Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Weight loss jabs - Mounjaro, Wegovy etc.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Problem is, it looks like now there are.

I had thought about that, don't these lead to much lower eating?

Subject to side effects, if these really help folk who are very overweight ... joints, T2 diabetes, cancer risk factor, inflammation etc, on the face of it I'm pleased they have a route out of that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Packets of crisps, an ice cream when the van came round, and Mars bars. Not forgetting the bag of chips with bits.

But remarkable as to why 70's kids were much slimmer than now in the main.

Guessing .... walking or cycling distances, playing sport with mates, food portions were smaller, a snack might be a single chocolate bar or small packet of crisps. We were comfortable for money, but rarely got take away food, fish n chips once a year if lucky on returning late from Cornwall each August. Pizza, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King didn't exist. There wasn't array of takeaways near the school gates. A Cadbury's Flake or packet of Golden Wonder for kids walking miles or playing football, is a universe away from today's camped out at McDonalds or the burger place.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
No. Boots and Asda in the UK can sell only substances that are approved as 'over the counter' non prescription items, and most of these are either long established things like aspirin, or are classed as dietary supplements, not medicines.

Without checking I am not sure how these weight loss items are classed. If they are injectables they they will definitely not be on legal sale over the internet.
Sorry but that’s a desperately misinformed view. These drugs are legitimately on sale online and that’s how the majority are purchased as the NHS is able to fund only chronically obese patients.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
Exactly.

Diet as in calorific intake is everything. To lose weight, people have to go through the discomfort/anguish of days/weeks/months where intake is lower energy spent. Of likely feeling 'hungry' and not addressing that with food. There are no shortcuts.
Yes, there are shortcuts. GLP1 enablers like the drugs being discussed here help to provide the hormone that gives the user a sense of fullness after eating. It’s a hormone that’s largely absent or depleted in people with eating disorders and obesity.

I’ve said it several times but will say it again — these drugs will work only when combined with an improved eating and exercise regime. But crucially, they make it easier to undergo what you call the months of discomfort and anguish. Anything that reduces that has to be a good thing. On top of that, many people report additional benefits like a reduction in addictive behaviour, and in alcohol and drug dependence.

It’s good to be wary of what the tabloids call 'miracle cures' but just occasionally there are genuine breakthroughs in medical science.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, there are shortcuts. GLP1 enablers like the drugs being discussed here help to provide the hormone that gives the user a sense of fullness after eating. It’s a hormone that’s largely absent or depleted in people with eating disorders and obesity.

I’ve said it several times but will say it again — these drugs will work only when combined with an improved eating and exercise regime. But crucially, they make it easier to undergo what you call the months of discomfort and anguish. Anything that reduces that has to be a good thing. On top of that, many people report additional benefits like a reduction in addictive behaviour, and alcohol and drug dependence.

It’s good to be wary of what the tabloids call 'miracle cures' but just occasionally there are genuine breakthroughs in medical science.

I'm not disagreeing with you if you read my posts. I stand to be corrected by knowledgeable @HWT, to me they mean far fewer calories are consumed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But remarkable as to why 70's kids were much slimmer than now in the main.

Guessing .... walking or cycling distances, playing sport with mates, food portions were smaller, a snack might be a single chocolate bar or small packet of crisps. We were comfortable for money, but rarely got take away food, fish n chips once a year if lucky on returning late from Cornwall each August. Pizza, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King didn't exist. There wasn't array of takeaways near the school gates. A Cadbury's Flake or packet of Golden Wonder for kids walking miles or playing football, is a universe away from today's camped out at McDonalds or the burger place.
My two grew up in the 70s & 80s, and I found out they were spending their dinner money at the local chippy instead of paying for their lunches. They got a rocket from me!

Another generalisation, my grandchildren now late teens/20s don’t eat fast food, learning how to cook properly before going to uni. Visiting my granddaughter, I was impressed at the amount of fresh vegs she bought at her local supermarket.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
They're a sticking plaster and unless the individual changes their lifestyle you're gonna need a lot of plasters.

Maybe for extreme cases these are a good idea with strict rules but giving them out like sweets is a bad really idea, I think Streeting gets this.
I think they are a little better than that, it's a useful tool to reduce satiety and promote gluconeogenesis. The general target for these drugs will typically have comorbidities and often not live in ideal circumstances. Where care is more joined up, eg diabetes clinics, lifestyle and diet are also part of the therapy. I don't think these are extreme cases, Diabetes UK will tell you this is > 5.6M people. Losing body mass in t2DM will generally have beneficial impact on comorbidities like high BP, lipids, etc. Many millions more people when you include metabolic syndrome and NAFLD.

