon enough, but I'm sorry....sorry to say you have let us down very badly.

If you needed time to decide, you don't have a place with us.

Adios.

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Exactly.

On the pitch we have improved beyond all measures and Gus should be congratulated for this.

But the way he has burned his bridges with the likes of Forster and now Calderon is a worry. We are not in a position to act like this and League One players are not in a financial position where they can afford to not listen to other options - particularly ones which are likely to pay far more.

I read The Argus story more as Poyet withdrawing the offer because he knew we could not compete with Southampton.

Christ you don't half go on. So on the pitch we've improved beyond all measures? Off the pitch WE'VE BURNT OUR BRIDGES with 2 players. 2 league one players.

It's a worry. A terrible terrible worry. Where will we find 2 more league one players with big nasty Gus the Gorilla in charge?

paulclark

Sep 7, 2008
as were beginning to find out once gus makes a decision thats the end of it

i hope this pushing players in corners doesnt come back to bite us in the ass

were going to have a few ex players wanting to prove something next season
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

i
UOTE=CAPTAIN GREALISH;3493553]if what he is saying is correct gus get on the phone now all will be forgiven[/QUOTE]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly

:facepalm:

So, those players that we sign and that we demand 100% from are the same players that are clearly not being 100% loyal to their existing club!

that is such a stupid argument I shouldn't bother but what about if Gus signs someone who was released from their old club , they are not being disloyal to their old club if they were released , Calerdon is completely the opposite, THINK before posting.

I think your logic is comical. Based on what you say, we are only ever going to sign players released by their club so that we ensure they are 100% behind us. We are never going to try and sign players in the middle of their contract. What hope have we got then of getting the best players. There is going to be a point when, to make the next step to the next level we are going to have to sign players with a transfer fee.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As for this deadline, the club made all the players wait until a couple of weeks before the end of the season before they started negotiating. When a player apparently asks for just one week to consider all options, we throw our toys out of the pram. Whether people consider them league one players or better, the fact is we have lost two very good league one players in Forster and Calderon and, as yet, have not yet replaced either. Time will tell.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Can't be bothered to read all the crap on this thread but this post sums it up for me.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I hope he does his cruciate on his Scumton debut & disappears into the oblivion of the Spanish fourth division

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus has to show everyone that he is the manager , his decision is final. Players come , players go , such is life.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey....so a player doesnt want to play for Brighton and Hove Albion....FFS. Such is life. Move on

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
To use Calderon's own analogy, think of when a relationship ends - everyone has the right to break up with their partner, but when you are on the receiving end you feel quite entitled to get angry and call the person every name under the sun.

Using the same analogy, Calderon had accepted Gus' marriage proposal but on their wedding day he decided he would rather marry Alan Pardew.

Now if Calderon had told Gus he was not interested in marriage in the first place, then the whole situation would have been a lot less heated and he could marry Alan Pardew knowing he has not f***ed Gus around. Yes there would be disappointment, but there wouldn't be as much anger towards him.

By all means shop around, but don't agree to a contract FIRST.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Much will be expected of him next season under a much lower quality coaching set up. .

I take it that is a dig at Wilkins, a manager who bled Brighton and who was not shown loyalty and who, on a shoestring budget got us to seventh with a large proportion of youth players who came through the ranks.

I think it's the fact that he'd verbally accepted our offer first which is what has upset Gus and the fans so much

It's a fact he agreed the terms but there is no evidence or suggestion he agreed to sign there and then. He wanted just one week. I'll use the analogy of selling your house again. You put it on the market at a price and four people have a look and all show an interest. The first comes back and offers the asking price. Do you accept or do you wait a few days to see if the others are going to better it. You've set the price so they are your terms and the first person has offered that price. However you are under no obligation to accept it there and then.

It could be said that both parties gambled but if Calderon is paid this £15k figure by Soton then he has clearly come out a winner. If he signs a three year deal and gets crocked in the first week, that is still £2,250,000 as opposed to £750,000. At 27 years of age that is what is called in business, 'a no brainer'.

Gus has to show everyone that he is the manager , his decision is final. Players come , players go , such is life.

You forget this is Brighton, managers also come and managers also go.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Does this maybe mean that we haven't got a shedload of money to spend on wages/transfers and that we will be working with free tranfers/released players

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
See , what i don't f***ing understand is how Poyet let Holroyd have time to think whether he wanted to join because he spoke to Norwich but he doesn't let Calderon have a week to decide what he wants to do . One week wouldn't of hurt , Poyet should of just gave him the week and if Calderon signed for us then we know it wasn't for the money but if he signed for Southampton its because of the money .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here