Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie Press

D

Deleted member 18477

The point is why blame someone else for his disappointment?

Why not blame himself, his team or management?

Because he's a winner at heart. Felt like he had let Britain down and himself down no doubt. This was one of his dreams.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Never known a country wind itself up so much as Oz about sport. They have got this attitude about them which makes people dislike them. We have passion and rivalry about our sports teams which I think is pretty healthy, winning and losing its all part of the game. On the other hand Aussies take it to another level especially when it comes to us poms. If we lose against them in goes the sword, not content with that when its in they twist it for good measure, the hate and distain in their press towards us is disgraceful.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
As a nation we are very diverse in our multiculturalism. Britain has a lot of Indian/Pakistani/Carribean immigrants. They naturally share an interest in cricket. So they follow the national team.

We have a lot of Europeans from the Balkans(Croats, Serbs etc), lots of Italians and Greeks, Chinese, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Turks etc. All of which come from non-cricket backgrounds.
This has meant as our demographics have changed through immigration so has the popularity of cricket as a spectator sport.

Within the workplace the interest in the sport as a topic of conversation has dropped off significantly over the last 10 years. Soccer has on the other hand increased in it's popularity greatly.

Struggle as you may, it's not just about sport when it comes to peoples thoughts on a nation.

A lot of Aussies don't like the US and its culture. That influences why they love beating them.

There's nothing like that bad feeling towards the UK amongst the general populous of Australia these days.

Are you suggesting the UK has none of those immigrants?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Never known a country wind itself up so much as Oz about sport. They have got this attitude about them which makes people dislike them. We have passion and rivalry about our sports teams which I think is pretty healthy, winning and losing its all part of the game.

Strange call.

Is it really healthy when you have to separate fans from each other and have such heavy police presence before and after games?

A lot of your rivalries have a bloody and incredibly violent history. Bit rich to say we get worked up with that in mind.

Who dislikes us exactly?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Do you not watch much cycling?

Stuart O'Grady was in the breakaway.

Why the hell would Australia help chase him down? That's the most moronic part of Cavs outburst.

He should have known full well why Australia wouldn't help chase the break away down.

O'Grady had no chance of winning though, he's no sprinter.

But INO the Germans were more to blame than the Aussies - they had a greatSprinter, but contributed NOTHING to help te Peloton catchthe breakaway.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Never known a country wind itself up so much as Oz about sport. They have got this attitude about them which makes people dislike them. We have passion and rivalry about our sports teams which I think is pretty healthy, winning and losing its all part of the game. On the other hand Aussies take it to another level especially when it comes to us poms. If we lose against them in goes the sword, not content with that when its in they twist it for good measure, the hate and distain in their press towards us is disgraceful.
Its a bit of an inferiority complex, we've always viewed them as the dopey country cousins and they know it, hence the excessive derfensiveness in their press.

Strange call.

Is it really healthy when you have to separate fans from each other and have such heavy police presence before and after games?

A lot of your rivalries have a bloody and incredibly violent history. Bit rich to say we get worked up with that in mind.

Who dislikes us exactly?

:bigwave:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
blimey TB,what's the time down there?

if were being honest here,i think the aussies love beating the poms more,than the other way round

abit like the sweaty socks,but when the aussies do get beat by us poms,they try to make out they don't give a monkey's

we all know different,it f***ing hurts,right!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
O'Grady had no chance of winning though, he's no sprinter.

But INO the Germans were more to blame than the Aussies - they had a greatSprinter, but contributed NOTHING to help te Peloton catchthe breakaway.

To be fair to the Germans, their team was much weaker than many. Martin did contribute to the chase early but was nowhere near his best (which bodes well for the TT!) then there was Grabsch who did a bit. Sieberg and Degenkolb were never going to be much use in the chase.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Are you suggesting the UK has none of those immigrants?

Not at all.

I'm saying the bulk of our mass influx of immigrants don't come from nations where cricket is popular.

Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside of Athens.

Yet despite such a large influx from Greece their representation in high level cricket is almost nil.

Conversely England had a lot of Indians settle there and their interest in cricket meant they became involved in cricket in their new home.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To me, Cav's interview came across as the typical 'heat of the moment' rant. I'm sure, given some time to mull it over, that he would choose different words if he were to give the interview now.

I'm certainly not going to think less of someone for being a bit worked up after not winning an event on home soil, especially given weight of expectation. I would have been more annoyed if he hadn't been that bothered, to be honest.

Spot on. The questions are unfuckingbearably inane as well, just like at Wimbledon.

"Hey Andy, its THREE seconds since you've come off court, how was THAT for your parents, dya reckon?"

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
blimey TB,what's the time down there?

if were being honest here,i think the aussies love beating the poms more,than the other way round

abit like the sweaty socks,but when the aussies do get beat by us poms,they try to make out they don't give a monkey's

we all know different,it f***ing hurts,right!

Couldn't give a toss.

I'm into cycling big time. Most people I know would rather Cav and Wiggo win than Contador or Schleck.

Anytime i've seen England at the WC in football people support England openly if Australia's not playing.

It's only 11 30.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Spot on. The questions are unfuckingbearably inane as well, just like at Wimbledon.

"Hey Andy, its THREE seconds since you've come off court, how was THAT for your parents, dya reckon?"

I'm going to scream if I hear another person get asked, "How does it feel to have won?". What the hell do you expect them to say? The press expect professional sportsmen/women to instantly come up with brilliantly quotable and emotive soundbites just minutes after completing their event!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

what about......" at exactly what point did you decide to bowl under-arm ian"?.:moo:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
This thread reminds me of a joke my dad told me:

Q. What's the difference between Australia and a yoghurt?
A. If you leave a yoghurt unattended for long enough it will acquire a culture.

:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here