Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Weight loss jabs - Mounjaro, Wegovy etc.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I’d suggest OP looks at Glucomannan first. That’s where I am currently and it definitely helps suppress appetite without the side effects.

If that’s not enough then maybe reconsider the jabs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When I was a kid in the 70s we never had "snacks" just 3 meals a day. I can't help but feel the snack, grazing culture has been our (my) downfall...
Packets of crisps, an ice cream when the van came round, and Mars bars. Not forgetting the bag of chips with bits.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
It will be interesting to hear the BDA (British Dietetic Association) view on these and particularly in response to the Government plans to introduce further trials on the drugs' effect on obesity and 'worklessness'. It's still very early.

They are certainly a cash cow in more ways than one, both with the Lilly investment / sweetener of £280 million and further trialling them in the UK and, as has been mentioned, any reliance on them longterm to maintain weight loss, which is likely to be put back on if or when ending treatment.

There are many areas of so called expertise around the subject of 'weight loss' and not all may be in agreement or trusted, particularly when combined with such huge investment.

As caution, from the BDA, 'having thousands, if not millions of followers on social media is not a reflection on knowledge or expertise, especially where nutrition is concerned.'

Last edited:

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
Personally I’d only go for these drugs as an absolute last resort. ‘Cheating’ or masking the body’s systems with pharmaceuticals is inherently unnatural, so should only be if it’s, well, almost critical really. Like your weight is impacting your health, longevity chances etc.

I know it’s super-patronising to hear, but ultimately a calorie deficit (using more calories through exercise than you consume through food) and a diet based around healthy foodstuffs is the best solution to losing weight in a controlled, natural way.
These drugs work only in conjunction with calorie-restricted diets and exercise regimes. They make it easier to stick to such programmes.

Sounds like it basically helps calorie intake reduction……..a sort of synthetic willpower ?
In effect, yes. They are GLP1 agonists which means they reproduce the hormone (GLP1) that’s naturally released after eating, and which gives the feeling of having eaten enough. People with weight problems typically don't naturally release as much GLP1 as others, leading to overeating.

I’d suggest OP looks at Glucomannan first. That’s where I am currently and it definitely helps suppress appetite without the side effects.

If that’s not enough then maybe reconsider the jabs.
Thanks but I’ve pretty much decided to go down the jabs route.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
These drugs work only in conjunction with calorie-restricted diets and exercise regimes.

In effect, yes. They are GLP1 agonists which means they reproduce the hormone (GLP1) that’s naturally released after eating, and which gives the sensation of satiety ie the feeling of having eaten enough. People with weight problems typically don't naturally release as much GLP1 as others, leading to overeating.

Thanks but I’ve pretty much decided to go down the jabs route.
Tks, I’ve got a pretty simplistic view of weight loss - burn more calories than you take in and the vast majority of people will lose weight (I was 18st in my early 30s, now around 12st). That said, my weight more or less plateaued years ago despite a lot of running (60+ mpw), because I eat too much crap (and too much full stop). I‘m now running much less so have to eat less…….you can’t outrun a bad diet 🤣

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
Tks, I’ve got a pretty simplistic view of weight loss - burn more calories than you take in and the vast majority of people will lose weight (I was 18st in my early 30s, now around 12st). That said, my weight more or less plateaued years ago despite a lot of running (60+ mpw), because I eat too much crap (and too much full stop). I‘m now running much less so have to eat less…….you can’t outrun a bad diet 🤣
It’s a perfectly sensible view but how it’s best implemented will vary. The important thing is to find what works for you. When I was a runner I used to read the great doctor-philosopher-runner Dr George Sheehan. One of his maxims, an appeal against over-prescriptive training advice, was "Every athlete is an experiment of one".

