Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup Squad

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
4 goals in 13 (+8) Championship appearances. Hardly a prolific scorer, even at the second level. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Southampton improve after Walcott had joined Arsenal? Wasn't their form in the second half of the season better than it was in the first?

He also scored as a sub in the FA Cup (against a side relegated from League One!).

I wouldn't say their form improved in the second half of the season. It picked up in the last few games. They did miss Niemi/Quahie/Walcott though.

I've also seen his goals in the reserves and youth. I know that counts for nothing at the top level but they were often bloody brilliant.

I don't really think his experience and goal record is an issue though. It's not great. Thats why he is a gamble. What he does have is rediculous pace and that makes him a big threat. He makes defenders scared to pass the ball. He worries defenders and rightly so.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Michael Carrick has been outstanding this season and well deserves his place. Everyone seems to be missing a trick with him. Surely you could play Beckham, Gerrard, Carrick and Lampard in midfield, with Joe Cole as the floating role behind Michael Owen, assuming he's fit. Rooney plays behind Owen, and Cole has the ability to unlock defences, so surely Cole could fill the gap on his form this season.

I think Sol Campbell is one lucky player, if ever there was a case of a man being picked on his reputation alone, he is it. He does not deserve to be there on form.

Matthew Taylor, who said that? Have a laugh, he might look pretty going forward but his defending has been patchy at best, even when Pompey are winning.

And I'd have thought Dean Ashton would have warranted a look at some point this season.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
4 goals in 13 (+8) Championship appearances. Hardly a prolific scorer, even at the second level. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Southampton improve after Walcott had joined Arsenal? Wasn't their form in the second half of the season better than it was in the first?

Yes their form was better. Something to do with Burley perhaps?

In a struggling team overall. There is no doubting his capabilities. Why can he not perform on the big stage? Is there really any difference to the games of football. Of course the quality of the opposition are better, but if you rely on pace then you should be fine.

Great selection by Sven. :clap:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
blockhseagull said:
The only real gamble is Walcott
The gamble is taking Walcott, along with two crocked players and Crouch, who while good is never going to be prolific, and leaving the top English scorer out ALL TOGETHER while including the inferior Johnson and out of form Defoe.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Silent Bob said:
The gamble is taking Walcott, along with two crocked players and Crouch, who while good is never going to be prolific, and leaving the top English scorer out ALL TOGETHER while including the inferior Johnson and out of form Defoe.

I think if Bent was in the form he was early season he would be going but unfortunatly he has been a victim of the fact Charlton stop playing in Feb and since them he has looked out of form

NewtownRoad

Mar 3, 2006
Hove
Nothing wrong with taking a secret weapon with pace. Remember Owen in 98. Interesting if Theo makes his England debut before he plays for Arsenal though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Southampton improve after Walcott had joined Arsenal? Wasn't their form in the second half of the season better than it was in the first?

Except Southampton were a disorganised rabble until Burley turned them round, so a 16 year old was hardly likely to shine.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
reo-coker... saw him against arsenal and looked quality. always thought he had a chance. him rather than hargreaves. him or phil neville, i know its controversial but a good back-up for carrick and has alot of experience.

walcott.. next world cup, not yet upto it just by the fact sven is going on a hunch from another managers. if he proves me wrong then thats fantastic i agree that he could be world class and bent prob wont be upto that standard but bent for me should be going as we want to win it now instead of 4 years time, anything could happen (another rooney scenario..or pennant :nono: ) .

as for the back ups: carson and young are fair enough, reo coker has been mentioned before hand. aj is a joke and is in their on last seasons penalty conversions(no better word i could think of im not American), and defoe is out of form but id have him thier with bent in the squad and no walcott. either him or beatie who has had a good season.

overall a good squad with a couple of dodgey picks. but hey thats what sven does, we've all witnessed his subsitutions

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Turkey said:
I wouldn't say their form improved in the second half of the season.

