Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Each to their own. Personally, I find that I learn loads from people who have different life experiences than me. That you don't, explains a lot...
Wow that’s quite an assumption out of nowhere.

My point was you don’t care much about England unless they are in a tournament, glory hunting basically.

I’d rather be influenced by the opinion of someone who is a proper fan.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I disagree. Sarah Weigman won the Euros with England and I didn't see anyone complaining about her nationality afterwards.
You're comparing the mens game to the womens though. They're almost different sports, with entirely different histories and a largely different following.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Wow that’s quite an assumption out of nowhere.

My point was you don’t care much about England unless they are in a tournament, glory hunting basically.

I’d rather be influenced by the opinion of someone who is a proper fan.
Never heard that said out loud before.....supporting England and glory hunting!:lolol:

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
IMO An international manager needs to be successful in finding a system and process to fit the players.
Club managers however need to find players to fit a chosen system and process.
If that argument holds water. GP may have been a good option. And TT should stick to club management.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Raises a good question, what would piss off more people, a German or Scotch England manager?

I would have loved Fergie to manage us. I'd have written in his contract that he'd get the week off if we were ever drawn against Scotland.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
IMO An international manager needs to be successful in finding a system and process to fit the players.
If that argument holds water. GP may have been a good option. And TT should stick to club management.
TT can control the ego’s GP had real problems trying to.
I’m not an England fan although you could see Bellingham was becoming a handful for Southgate during the Euro’s. Potter wouldn’t stand a chance unless he has totally changed his persona during his time off which I doubt.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only take an interest in International football in last 16 of Euros and World Cup so dont care a hoot who is the manager.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
TT can control the ego’s GP had real problems trying to.
I’m not an England fan although you could see Bellingham was becoming a handful for Southgate during the Euro’s. Potter wouldn’t stand a chance unless he has totally changed his persona during his time off which I doubt.
I see your point.
Got me thinking who runs the ship at this level nowadays?
Player told to play slightly out of position from club role = problem.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
England have over achieved lately, we have a few solid and flair attacking options, but if the truth be known, we are or have not been solid through the core of the squad, yes we can beat any team in the world when we play to our strengths, but we can also be beat by any team in the world.
England choked under the waistcoatwanker. I think we underachieved.
Imho FIFA should change the rules and not allow foreign managers in national teams because it really makes no sense.
Harsh on emerging nations that.
One thing that irks me more than it should is Tommy’s barnet…either go to Turkey or shave it off before the next international
Get the clippers out. Pronto.
The last Englishman to win a domestic trophy was Harry Redknapp in 2008.

3 of the 4 British managers in the PL are in the bottom 5.

Literally no good, qualified candidates out there
That's it.
You are better than that matey.
Tuchel is such a ****
He's our **** now. :lolol:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I base my opinion of capello on his 1 tournament record, which was one of, if not the worse tournament performances of my lifetime. So therefore he is one of the worse England managers. The fact we clocked up wins against Azerbaijan, Macedonia and other non entities in qualifying is not a counter balance, it's completely meaningless.

The foreign manager experiment is a failed one, why on earth the FA think it's a good idea to go down this route again is beyond stupid
If you're going to base your opinion on just the 4 games of one tournament and not consider the other 38 of the 42 games that Capello took charge of, then I'd politely suggest that that you're picking and choosing to fit your argument.

But I'll play along. Seeing as it's Germany we eventually went out to in that 2010 tournament, let's use that country with another of England's foreign managers. Having seen the Albion lose at Sixfields the night before, I was there in Munich and witnessed England's 1-5 win firsthand. So using your style of argument, I'm just going to pick one game to say that Sven was our greatest ever manager because it was probably our greatest ever away win and especially the context in which we did it. What do you mean when you say that's unrealistic to ignore the other 66 games that Sven took charge of? That doesn't matter - I'm just going to pick the one I like the most to fit. :)

Now I don't know how long your lifetime has been, but as disappointing as 2010's exit was despite not losing a group game, it wasn't the worst.
In the 20 years and 10 tournaments after Euro 96 and before Southgate took charge , here's how we did with the manager in charge.

WC 1998 - R16 (Hoddle)
Euro 2000 - Group (Keegan)
WC 2002 - QF (Eriksson)
Euro 2004 - QF (Eriksson)
WC 2006 - QF (Eriksson)
Euro 2008 - Did Not Qualify (McClaren)
WC 2010 - R16 (Capello)
Euro 2012 - QF (Hodgson)
WC 2014 - Group (Hodgson)
Euro 2016 - R16 (Hodgson)

The 4 tournaments with foreign managers? 3 QF and 1 R16.
The 6 tournaments with English managers? 1 QF, 2 R16, 2 Group and 1 DNQ.

So the foreign manager experiment didn't fail then. Very much the opposite.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Most club managers don’t have that much involvement in recruitment now

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I disagree. Sarah Weigman won the Euros with England and I didn't see anyone complaining about her nationality afterwards.
I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest most of those (not all) who are furious about a non-English manager also not only don’t pay any attention to women’s football but actively feel the need to tell everyone just how much they don’t care about it at every opportunity

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
"The England manager has got to be English" is such a boomer Facebook meme position to take.
I agree, that’s not my position at all, my position is that the England manager can be any nationality apart from German. Not because I have anything against Germans or Germany, far from it. However football without rivalry at any level is just a hobby, and you do NOT employ your greatest rival into your top job.
Club level is littered with examples of this, Benitez at Everton as one, the moment anything goes wrong they are doomed because they’re doomed from the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here