Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me, it’s not a matter of whether Eriksson, Capello, or Tuchel are/were better coaches than the available English ones. They almost certainly are/were. And it certainly doesn’t matter that Tuchel is German. I love Germany, and like nearly all Germans I meet.

My position is that, certainly at the higher levels of football, international competition is all about comparing what your country can produce against what another country can produce. For me, this means players and lead coaches. If we don’t have better coaches in England than are found in Germany and Spain, we should be asking why that is. In fact we should have been asking that back in 2001 when we appointed Sven, and the issue should have been solved or at least massively improved long before now. But the issue wasn’t solved, and we deserve to continue with substandard English coaches until it is.

It’s permissible to have a 'foreign' coach so it’s nothing to do with breaking rules. It’s more going against the spirit of international competition, certainly as I see it anyway.

All that said, the decision has been made and we should all respect it and move on. I hope Tuchel succeeds but I also hope that something major is being worked on at the FA to improve the dire coaching situation in this country. I’m not holding my breath!
Elegantly put. Agree with 110% of that :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Here's a FACT for you.

Of the last 39 World Cups and European Championship tournaments, 38 have been won by a manager managing his own country. The single exception was when Greece won Euro 2004 with Otto Rehhagel, a German in charge. They then went on to fail to qualify for the next World Cup, and have failed to beat a "top 6" nation in any game since then until...(checks notes)...England, last week.

I think its PATHETIC that England have (once again) brought in another ringer. Something that Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Brazil or Argentina have NEVER resorted to. Not once.

I saw an idea floated in the press today that there should be a new FIFA rule. If you've won the World Cup, you can't employ a foreign manager. If you've been the champions of your continent, you can't employ a foreign manager. If your nation has spent the last 10 years inside FIFA's top 100 (England have never been lower than 27th), then you cannot employ a foreign manager.

Leave it for the developing nations, or the Scotch, to bring in a ringer. The likes of England employing an overseas boss ? EMBARRASING.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Here's a FACT for you.

Of the last 39 World Cups and European Championship tournaments, 38 have been won by a manager managing his own country. The single exception was when Greece won Euro 2004 with Otto Rehhagel, a German in charge. They then went on to fail to qualify for the next World Cup, and have failed to beat a "top 6" nation in any game since then until...(checks notes)...England, last week.
This sounds like an outstanding argument for a) having a German manager, and b) not having an English manager.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As per the video posted above, Howe wasn’t even spoken to.
We all know how it works, his agent/club would have been sounded out before being asked for an interview.

More importantly Neville knows how it works and is being fake outraged

So you think he would be as annoyed if it was Pep? No

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm not at all outraged by it, but I think the manager should be English.

I think Frank Lampard would have been a good choice. International management is not a heavy tactical game. The managers don't have players long enough. Many have succeeded without impressive CVs. The current Argentine and Spanish managers are the finest examples.

A manager needs to be liked with the players, know the best line up and whether they will work together, and be able to set out a simple game plan that works for them. I was more than happy that Lampard was capable of doing that. I can't see how Tuchel would be any better. Anyway, he's here, and I wish him all the best.

Frank Lampard? I think he did well at Everton given what was going on at the time.... but come on.

Tuchel took Lampards struggling side and won the CL so there is proof at club level at least he's a better manager.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
For me, it’s not a matter of whether Eriksson, Capello, or Tuchel are/were better coaches than the available English ones. They almost certainly are/were. And it certainly doesn’t matter that Tuchel is German. I love Germany, and like nearly all Germans I meet.

My position is that, certainly at the higher levels of football, international competition is all about comparing what your country can produce against what another country can produce. For me, this means players and lead coaches. If we don’t have better coaches in England than are found in Germany and Spain, we should be asking why that is. In fact we should have been asking that back in 2001 when we appointed Sven, and the issue should have been solved or at least massively improved long before now. But the issue wasn’t solved, and we deserve to continue with substandard English coaches until it is.

It’s permissible to have a 'foreign' coach so it’s nothing to do with breaking rules. It’s more going against the spirit of international competition, certainly as I see it anyway.

