Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie Press

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The point perhaps you missed or chose to overlook was that the largest of your immigrant communities came from nations who have a history with cricket.

The largest of ours do not have a cricket history.

Blind Freddie can work out that will effect the popularity of the sport among the overall population.

And how do you acquire a cricket history? Integrate of course; ah, I see your problem.....

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Well maybe it is because i am a pom but most of the talk in the office is about the main medal prospects, the 4x100 and which event they can smash the poms in. Radio on my drive home was slating cavendish and ripping it out of the brits ( All posh with bad teeth and whinge). It is the banter they love,but equally they like and respect the UK.

Cricket is the same here as in the UK, small crowds for domestic except t20, still loads of interest in internationals. Soccerball growing,but nothing eclipses AFL.

Basically they love a bit of banter, but its 'ALL GOOD'. Not heard of the yanks as a major reason to win. Just losts of so long as we beat the poms. May be different in Geelong though ....

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
He wasn't a complete cock. The thing is and what's so frustrating is that it did none of the 'good teams' any favours by being lazy fuckers! They surely would have preferred a silver or bronze to nothing and they could have got one if they had worked with the Brits. So it really does seem like they were happy not to get anything as long as team GB didn't either. I've got nothing against the heroic ride of the winner, but I just cannot understand why the Aussies and Germans would rather win nothing than a silver or bronze (although not guarenteed, they would have stood a f***ing great chance).

I think Cav had just had enough of it all really. Going right back to the green jersey win last year he's been asked some pretty moronic questions by British journalists who appear to have not even done a 2 minute google search about professional cycling (i.e now you've won the green jersey will you try and win the yellow jersey?). The BBC couldn't get their head round the fact that the Olympic RR isn't that big a deal in cycling and that winning even one stage of the Tour probably has more kudos. Asking whether they jeopardised their olympic chances by targetting the Tour is just ridiculous.

He can be a bit of a dick some times but obviously the frustrations were too much. The Aussies obviously had too much respect for GB, they put O'Grady in the break so they didn't have to work and fully expected that GB would pull it all back together.

Italy, France, Spain should all have more soul searching to do. Spain had 3 in the break and not one of them marked the move - probably because Sanchez and Valverde are both massive prima donnas.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes but their sprinter would have stood a better chance. Glad those negative fuckers won nothing. Hope we destroy them on the track!

Face it. GB f***ed up tactically by placing all their eggs in the one basket.

Don't hate on other nations who came into the race with more than one plan.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well maybe it is because i am a pom but most of the talk in the office is about the main medal prospects, the 4x100 and which event they can smash the poms in. Radio on my drive home was slating cavendish and ripping it out of the brits ( All posh with bad teeth and whinge). It is the banter they love,but equally they like and respect the UK.

Cricket is the same here as in the UK, small crowds for domestic except t20, still loads of interest in internationals. Soccerball growing,but nothing eclipses AFL.

Basically they love a bit of banter, but its 'ALL GOOD'. Not heard of the yanks as a major reason to win. Just losts of so long as we beat the poms. May be different in Geelong though ....

You must be aware of the rest of Australia's opinion on Adelaide surely?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think Cav had just had enough of it all really. Going right back to the green jersey win last year he's been asked some pretty moronic questions by British journalists who appear to have not even done a 2 minute google search about professional cycling (i.e now you've won the green jersey will you try and win the yellow jersey?). The BBC couldn't get their head round the fact that the Olympic RR isn't that big a deal in cycling and that winning even one stage of the Tour probably has more kudos. Asking whether they jeopardised their olympic chances by targetting the Tour is just ridiculous.

He can be a bit of a dick some times but obviously the frustrations were too much. The Aussies obviously had too much respect for GB, they put O'Grady in the break so they didn't have to work and fully expected that GB would pull it all back together.

Italy, France, Spain should all have more soul searching to do. Spain had 3 in the break and not one of them marked the move - probably because Sanchez and Valverde are both massive prima donnas.

Spot on.

No idea why he would come out with that about the Australian team. Maybe he thought there would be some kind of Anglo cooperation during the race.

D

Deleted member 18477

Face it. GB f***ed up tactically by placing all their eggs in the one basket.

Don't hate on other nations who came into the race with more than one plan.

The Aussies f***ed both 'plans'. :clap2: and if they had stuck to plan A they may have won silver :ffsparr: thick lazy negative fuckers!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think the Aussies only really had one plan as well!

Hard to say mate.

When rogers went off the front I'm sure that was in the hope a few other riders would go with him and they could get into the main breakaway at the time.

That was Plan B i'd assume.

Plan C would have been Goss if they had pull the break back.

Nice, start slagging off your own as well! Jesus!

No really, it's got a bit of the Croydons about its population.

Drive a car from Victoria to an AFL football match there and they'll key your paint work, chuck rocks at it or do some kind of damage to it.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To me, Cav's interview came across as the typical 'heat of the moment' rant. I'm sure, given some time to mull it over, that he would choose different words if he were to give the interview now.

I'm certainly not going to think less of someone for being a bit worked up after not winning an event on home soil, especially given weight of expectation. I would have been more annoyed if he hadn't been that bothered, to be honest.

D

Deleted member 18477

To me, Cav's interview came across as the typical 'heat of the moment' rant. I'm sure, given some time to mull it over, that he would choose different words if he were to give the interview now.

I'm certainly not going to think less of someone for being a bit worked up after not winning an event on home soil, especially given weight of expectation. I would have been more annoyed if he hadn't been that bothered, to be honest.

Spot on. If he could have done it again would he have gone with the breakaway? I expect so. But that's easy to say after. What's for sure though is that he's def not a massive cock for being frustrated and passionate.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So now you're admitting that australian sport IS mainly anglo ?

Wrong.

We're talking about cycling. Australia, UK, USA and their professional teams are seen as "Anglo" teams/riders in the cycling world.

So please impart your vast knowledge of cycling upon up if you could.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Spot on. If he could have done it again would he have gone with the breakaway? I expect so. But that's easy to say after. What's for sure though is that he's def not a massive cock for being frustrated and passionate.

The point is why blame someone else for his disappointment?

Why not blame himself, his team or management?

TBH that sounds a bit like "sing when you're winning" mentality - all the time Australia were top of the ranking and beating us 5-0 everything was rosey, now they are dropping down the ranking like a stone everybody is losing interest.

Exactly this, it reminds me of Palace fans saying that League position doesn't matter, well they have for years so whats changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here