Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Weight loss jabs - Mounjaro, Wegovy etc.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I am on Wegovy. I only started it in August and am still in the early doses which can be for some people less effective, I have found that but have still lost a stone so far so am equally pretty pleased.

No major side effect and I don’t keep the best of health in general so I was pleased about that as knock on effects were something I was worried about.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
They're a sticking plaster and unless the individual changes their lifestyle you're gonna need a lot of plasters.

Maybe for extreme cases these are a good idea with strict rules but giving them out like sweets is a bad really idea, I think Streeting gets this.

Nobody is giving them out like sweets. I had to go through a consultation with the BUPA doctor, you have to show you are a certain BMI (including uploading pics etc so they know you are not lying).

It’s also the case that most people need to go private for it. Few people are getting it via the NHS, I was easily eligible via weight and health conditions but still don’t fit their criteria.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
I’m 2 weeks into my first dose of Mounjaro, my appetite is suppressed massively, I just don’t get hungry now, lost about 1/2 a stone in two weeks and no side effects at all, whether that changes as the dosage is increased remains to be seen.
It wont be for everyone but for me it’s brilliant.
I’ve struggled with weight gain since I retired from playing rugby, and with a broken body after 35 years of playing I’ve struggled to lose the timber despite swimming everyday.
Question pls - Aren’t they meant to be weekly? Also where do you buy from? Maybe @Commander can advise a couple of sites too?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Question pls - Aren’t they meant to be weekly? Also where do you buy from? Maybe @Commander can advise a couple of sites too?
Yeah you get a months supply of weekly injections, each month the dosage increases.
I got mine from medexpress, lots of questions to answer before it goes to their gp to perscribe
Good service though, and lots of follow up guidance.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
Mounjaro is weekly. I think the previous generation (Wegovy, Ozempic etc) were/are daily but that seems like a faff. There are plenty of reputable outlets including Boots and Asda. MedExpress was mentioned. I’m going to use Simple Online Pharmacy because my sister in law used them and recommends them. The price also seems lower than most. £130 for a month's supply (using their £10 off voucher code).

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am thinking of trying mounjaro but it is expensive out here, twice the price. I am hoping it suppresses alcohol as well as food intake, anyone know? I know everyone mentions that once you stop you can put the weight back on but surely your stomach has shrunk considerably and you need to continue whatever you were doing whilst on the injection to keep it that way. Although this will involve will power...

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I'm on Mounjaro and have used it for about 4 months now, 10KG (22lb) down with very little side effects. I suffer from food noise which I assume is like a smoker craving a cigarette, on Mounjaro I simply don't have the urge to snack or over eat - as an example I would finish off the kids' dinner after eating my own. It's such a great feeling to know I'm finally in control of my food, I intend to wean off it soon as I'm a person of habit - now I've broken the habit of over eating theoretically I should be able to maintain it. I exercise 4-5 times a week as well so I'm not sedentary!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I am thinking of trying mounjaro but it is expensive out here, twice the price. I am hoping it suppresses alcohol as well as food intake, anyone know? I know everyone mentions that once you stop you can put the weight back on but surely your stomach has shrunk considerably and you need to continue whatever you were doing whilst on the injection to keep it that way. Although this will involve will power...
I barely drink now on Mounjaro, I just don't fancy a beer.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
It’s worth checking the Mounjaro subforum on Reddit. If you search for alcohol you’ll find a lot of discussion. In a nutshell, most people say they’ve lost interest in drinking, either going from excessive to a small amount, or from a small amount to zero. But some people do report that it’s had no impact on drinking so it’s dependent on the individual. A lot of people report a reduction in obsessive/addictive behaviour generally, whether that’s drinking, drug-taking and even gambling according to one person who previously had a problem. Again, none of this means that you will be the same. Just depends on the individual. I’m certainly interested in this aspect as I drink too much. Not alcohol-dependent as I always have a couple of days off per week without missing it but I still think I drink too much, and will be interested to see if my desire to drink wine most evenings remains or diminishes.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It’s worth checking the Mounjaro subforum on Reddit. If you search for alcohol you’ll find a lot of discussion. In a nutshell, most people say they’ve lost interest in drinking, either going from excessive to a small amount, or from a small amount to zero. But some people do report that it’s had no impact on drinking so it’s dependent on the individual. A lot of people report a reduction in obsessive/addictive behaviour generally, whether that’s drinking, drug-taking and even gambling according to one person who previously had a problem. Again, none of this means that you will be the same. Just depends on the individual. I’m certainly interested in this aspect as I drink too much. Not alcohol-dependent as I always have a couple of days off per week without missing it but I still think I drink too much, and will be interested to see if my desire to drink wine most evenings remains or diminishes.
I drink too much but that's partially out of boredom. I live abroad and family at in UK and there not much to do in the week here. I don't want to stop drinking and only need to due to the belly and double chin. I have had many blood tests and biopsies over the last 5 years and know that I am pretty healthy, surprisingly to at least my wife! I would be happy if the urge was supposed but that will mean staying in every evening on my own, so not great!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The fact that there is a shortage of these meds for the people they are meant for and need them because some people can’t get off the couch, tells us all we need to know about the drug, its manufacturers, and their objectives.
Is one angle.