But I do agree with you, there are only around 39000 places on weight management programmes per year so mostly these drugs won't reach their potential efficacy. There's also potential for their missuse to cause lots of harm. They certainly shouldn't be used like sweets. People want a silver bullet and we don't seem to understand diet any more. However, they may also give people some control over their lives which may be neccessary to achieve the lifestyle changes to not gain weight again.

I find it more worrying that many people are obtaining such powerful drugs without having understood their use properly. Further, from unreliable sources or even making their own (this was discussed on Woman's Hour a few months back, it turns out to cost around £50 a month this way).

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Mounjaro is weekly. I think the previous generation (Wegovy, Ozempic etc) were/are daily but that seems like a faff. There are plenty of reputable outlets including Boots and Asda. MedExpress was mentioned. I’m going to use Simple Online Pharmacy because my sister in law used them and recommends them. The price also seems lower than most. £130 for a month's supply (using their £10 off voucher code).

Wegovy is also weekly, costs a lot more though. I get it from Numan, lower doses are £230, 1.7 and up (the dose I was on eventually) goes up to £299. You do have to constantly check in with them so they can make sure you're not losing weight too quickly etc and they have coaches and advisers you can talk to anytime.

It really helps me stick to doing calorie-controlled keto, I lost about three stone in four months earlier in the year, had a break for holidays and just got back on to lose the last couple of stone to get me into the middle of my bmi range. No side effects and no huge weight gain afterwards despite a couple of months off.

I may switch to Mounjaro if the costs are that much different though tbh, not sure if it's as effective though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My two grew up in the 70s & 80s, and I found out they were spending their dinner money at the local chippy instead of paying for their lunches. They got a rocket from me!

Another generalisation, my grandchildren now late teens/20s don’t eat fast food, learning how to cook properly before going to uni. Visiting my granddaughter, I was impressed at the amount of fresh vegs she bought at her local supermarket.

Meanwhile, the facts:

In 1980, 8% of women and 6% of men in England were obese.
In 1974 8% of children were overweight.

In 2022 to 2023 26.2% of adults were estimated to be living with obesity.
27% of children are now overweight.

Sauces: UCL, BMJ & NAO.

What's your explanation for this crisis?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry but that’s a desperately misinformed view. These drugs are legitimately on sale online and that’s how the majority are purchased as the NHS is able to fund only chronically obese patients.
Happy to stand correct.

Would you mind sending me a link?

And I was specifically referring to injectables.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In addition, according to the BHF Wegovy is (it seems to me) not legally available online. Read here:

And yet, as you correctly state, it is available online.

Well....your call, and very best wishes.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I know there's a general weight loss thread somewhere but I'm particularly interested in whether anyone has had experience of weight loss jabs like Mounjaro, Ozempic, Wegovy etc?

My wife's sister started using Mounjaro about a month ago and says it's done her a lot of good by reducing her appetite. She's lost about 10ibs in a month. I've struggled with my weight for decades. It's not a critical problem but now that I'm into my late 60s I'm much more conscious of the health risks. I've tried all the usual diets/eating regimes and they always work for a while then tail off and my motivation drops. I could do with losing about 35lbs. I do exercise regularly (if moderately) but would like some extra help. I've read a lot about the weight loss jabs which at first I dismissed as gimmicky but it seems they really can work. Though reading Facebook groups, Reddit etc it seems that success is a bit patchy.

I wouldn't be eligible for NHS assistance, I don't think, so I'm looking at about £130-£150 a month. So before I shell out, I was just curious about whether the NSC hive mind has an opinion, preferably based on actual experience.

If I can say this as politely as possible, I'd really appreciate not being told to just eat less and exercise more. Been there, done that, with some success but not enough. Thank you.
I am Mrs Punal. I have been on Mounjaro since April and have lost almost four stone. The biggest thing for me besides the loss in lbs is how my self esteem has risen. I am seventy and needed like you to do something and was totally overwhelmed by the amount I needed to lose. Some things you need to be aware of: There are side effects and a typical one is feeling sick. Luckily I haven’t really suffered from any but do know some people have needed to give up because it was so bad.
To start with you would be on a low dose which you inject weekly for four weeks. The next four week cycle the dose increases and this carries on until you are on the highest dose. Lucky you if you can get it so cheap. Beware of unscrupulous people selling online. I am now on the highest dose and it costs me £250 a month. To me worth every penny. Not sure how differently it might affect a male but if you can afford to do it and feel it would set you on the right path go for it. Hope this helps.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I'm based in the US, where it's been used for a while.

