Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup Squad

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
dont see a problem taking risk on Walcott - his pace alone is enough to terrorise any side and create space for more experienced players in second half of games

BUT

there should be a proven goalscorer in team to cover for Owen and Rooney

furthermore, whilst i agree Hargreaves doesnt get too many plaudits cos we dont see much of him but what exactly is his purpose in the team. we have adequate cover in all areas where he plays and hes never excelled for england. just dont get it when taking such a risk with strikers.

campbell shouldnt be going either. hes off the pace totally and is a shadow of his former self.

good choice to take lennon over wright-phillips - should also raise concerns over players joining chelsea in long term too

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Rich Suvner said:
furthermore, whilst i agree Hargreaves doesnt get too many plaudits cos we dont see much of him but what exactly is his purpose in the team. we have adequate cover in all areas where he plays and hes never excelled for england. just dont get it when taking such a risk with strikers.

Good point although I'd rather swap Jenas for a striker.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hargreaves is there as he can cover centre midfield, right midfield and right back. Carragher can also cover a few positions. I suspect they decided they were going to take 2 utility players and the 4 options were Carragher, Hargreaves, King and P Neville. Well if Phil Neville had been selected everyone would be bitching and King is not fit, so it was Hargreaves and Carragher.

Regarding SWP not being in there, well he has been poor for his club and Lennon has been superb for Spurs.

Glad Downing is in there, as it means we have a left footed midfielder in there, for a change.

Walcott is a gamble, would not have be as much as a surprise if we had taken 5 forwards and one of them was him or Ashton.

However I think that in the warm up games, Joe Cole will be asked to play something similar to the Rooney role, with Carrick in a holding role and Beckham, Fat Frank and Gerrard across the midfield. I think Lampard may struggle in that and you could end up with Downing coming in to give it some balance.

However was asking about Fowler, read the section is his book about the last World Cup as to why he is not in the squad.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Uncle Buck said:

However I think that in the warm up games, Joe Cole will be asked to play something similar to the Rooney role, with Carrick in a holding role and Beckham, Fat Frank and Gerrard across the midfield. I think Lampard may struggle in that and you could end up with Downing coming in to give it some balance.

When has Lampard struggled for England? He has always looked the better player over Gerrard, although at club level I don't doubt that Gerrard is the better player. If Sven was to play the above, I'd bet Gerrard would be the one playing out of position.

On the squad front, Cole playing behind Owen makes sense but for that to work Downing or Lennon has to play on the left. Seems like making one problem to solve another - Cole has been the best midfielder for England over the past year.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hannibal smith said:
When has Lampard struggled for England? He has always looked the better player over Gerrard, although at club level I don't doubt that Gerrard is the better player. If Sven was to play the above, I'd bet Gerrard would be the one playing out of position.

On the squad front, Cole playing behind Owen makes sense but for that to work Downing or Lennon has to play on the left. Seems like making one problem to solve another - Cole has been the best midfielder for England over the past year.

Lampard has played well when he has been allowed to bomb forward for England. If England do go down the route of something along the lines of 4-1-3-1-1, I think he might struggle. He may well adapt to it, but it might be that he struggles with a more disciplined role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here