Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup Squad

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sven obviously just doesn't reckon Defoe or Bent are world class and he is probably right..... has taken a gamble on Walcott and if he uses him right we may see the best of him..... as an impact player off the bench Walcott with his pace may prove to be a valuable asset.... at least he is taking risks.

SWP ?... I actually believe Sven made the right decision picking Lennon ahead of him as SWP has been poor when he has played for Chelsea and Lennon is in terrific form

Hargreaves ?? Well Sven has got me on that one... he always looks like a right back to me !!!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Turkey said:
For those who don't know I've worked for Southampton FC this season and regularly seen Walcott play for Saints first team, reserves, youth and in training. He is so so so so quick its astonishing. His pace is easily in the Henry mould. He has got a very decent finish on him too.

4 goals in 13 (+8) Championship appearances. Hardly a prolific scorer, even at the second level. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Southampton improve after Walcott had joined Arsenal? Wasn't their form in the second half of the season better than it was in the first?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
blockhseagull said:
Sven obviously just doesn't reckon Defoe or Bent are world class and he is probably right..... has taken a gamble on Walcott and if he uses him right we may see the best of him..... as an impact player off the bench Walcott with his pace may prove to be a valuable asset.... at least he is taking risks.

SWP ?... I actually believe Sven made the right decision picking Lennon ahead of him as SWP has been poor when he has played for Chelsea and Lennon is in terrific form

Hargreaves ?? Well Sven has got me on that one... he always looks like a right back to me !!!
well said Sir

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What an interesting squad.

He's spent the past five years being utterly, utterly predictable and now, suddenly, he's gone for it and really mixed it up. I wonder if his bravery comes from the fact that he knows he can afford to gamble; if it goes tits up he's not going to be here for the recriminations, if it goes well he'll be remembered as a brave, bold, genius...

My initial reaction was one of shock when looking at the forward selections: two unfit strikers, one 'supersub' and one, well, god knows what Walcott is.

Presumably he's going to play five in midfield. I guess Downing and Lennon will be used as a pacy, skillful direct threat down the flanks if we need to get a goal. I'm quite pleased Downing is in the squad- it allows Joe Cole to play just off Owen, in thesame role as Rooney. Downing can play on the left of the midfield four and give the team some natural balance.

I'm a little baffled by the inclusion of Walcott. I can't imagine that something like this has ever happened before. I can only surmise that he'll be used as a super sub? Is Erikson planning to beat the better teams by packing out the midfield making us sit back and then letting Gerrard and Beckham do their forty yarders into space? Bring Walcott on with 15mins left and let his speedy little legs cause havoc against the tiring legs of the defenders?

I just wish that Erikson had experimented a little more before now-I think the squad he's chosen is going to require a lot of flexibility, which sadly could be lacking due to him playing exactly the same players, in exactly the same style for five years.

God knows what's actually going to happen. It's quite exciting though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To give Sven credit, he's avoided the likes of Phil Neville and Heskey.

I'll be interested to see the starting formation, I reckon he'll have Joe Cole / Gerrard playing off Owen, with Carrick holding.

Lennon, Walcott and Crouch for impact. Certainly exciting, but still a lack of experience and confidence in front of goal for me.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
philgull25 said:
pick him yes... after the world cup, when hes playing first team footie or if you have to for a freindly not in the world cup finals... a complete joke im baffled

I think it suggests we'll be playing 4-5-1. I very much doubt Walcott will be starting. He is deffinatly a gamble. He's so quick though that he can make himself chances. Like Crouch is a tall player, Walcott is a quick player and gives us something different. I think he adds something different on an international level wheras Defoe/Bent and co are a much of a muchness.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
blockhseagull said:

When SWP went to Chelski, I always thought his chances of making the world cup where always going to be slim, and today has proved it. SWP has been a total waste of space at Chelski and its right for Sven to pick Lennon instead of him.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Laughing Bluebird said:
4 goals in 13 (+8) Championship appearances. Hardly a prolific scorer, even at the second level. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Southampton improve after Walcott had joined Arsenal? Wasn't their form in the second half of the season better than it was in the first?
More to do with Burley than Walcott but I agree with the rest of what you say. :down:

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
ok fair enough bent and defoe arent world class, but walcott isnt premiership class yet. i do however agree with lennon over swp, but hargreaves :nono:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Well Im going to the Jamaica Game at Old Trafford so hopefully will give an update!

:flameboun

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Having read all these posts - the words "gamble" good, and bad and "brave" appear quite often. This is the World Cup finals, I would not expect an England manager to gamble or to make brave decisions. SWP not going is an utter disgrace, as for Walcott, the World Cup finals is not the place to try out new faces!

Donkey Hoaty

Mar 28, 2006
Uckfield
Remember this is only his provisional he still has a while before naming his final squad:rolleyes:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think to be fair we have 15 players that pick themselves then the reamining players are always up for debate as they are not that brilliant.
Walcott is a good gamble , he is lightning quick , and I mean lightning. I would rather of seen another striker included at the expense of Campbell,
Lennon is another gamble and Im happy to have him

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
wallington seagull said:
Having read all these posts - the words "gamble" good, and bad and "brave" appear quite often. This is the World Cup finals, I would not expect an England manager to gamble or to make brave decisions. SWP not going is an utter disgrace, as for Walcott, the World Cup finals is not the place to try out new faces!

As I said above, SWP has been totally wasted at Chelski and his chances of making the World Cup where always going to be slim.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I actually think Sven has picked a squad which gives him a hell of alot of different options and players that can play in more than one position.

The only real gamble is Walcott and the only bad pick in my view in Hargreaves, but with King injured maybe he sees him as cover as a holding midfielder and can also play right back as he has only really picked Neville in that place, although Carragher can play there i suppose

SheffGull

Feb 27, 2006
Sheffield
SWP must have known b4 his move to Chelsea that he might not get a lot of First team fotball, therefore possible affecting his selection for the world cup.
If he had stayed where he was im sure he would be going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here