Anyone I know who has used it with exercise and healthy eating has got excellent results. A friend dropped 40 lbs in a few months. Side effects seem to depend on the person. As you increase the dosage week by week, side effects like nausea and constipation seem to grow. One work colleague had to give up right away.

I know people who eat healthy and exercise regularly and just can't lose weight. Whilst there shouldn't be a magic pill, I think it has a positive effect on helping people drop some weight to a healthy range.

Out of curiosity, I tried the lowest dosage of semaglutide (ozempic) for 5 weeks and dropped around 10lbs with slightly less exercise. I didn't get any side effects, but it killed my appetite. My BMI is in the range, I'm 5"11, 11.5 stone, and I run around 30 miles per week. This stuff definitely works!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am Mrs Punal. I have been on Mounjaro since April and have lost almost four stone. The biggest thing for me besides the loss in lbs is how my self esteem has risen. I am seventy and needed like you to do something and was totally overwhelmed by the amount I needed to lose. Some things you need to be aware of: There are side effects and a typical one is feeling sick. Luckily I haven’t really suffered from any but do know some people have needed to give up because it was so bad.
To start with you would be on a low dose which you inject weekly for four weeks. The next four week cycle the dose increases and this carries on until you are on the highest dose. Lucky you if you can get it so cheap. Beware of unscrupulous people selling online. I am now on the highest dose and it costs me £250 a month. To me worth every penny. Not sure how differently it might affect a male but if you can afford to do it and feel it would set you on the right path go for it. Hope this helps.

Mrs.Punal … is the main result that you just don’t get hungry, as a result meals are much smaller?

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
No. Boots and Asda in the UK can sell only substances that are approved as 'over the counter' non prescription items, and most of these are either long established things like aspirin, or are classed as dietary supplements, not medicines.

Without checking I am not sure how these weight loss items are classed. If they are injectables they they will definitely not be on legal sale over the internet.

Boots and Superdrug are allowed to sell these despite them being prescription deugs but you have to go through their healthcare/nursing teams. You can’t just buy it like over the counter stuff.

I initially (last year) looked at getting it via Superdrug and had to go through a medical questionnaire and upload photos of myself, that was then sent off to a medical person to assess. They actually refused at that time due to my heart condition but since I have had treatment, I am now allowed to take it.

I think chemists are also allowed to issue some prescription drugs without going to the GP first, they gave me medicine when I went in with a health issue and the drugs were ones that needed a prescription but they issued it.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
In addition, according to the BHF Wegovy is (it seems to me) not legally available online. Read here:

And yet, as you correctly state, it is available online.

Well....your call, and very best wishes.

That is wrong

Unless you really think Boots and Superdrug are going to sell illegal drugs?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is wrong

Unless you really think Boots and Superdrug are going to sell illegal drugs?
No, you are quite correct.

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
I always assumed that with the online purchase of prescription only drugs you are paying for the prescription to be written and then of course, the cost of the drugs.

It certainly looks like this is the case with Asda/Boots et al.

P.S I have been on Mounjaro since 22nd Sept and in that time I have lost 9KG. I was offered it by the diabetic nurse as my levels have remained pretty static the last couple of years (including weight unfortunately) despite plenty of demonstrable lifestyle changes (diet, smoking, booze, weaning myself off of long-term prescribed opiate based medicines for my back)

I have a phobia of needles but these things are so tiny they don't register. I haven't had any serious side effects (dodgy guts and a headache on the evening of the jab) and can't stress enough the importance of plenty of water.

It's strange how it works as sometimes you just don't want to eat and it really does remove food noise.

If any of you are looking to buy it online, I suggest you read about "the 5th dose". Someone I know who gets it privately is a huge advocate (and frugal) as it gets the most value.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Meanwhile, the facts:

In 1980, 8% of women and 6% of men in England were obese.
In 1974 8% of children were overweight.

In 2022 to 2023 26.2% of adults were estimated to be living with obesity.
27% of children are now overweight.

Sauces: UCL, BMJ & NAO.

What's your explanation for this crisis?
Unregulated food production. Bread full of sugar, emulsifiers and additives, see cereals, cakes, biscuits, tinned baked beans, tinned fruit etc etc
Not to mention, fruit squashes, pop, beer all full of chemicals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here