Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you want. One senior player’s entitlement is enough for me.

Swanny was having a dig at England fans and how we think our players (like Owen) are great and would win us the world cup, when actually the players aren't that good.

A player having belief in himself and his team is not really relevant to that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Swanny was having a dig at England fans and how we think our players (like Owen) are great and would win us the world cup, when actually the players aren't that good.

Self belief, and saying you deserve to win a trophy are two very different propositions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Real Madrid dropped David Beckham in his final season at the club after losing seven of the first nine games where he started. Thats why they dropped him

WTF? Please provide the evidence that they lost 7 out of the first 9 games he started, because that sounds like more made up bullshit.

I was confident you'd got it completely wrong, so you've posted a link to confirm my suspicions :shrug:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
If Denmark had beaten Serbia, we wouldn't have won our group. You are simply wrong to say that it was Southgate's tactics that won it, with no help from Denmark.
another way to look at it is.....because we won our 1st match and Denmark only drew, a draw between us and Denmark meant they would have to win to top the group whereas we only needed a draw. It was always in our hands, so respectfully, I think you are simply wrong

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

who would you say were better strikers at International level, in Europe around the same time, say, the mid 00's ?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
1729192010979.png

New England kit

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
This rivalry only exists from England's side. I know numerous German football fans, none of them feel any sense of rivalry at all; they save this for The Nederlands. To me, this England Germany thing feels weird as I know that it's so one sided, tin pot even; you cannot have a rivalry if one side does not give two hoots.
A bit like Scottish fans with us

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
This rivalry only exists from England's side. I know numerous German football fans, none of them feel any sense of rivalry at all; they save this for The Nederlands. To me, this England Germany thing feels weird as I know that it's so one sided, tin pot even; you cannot have a rivalry if one side does not give two hoots.
You'd think Germany's main rivals would be Russia
For historical reasons
Berlin and all that

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
slight misrepresentation of what I said, i'm not merely cherry picking specific games, I am saying I only consider performances at tournaments disregarding qualifying. I don't see how, post poor tournament and assesing what went wrong, how we qualified for said tournament bears any relevance.

Seems like you are an ardent stats man but you can use / twist stats to prove anything. how about: England's best strikers of recent times are David Nugent and Francis Jeffers as they both have 100% scoring records, or how about Joe Calzaghe was a better boxer than Ali and Tyson, he never lost whereas the other 2 lost 5/6 of their bouts
You highlighted that 2010 tournament. Whilst the exit against Germany wasn't good, we didn't lose a group game in it and qualified.

Compare that with the previous 2008 tournament with an English manager in McClaren in which we weren't even good enough to get there.

And then compare that shambles with the previous 3 tournaments in which we reached the QF stage under a foreign manager in Eriksson.

In the original post, I mentioned that I'd excluded caretaker managers and one hit wonders like Allardyce as it wouldn't be a fair comparison with one game managers or one game players like Nugent and Jeffers. As for bringing boxing into the conversation, I'm not sure that's helpful at all as there are so many other factors involved like weight categories, etc.

I'm no more a stats man than is needed to argue against what I consider to be falsehoods based on subjective opinions rather than data.

So having shown you the evidence that the only 2 previous foreign managers in Eriksson and Capello were much more successful both with tournament progression and win percentage respectively during those 2 decades than their English equivalent, would you consider revising your belief that the foreign manager experiment was a failure?

Or will you continue to consciously choose an alternate reality that doesn't allow itself to be troubled with the inconvenience of objective data?

If it's the latter, I'll admit there's probably very little else I can do to convince you. :)

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I am no fan but he cannot be as tactitally changed as Southgate was when we came within a whisker of winning two titles that were there for the taking with a tactically asute manager.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
another way to look at it is.....because we won our 1st match and Denmark only drew, a draw between us and Denmark meant they would have to win to top the group whereas we only needed a draw. It was always in our hands, so respectfully, I think you are simply wrong

Going into our final game it was in our hands. Failing to win that, meant that it wasn't. Our game finished before Denmark's. If Denmark had scored, we'd have finished 2nd in our group. We couldn't have done anything about it, so at the point, it was out of our hands.

But we're going over old ground here. You thought Southgate was a great England manager, whereas most fans thought he wasn't good enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
who would you say were better strikers at International level, in Europe around the same time, say, the mid 00's ?
I think you're asking the wrong person. It's Han Solo who was saying Owen wasn't good enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You'd think Germany's main rivals would be Russia
For historical reasons
Berlin and all that
Can’t say I’ve ever thought this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here