What about obese folk that have let themselves go and can't now get off the couch. If semaglutide helps then shed 20% of their weight that then enables them to get off the couch, is that not a good thing?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know 3 people who have taken these drugs. All 3 have had had amazing results. One had some side effects, the other two didn't. All 3 purchased on the internet.

I realise that goes against pretty much everything said in the thread so far, but that is my experience of it.
I worry hugely when I read about people buying meds off the internet.

I was asked recently to consult for 'Dr Xand' and his TV programme about drug safety. I rather confused them when I pointed out that the two cases filmed (both about people having unexpected adverse effects) were not the same. The one where a person got a bit ill was over a prescription drug, prescribed by a doctor. The one where the person ended up losing a kidney was over some shit they bought on the internet. The programme makers were attempting to conflate the two issues and seem to have been befuddled by my response.

I would urge against buying any meds. let alone injectables, over the internet. The immediate effects my be lovely, but over the following weeks and months you have no idea....

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

I was asked recently to consult for 'Dr Xand' and his TV programme about drug safety. I rather confused them when I pointed out that the two cases filmed (both about people having unexpected adverse effects) were not the same. The one where a person got a bit ill was over a prescription drug, prescribed by a doctor. The one where the person ended up losing a kidney was over some shit they bought on the internet. The programme makers were attempting to conflate the two issues and seem to have been befuddled by my response.

I would urge against buying any meds. let alone injectables, over the internet. The immediate effects my be lovely, but over the following weeks and months you have no idea....
From any Internet outlet including legit companies such as Boots or Asda?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From any Internet outlet including legit companies such as Boots or Asda?
No. Boots and Asda in the UK can sell only substances that are approved as 'over the counter' non prescription items, and most of these are either long established things like aspirin, or are classed as dietary supplements, not medicines.

Without checking I am not sure how these weight loss items are classed. If they are injectables they they will definitely not be on legal sale over the internet.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
1729604473700.png

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My husband has lost a lot of weight over the last couple of years. His doctor told him he had high blood pressure and high cholesterol, the doctor offered him pills, but he wanted to try diet change before "popping pills". He has always been a big chap as in a rugby players build, but not what I thought was fat. He does not drink alcohol at home very often and if he does it is it not fizzy lager, sometimes Guinness or a glass of whine.

What he did, was to stop eating sugary snacks and crisps. He is a vegetarian anyway and just eats reasonable portions of food when he has his dinner. He does not go hungry. It was not a diet but a life style change and he slowly lost over 3 Stone. He now has good blood pressure and good cholesterol levels.

Much to our daughters stress there are no sweets, chocolate or biscuits in the house when she comes home to visit. I have to remember to go and get some

He said he stopped craving sugary thing after about a month and as long he doesn't have anything sugary he does not miss them. I am very proud of him

I think a lots of people lose a lot of weight on a diet, which is good, but then put it all back on once they stop. If these jabs help people get started and motivated then they are a good thing, but they will have to have the willpower to change their diet forever otherwise it will not work long term

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tks, I’ve got a pretty simplistic view of weight loss - burn more calories than you take in and the vast majority of people will lose weight (I was 18st in my early 30s, now around 12st). That said, my weight more or less plateaued years ago despite a lot of running (60+ mpw), because I eat too much crap (and too much full stop). I‘m now running much less so have to eat less…….you can’t outrun a bad diet 🤣

Exactly.

Diet as in calorific intake is everything. To lose weight, people have to go through the discomfort/anguish of days/weeks/months where intake is lower energy spent. Of likely feeling 'hungry' and not addressing that with food. There are no shortcuts.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Yeah I'm not saying it is a good idea! Just that I know 3 people that have done it and all had excellent results.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
After giving up smoking over nine years ago, my weight increased until this year I topped out at over 20 stone. The cravings for food are worse than any I experienced with smoking. Mountjaro has seen me lose four stone in just over five months, with the dose increasing for the first couple of months...but I find 7.5mg gives a steady and sustainable weight loss. i shop around each month for the best deals.
Sides effects have been mild, a bit of a belly ache....like trapped wind and mild constipation. The extra energy and manoeuvrability I have outweigh that. Downside is none of my clothes fit!
As I get near my goal weight I know I'll have to manage my food intake, but with my wife doing slimming world, there are some fantastic new recipes to try without resorting to processed junk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here