Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie Press

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Oh well, I stand corrected, you've obviously spoken to the reporter concerned and he's clued you in as to exactly why he wrote that.

That's all we need, a bloody Aussie apologist; if it wasn't bad enough with half the threads on NSC infested with Palarse trolls!

It is pushbike riding for Christ sake! Not a real sport! Get over it.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I've not seen the Cavendish interview, but have seen split opinions on it. Some people say he's been overly rude, others agree with him that the reporter was asking stupid questions and deserved to be put into place. Really need to find said interview and see it myself

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My comments weren't ridiculous. They were backed up with flat out statistical truth. You can't comment on the game of cricket out here because you don't live out here or see local cricket clubs struggling for numbers.

Participation rates of cricket have been dropping for a few years now over here. Nothing like as popular as it once was. Other sports have over taken it.

When it comes to the Olympics most people would want to beat the Yanks first and foremost.

It's been like that for a while now.

Is there even a sport at the Olympics that the our two nations have a fierce rivalry with?

All of them from my perception.

As a Pom I can accurately state that my Aussie mates love to put on over on us and love to rub my nose in it when they do.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Of course I can, and I am. Participation rates here ebb and flow too, but it doesn't mean we don't want the Ashes back as a nation.

As a nation we are very diverse in our multiculturalism. Britain has a lot of Indian/Pakistani/Carribean immigrants. They naturally share an interest in cricket. So they follow the national team.

We have a lot of Europeans from the Balkans(Croats, Serbs etc), lots of Italians and Greeks, Chinese, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Turks etc. All of which come from non-cricket backgrounds.
This has meant as our demographics have changed through immigration so has the popularity of cricket as a spectator sport.

Within the workplace the interest in the sport as a topic of conversation has dropped off significantly over the last 10 years. Soccer has on the other hand increased in it's popularity greatly.

Everyone wants to beat them FFS, and that is because they win the most medals. I'm fairly sure the Americans are more concerned with staying ahead of China and Russia overall, than beating little old Australia. You have ONE sporting rivalry with them as far as I can see - swimming. But the Aussies are fairly strong in the velodrome and in the rowing, which also happen to be our strengths. I'm struggling to believe most Aussies are more concerned with beating America overall than beating GB - especially as we finished above you in Beijing in the medals table, for the first time in 4 Olympics...

Struggle as you may, it's not just about sport when it comes to peoples thoughts on a nation.

A lot of Aussies don't like the US and its culture. That influences why they love beating them.

There's nothing like that bad feeling towards the UK amongst the general populous of Australia these days.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Oh well, I stand corrected, you've obviously spoken to the reporter concerned and he's clued you in as to exactly why he wrote that.

That's all we need, a bloody Aussie apologist; if it wasn't bad enough with half the threads on NSC infested with Palarse trolls!

Actually I pasted what Cav said. Nobody made Cav say what he did but himself.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It is pushbike riding for Christ sake! Not a real sport! Get over it.

You've misconstrued my post, I'm not whinging about the cycling, rather the response from the Aussie troll.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We have a lot of Europeans from the Balkans(Croats, Serbs etc), lots of Italians and Greeks, Chinese, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Turks etc. All of which come from non-cricket backgrounds.
This has meant as our demographics have changed through immigration so has the popularity of cricket as a spectator sport.
It does make me chuckle how some Australians labour under this misapprehension that you are incredibly multicultural when the fact is that London on its own is far more of a melting pot than Australia has ever been. You have lots of Europeans and East Asians, but not a lot of other ethnicities.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It does make me chuckle how some Australians labour under this misapprehension that you are incredibly multicultural when the fact is that London on its own is far more of a melting pot than Australia has ever been. You have lots of Europeans and East Asians, but not a lot of other ethnicities.

Our multiculturalism is more multicultural than your multiculturalism! :D

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It does make me chuckle how Australians labour under this misapprehension that you are incredibly multicultural when the fact is that London on its own is far more of a melting pot than Australia has ever been. You have lots of Europeans and East Asians, but not a lot of other ethnicities.

You really should stop commenting on Australia, you appear to know nothing about it going by your comments.

We have large Middle eastern communities. We've rapidly growing African communities. Large communities of Islanders from the Pacific. Communities from most South American nations in all major cities.

Not a lot of other Ethnicities? That's the bit to make someone chuckle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here