Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aussie Press

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My comments weren't ridiculous. They were backed up with flat out statistical truth. You can't comment on the game of cricket out here because you don't live out here or see local cricket clubs struggling for numbers.

TBH that sounds a bit like "sing when you're winning" mentality - all the time Australia were top of the ranking and beating us 5-0 everything was rosey, now they are dropping down the ranking like a stone everybody is losing interest.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My comments weren't ridiculous. They were backed up with flat out statistical truth. You can't comment on the game of cricket out here because you don't live out here or see local cricket clubs struggling for numbers.

Participation rates of cricket have been dropping for a few years now over here. Nothing like as popular as it once was. Other sports have over taken it.

When it comes to the Olympics most people would want to beat the Yanks first and foremost.

It's been like that for a while now.

Is there even a sport at the Olympics that the our two nations have a fierce rivalry with?

Watching this morning, I think there will be some decent rivalry in the rowing, in particular the coxless fours.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
TBH that sounds a bit like "sing when you're winning" mentality - all the time Australia were top of the ranking and beating us 5-0 everything was rosey, now they are dropping down the ranking like a stone everybody is losing interest.

Quite

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You really should stop commenting on Australia, you appear to know nothing about it going by your comments.

We have large Middle eastern communities. We've rapidly growing African communities. Large communities of Islanders from the Pacific. Communities from most South American nations in all major cities.

Not a lot of other Ethnicities? That's the bit to make someone chuckle.
I didn't say there was NOBODY else, did I? What is making me chuckle is your assertion that you have "large communities of Islanders from the Pacific". I think that says all we need to know about your idea of "large" when everybody knows that hardly anyone lives on the Pacific Islands in the first place.

Anyway this is all off the point. I'm not saying you haven't got a diverse population. I'm saying that to use that as an excuse for not caring about cricket is laughable, especially as the UK is comparible, multiculturally.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

As stated, the nations changing. Cricket isn't popular among many of the people who have settled here.

Other sports have increased ten fold in junior participation over the last ten years to the detriment of cricket.

Cricket's an incredibly boring sport to a lot of people strange as it may seem to those who love it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I didn't say there was NOBODY else, did I? What is making me chuckle is your assertion that you have "large communities of Islanders from the Pacific". I think that says all we need to know about your idea of "large" when everybody knows that hardly anyone lives on the Pacific Islands in the first place.

Anyway this is all off the point. I'm not saying you haven't got a diverse population. I'm saying that to use that as an excuse for not caring about cricket is laughable, especially as the UK is comparible, multiculturally.

The point perhaps you missed or chose to overlook was that the largest of your immigrant communities came from nations who have a history with cricket.

The largest of ours do not have a cricket history.

Blind Freddie can work out that will effect the popularity of the sport among the overall population.

D

Deleted member 18477

Cavendish was a complete cock about it so I'm not surprised he's been ripped to shreds over it. Ultimately, the British team were the team to beat, so it stands to reason NO-ONE was going to help them. And why single out the Aussies anyway? It was the Germans who had the second best sprinter after Cavendish, and they did nothing.

And anyway, his interview at the end of the ride exposed him as a classless twat. He went right down in my estimations after that, and I should imagine anyone else who watched it.

Bore off!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The point perhaps you missed or chose to overlook was that the largest of your immigrant communities came from nations who have a history with cricket.

Blind Freddie can work out that will effect the popularity of the sport among the overall population.

The Polish national cricket team are doing pretty well aren't they

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

lovely jubbly,more ashes wins for us!!!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

D

Deleted member 18477

Eh? ???

Are we not allowed to criticise him then?

He wasn't a complete cock. The thing is and what's so frustrating is that it did none of the 'good teams' any favours by being lazy fuckers! They surely would have preferred a silver or bronze to nothing and they could have got one if they had worked with the Brits. So it really does seem like they were happy not to get anything as long as team GB didn't either. I've got nothing against the heroic ride of the winner, but I just cannot understand why the Aussies and Germans would rather win nothing than a silver or bronze (although not guarenteed, they would have stood a f***ing great chance).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
but I just cannot understand why the Aussies and Germans would rather win nothing than a silver or bronze (although not guarenteed, they would have stood a f***ing great chance).

Do you not watch much cycling?

Stuart O'Grady was in the breakaway.

Why the hell would Australia help chase him down? That's the most moronic part of Cavs outburst.

He should have known full well why Australia wouldn't help chase the break away down.

D

Deleted member 18477

Do you not watch much cycling?

Stuart O'Grady was in the breakaway.

Why the hell would Australia help chase him down? That's the most moronic part of Cavs outburst.

He should have known full well why Australia wouldn't help chase the break away down.

Yes but their sprinter would have stood a better chance. Glad those negative fuckers won nothing. Hope we destroy them on the track!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've not seen the Cavendish interview, but have seen split opinions on it. Some people say he's been overly rude, others agree with him that the reporter was asking stupid questions and deserved to be put into place. Really need to find said interview and see it myself

Those people defending it seem to be the hard core cycling fans. Having read a fair bit about the race since, I can understand why Team GB failed to get up with the frontrunners given that the peloton's help is the norm to give everyone a chance at the finish. However, for most people like me who don't generally follow the sport, the idea that Cavendish might have left some of his power on the Champs-Elysee seemed entirely logical. So I don't think it was an unreasonable question overall.

If Cavanagh is going to reap the substantial rewards that mainstream publicity brings, he'll have to accept that there will be plenty of cycling JCL's who need the finer points explained. Or at least, just shrug off the odd dodgy question. His petulant response showed him to be a bit of an arse in my opinion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He wasn't a complete cock. The thing is and what's so frustrating is that it did none of the 'good teams' any favours by being lazy fuckers! They surely would have preferred a silver or bronze to nothing and they could have got one if they had worked with the Brits. So it really does seem like they were happy not to get anything as long as team GB didn't either. I've got nothing against the heroic ride of the winner, but I just cannot understand why the Aussies and Germans would rather win nothing than a silver or bronze (although not guarenteed, they would have stood a f***ing great chance).
Yes, I know all that FFS. Clearly you've gone for the "bore off" option as opposed to reading my posts on the thread. All you've done is stated the f***ing obvious. Well done you.

The point is that firstly, Cavendish was unnecessarily rude to the interviewer and then proceeded to blame others. Secondly, it is true that the Germans and Aussies got it wrong, but that's their perogative. But the British riders did too, and there was no plan B when it did. He's just got all bitter about the Aussies not reading HIS script. All this "they were happy as long as we didn't win it" bullshit is a disgrace really.

So yes, he really was a massive massive COCK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here