Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup Squad

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
humpy said:
i may not see him play for munich (yes i do know who he plays for and where he plays twat) but i have seen him play enough times for england and he is shit .:salute:

right :p

if by 'shit' you mean he's as fit as any player in the premiership, can tackle cleanly and fairly unlike virtually any other Midfielder in the squad, has a good shot and cross on him, then I agree with you.

If however you meant 'shit' in that he's been thrown on as a last resort substitution for 15-20 minutes with a team in dissaray and not single handedly won the match then I don't.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
should have been no hargreaves or walcott. in their place bent and wright-phillips.

what a joke with walcott but i expected hargreaves because sven likes him. only person who does!!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
zefarelly said:

if by 'shit' you mean he's as fit as any player in the premiership, can tackle cleanly and fairly unlike virtually any other Midfielder in the squad, has a good shot and cross on him, then I agree with you.

If however you meant 'shit' in that he's been thrown on as a last resort substitution for 15-20 minutes with a team in dissaray and not single handedly won the match then I don't.
:clap:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates all this unfounded bollocks that is spouted about Hargreaves.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Goalkeepers - fair enough. I'd have taken Carson over Green though.

Defenders - Again, fair enough, although Campbell bloody lucky because he has been unreliable all season. Bridge lucky because he's been injured, Matt Taylor very unlucky not to be considered (and he can take pens!). Ledley should be on standby instead of Luke Young at the very least.

Midfield - Hargreaves!?!? We have plenty of cover without taking a player who's been out of form all season. I agree with no SWP though.

Strikers - Unbelievable that with unfit Owen and Rooney he does not take Defoe in the 23, a proven goalscorer (see yesterday and Poland match for scoring key goals).

As for Walcott, only time will tell.

Overall, the squad smacks of an established 11 with 3 or 4 "impact" players. The rest can go play PlayStation for a month. We are one striker short, it should have been Fowler for Hargreaves.

Donkey Hoaty

Mar 28, 2006
Uckfield
Sneaky George said:
I think it's a very bold and exciting selection, picking ( for the most part) our form players. Downing, Lennon and Walcott won't start will they but clearly they're players who have huge skill, pace and flair. One of them just might do something when we need a goal in the last few minutes. Well done Sven.
Are you really saying CKR should be going to the World Cup based on experience ?? !!

I agree that Lennon and Downing should go and I also agree that on the whole the squad so far is a very good one.

I am not saying that CKR should be in the squad:rolleyes:. There are many more capable players we could use insyead of Walcott - ones that have actually played first team football this season and scored goals eg). Ashton, Harewood, Zamora, Bent, Defoe or Johnson.

Also think Reo-Coker should be in the squad instead of Hargreaves.

SheffGull

Feb 27, 2006
Sheffield
we cant get rid of owen or rooney because they have injuries already its just players who get injuries from now on...

What?? Get rid of? Are you talking about replacing them in the squad? Because they have up to 24 hrs b4 the first game to rwplace any injured players regardless on when they picked up the injury

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
brightonfan_86 said:
What do you mean what a joke with Walcott? to me its a brave discision by Sven.

brave, Brave???!!! no its stupid, if bent and defoe are out of format least they are playing first team footie. what about beatie or harewood or even sheringham or fowler. not a 17 year old youth player... we're not northern ireland who will pick players cos they are on the books of a big club.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I like the squad and I am very pleased that Theo's included.

For those who don't know I've worked for Southampton FC this season and regularly seen Walcott play for Saints first team, reserves, youth and in training.

He is so so so so quick its astonishing. His pace is easily in the Henry mould. He has got a very decent finish on him too. I will balance it up though. He does miss a number of one on ones (but he gets there when others wouldn't) and he has got a lot to improve on (long shots, crossing, holding the ball up). The reason Walcott is such a trump card though is if we go into extra time. Imagine extra time, tired legs, and bring Theo on. He would absolutly terrorise defenders.

Owen Hargeaves knows Germany, all the grounds and the like. He plays regularly for one of the better teams in Europe. It's easy to slag him off because we don't see what he does on match of the day every week. Out of sight out of mind.

Also bear in mind that Owen and Rooney can both be pulled out of the squad the day before the competition starts if they're still injured.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
SheffGull said:
What?? Get rid of? Are you talking about replacing them in the squad? Because they have up to 24 hrs b4 the first game to rwplace any injured players regardless on when they picked up the injury

maybe your right... not what i heard

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Turkey said:
I like the squad and I am very pleased that Theo's included.

For those who don't know I've worked for Southampton FC this season and regularly seen Walcott play for Saints first team, reserves, youth and in training.

He is so so so so quick its astonishing. His pace is easily in the Henry mould. He has got a very decent finish on him too. I will balance it up though. He does miss a number of one on ones (but he gets there when others wouldn't) and he has got a lot to improve on (long shots, crossing, holding the ball up). The reason Walcott is such a trump card though is if we go into extra time. Imagine extra time, tired legs, and bring Theo on. He would absolutly terrorise defenders.

Owen Hargeaves knows Germany, all the grounds and the like. He plays regularly for one of the better teams in Europe. It's easy to slag him off because we don't see what he does on match of the day every week. Out of sight out of mind.

Also bear in mind that Owen and Rooney can both be pulled out of the squad the day before the competition starts if they're still injured.

pick him yes... after the world cup, when hes playing first team footie or if you have to for a freindly not in the world cup finals... a complete joke im baffled

SheffGull

Feb 27, 2006
Sheffield
The inclusion of Theo in the squad has suprised a lot of people! I personally think that Sven is taking a gamble knowing that he can afford to as he is leaving after the competion. He has nothing to lose... if it pays off he is a hero!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
zefarelly said:

Spot on zef. Unfortunately you're talking to the 'little englanders' here.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Silent Bob said:
:clap:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates all this unfounded bollocks that is spouted about Hargreaves.

Me too. Just because he's not a 'flair player' doesn't mean he's shit.

I also think I'm the only person in the WORLD who thinks SWP is over rated. Sure he's exciting, but I don't think he's good enough to trouble world quality defences.

My only dissapointment is the inclusion of Cambell. Yes he was a great defender in the past, but I'm not convinced he can reach that level anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here