And you'd be right! I don't know why I thought their form was better during the second half of the season, but I've just had a look at the tables after 23 and 46 games, and it was actually worse!

I hear what you say about his pace and his ability to worry defenders, but then those are defenders at Championship or reserve level. It's a bit different at the World Cup Finals! As I say, I saw Walcott play against Cardiff just after Christmas and I couldn't believe he was so highly-rated. Chris Barker had him under complete control, and Barker ain't the best, let's put it that way.

Walcott has scored just five goals in his senior career. Those were struck against Leeds United, Millwall, Stoke City, Luton Town and the MK Dons. Does that look like the profile of a World Cup striker to you? Is he really one of the best options England have available?

Good luck to the lad. I hope he does the business. But, personally, I don't think the decision to take him to the World Cup is either brave, or a gamble. I think it's madness.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
SWP doesn't deserve to be in the squad based on this seasons performances, we also have too many right sided players, I think SWP's a bit of a Paul Brooker myself, lots of disco moves that end up at the corner flag with a throw in if your lucky !

OH can play on the left without looking like a clown

I'm happy with the squad, and given how prolific Joe Cole, Frank Lampard and Steve Gerrard particularly have been at scoring from midfield this season, scoring should not be a problem. defence worries me more, Ferdinand as talented as he can be is a liability mentally, the exact opposite for Terry, Sol is mental full stop. Ashley COle has only just come back from injury and has a tendancy to wander and drift out of his depth from time to time.

I also like the idea of a few relatively unknowns, could work wonders against the bigger nations in the latter stages . . . think Owen vs Argies 98

Last edited:

E

enigma

While Ferdinand does have lapses of concentration, he's usually played pretty well for England, same with Sol. England missed Rio during Euro 2004.

Terry is a great player at a club level but hasnt shown it for England, mainly in my opinion due to having to adjust to a new system. Thats another reason why I think using the 451 would be beneficial.

Dandyman

In London village.
edna krabappel said:
Michael Carrick has been outstanding this season and well deserves his place. Everyone seems to be missing a trick with him. Surely you could play Beckham, Gerrard, Carrick and Lampard in midfield, with Joe Cole as the floating role behind Michael Owen, assuming he's fit. Rooney plays behind Owen, and Cole has the ability to unlock defences, so surely Cole could fill the gap on his form this season.

I think Sol Campbell is one lucky player, if ever there was a case of a man being picked on his reputation alone, he is it. He does not deserve to be there on form.

Matthew Taylor, who said that? Have a laugh, he might look pretty going forward but his defending has been patchy at best, even when Pompey are winning.

And I'd have thought Dean Ashton would have warranted a look at some point this season.

:clap: Only place Campbell should be going is the funny farm.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
And you'd be right! I don't know why I thought their form was better during the second half of the season, but I've just had a look at the tables after 23 and 46 games, and it was actually worse!

I hear what you say about his pace and his ability to worry defenders, but then those are defenders at Championship or reserve level. It's a bit different at the World Cup Finals! As I say, I saw Walcott play against Cardiff just after Christmas and I couldn't believe he was so highly-rated. Chris Barker had him under complete control, and Barker ain't the best, let's put it that way.

Walcott has scored just five goals in his senior career. Those were struck against Leeds United, Millwall, Stoke City, Luton Town and the MK Dons. Does that look like the profile of a World Cup striker to you? Is he really one of the best options England have available?

Good luck to the lad. I hope he does the business. But, personally, I don't think the decision to take him to the World Cup is either brave, or a gamble. I think it's madness.

I don't think how many times he played, scored or who he scored against really matters.

With his pace he'll score goals at any level. I don't see what Bent/Defoe etc would really add to us. They'd just come in and do okay. Bent/Defoe haven't had particularly good finishes to the season either. Wheras Walcott has the raw attributes to make a difference.

Used in the right way (extra time sub for me) Walcott could do very very well. We'll see..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here