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I’m 2 weeks into my first dose of Mounjaro, my appetite is suppressed massively, I just don’t get hungry now, lost about 1/2 a stone in two weeks and no side effects at all, whether that changes as the dosage is increased remains to be seen.
It wont be for everyone but for me it’s brilliant.
I’ve struggled with weight gain since I retired from playing rugby, and with a broken body after 35 years of playing I’ve struggled to lose the timber despite swimming everyday.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
I’m 2 weeks into my first dose of Mounjaro, my appetite is suppressed massively, I just don’t get hungry now, lost about 1/2 a stone in two weeks and no side effects at all, whether that changes as the dosage is increased remains to be seen.
It wont be for everyone but for me it’s brilliant.
I’ve struggled with weight gain since I retired from playing rugby, and with a broken body after 35 years of playing I’ve struggled to lose the timber despite swimming everyday.
Great news, and exactly what I was hoping to hear. After doing plenty of research, I’ve just about decided to join you. I'm likely to order today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s a perfectly sensible view but how it’s best implemented will vary. The important thing is to find what works for you. When I was a runner I used to read the great doctor-philosopher-runner Dr George Sheehan. One of his maxims, an appeal against over-prescriptive training advice, was "Every athlete is an experiment of one".
….ain’t that the truth. Nothing worse than other runners pontificating to you about what you should/shouldn’t do…….

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
“What happens when you stop taking it?” - the answer depends on you, if you go back to eating what you did before to get to the state of being overweight, you’ll get overweight again.

This is the same for any “diet” and I don’t know why people don’t get it?

The answer with this and with any diet is to lose the weight (jabs, keto, whatever) and then to change your lifestyle again into a new - whatever is sustainable for you state that means you control it.

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024

To lose weight it is about creating a calorie deficit. Personally, exercising at the same time helps, although this can in itslef make you hungrier.

The key is ensuring the food you are eating minimises blood sugar spikes i.e. sufficient protein, fibre, etc which reduces hunger pangs while you are losing weight.

Long term it really is about a healthy balanced diet. Part of the challenge is that everyone is different, so what works for some in satisfying appetite causes spikes for others. Has been trial and error for me to get a feel for what keeps me feeling full and what doesn't.

(I would add that I still enjoy a pie and a pint or two at the Amex and have cheat days when I feel like eating what I want. Again for me personally, it's not about denying yourself things you like, just not doing it every day and having things that are less healthy in moderation. I think starving yourself of the fun stuff is counter productive.)

In effect, you find foods that do suppress your appetite naturally, which I guess is what these drugs are trying to emulate.

Edit: This is a great book to help understand how the type of food you eat impacts your appetite and body. Some science based, some from years of treating obesity in his patients and some theory / pseudo science, but useful if you find understanding the "mechanics" of how things work helps you then fix or maintain them.

Screenshot_2024-10-22-07-37-49-234_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
When I was a kid in the 70s we never had "snacks" just 3 meals a day. I can't help but feel the snack, grazing culture has been our (my) downfall...

When they just become eating habits because we get a habit of eating something at an event or regular thing in our lives. You must recognize those eating events and cut out the eating part or substitute healthier foods.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know 3 people who have taken these drugs. All 3 have had had amazing results. One had some side effects, the other two didn't. All 3 purchased on the internet.

I realise that goes against pretty much everything said in the thread so far, but that is my experience of it.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I view these drugs rather like antidepressants. They do work on their own but work best in combination with other (usually lifestyle changing) therapy. The best outcomes will involve not using them and having a sensible body mass, diet and lifestyle. In T2DM management it does seem to offer good theraputic benefits, but that should be better managed than self-administration. More, longer term data needed as HWT says.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
I view these drugs rather like antidepressants. They do work on their own but work best in combination with other (usually lifestyle changing) therapy. The best outcomes will involve not using them and having a sensible body mass, diet and lifestyle. In T2DM management it does seem to offer good theraputic benefits, but that should be better managed than self-administration. More, longer term data needed as HWT says.
They must be used alongside a healthier eating and exercise regime. That’s the whole point. Unfortunately some people will see the headlines and think these are miracle drugs that allow you to eat what you want while losing weight. That’s absolutely not the case. They reduce appetite so in fact the opposite is just as likely — that some people actually won’t eat enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here