All that said, the decision has been made and we should all respect it and move on. I hope Tuchel succeeds but I also hope that something major is being worked on at the FA to improve the dire coaching situation in this country. I’m not holding my breath!
I agree with nearly all of this, I just have issues with the first 2 Foreign managers looking back at what they brought to the table. If I recall, when Keegan threw the towel in and said he wasn't up to it, the FA felt we were tactically naive, technically deficient and falling behind on the international stage so went for a foreign boss to change that. The metric was whenever we faced a top nation in the knock phase of a tourament we always came up short. Eriksen did not fulfill that brief as that never changed (2002 - Brazil / 2004 - Portugal / 2006 - Portugal). If anything he took us backwards, the margins are even finer in International football and I could list many errors/gaffes that were the difference in winning and losing i.e. Shoehorning Beckham / pushing Scholes out to the left (and into retirement), picking Walcott who never played a minute for his club (and not even playing him), Gerrard/Lampard in a flat 4-4-2 never worked and he never changed it /picking injured players - Rooney 2006 (wound up/sent off) / bringing on Carragher to take a penalty (who then missed) etc etc. I challenge you to name 1 positive to counter balance this (i'll wait). As for Crapello, he wasn't cut out for this role, he didn't tick any box, he hadn't managed at International level, hadn't managed in England, couldn't speak English, and so the inevitable train crash ensued with the keystone cops display v Algeria folowed by the Germany 1-4 humiliation. The only man to break the cycle was Southgate who made us respectable on the big stage and a team to be feared. I have nothing them personally it's the FA I blame as they rarely pick the right person, they were lucky with Southgate and is why on this basis I think Tuchel will also be a massive failure, as the FA's track record is abysmal

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Happy to be fixtured.... I haven't read the whole thread... but this popped up on FB

463669103_557270223645029_951544991566861330_n.jpg

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Happy to be fixtured.... I haven't read the whole thread... but this popped up on FB

View attachment 190640

Other people in other countries (calling Han Solo) may deride us for this but I'm really not that bothered * shock horror *. It's like being bothered when people not from Brighton complain about the atmosphere, ok thanks for your input but who cares what you think?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I agree with nearly all of this, I just have issues with the first 2 Foreign managers looking back at what they brought to the table. If I recall, when Keegan threw the towel in and said he wasn't up to it, the FA felt we were tactically naive, technically deficient and falling behind on the international stage so went for a foreign boss to change that. The metric was whenever we faced a top nation in the knock phase of a tourament we always came up short. Eriksen did not fulfill that brief as that never changed (2002 - Brazil / 2004 - Portugal / 2006 - Portugal). If anything he took us backwards, the margins are even finer in International football and I could list many errors/gaffes that were the difference in winning and losing i.e. Shoehorning Beckham / pushing Scholes out to the left (and into retirement), picking Walcott who never played a minute for his club (and not even playing him), Gerrard/Lampard in a flat 4-4-2 never worked and he never changed it /picking injured players - Rooney 2006 (wound up/sent off) / bringing on Carragher to take a penalty (who then missed) etc etc. I challenge you to name 1 positive to counter balance this (i'll wait). As for Crapello, he wasn't cut out for this role, he didn't tick any box, he hadn't managed at International level, hadn't managed in England, couldn't speak English, and so the inevitable train crash ensued with the keystone cops display v Algeria folowed by the Germany 1-4 humiliation. The only man to break the cycle was Southgate who made us respectable on the big stage and a team to be feared. I have nothing them personally it's the FA I blame as they rarely pick the right person, they were lucky with Southgate and is why on this basis I think Tuchel will also be a massive failure, as the FA's track record is abysmal
Southgate feared? Really? Predictable … he made us predictable.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Other people in other countries (calling Han Solo) may deride us for this but I'm really not that bothered * shock horror *. It's like being bothered when people not from Brighton complain about the atmosphere, ok thanks for your input but who cares what you think?
The fact that it's stuck in your head and you posted it here means you kind of do care....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here