Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who in football terms is Irish as he played for Ireland.
Carsley is as Irish as Andy Townsend and Tony Cascarino. Like multiple others, he just played under a flag of convenience because he wasn't good enough for England.

My grandad was scotch, but it doesn't mean I'm a fully paid up skirt-wearing caber-tossing haggis muncher.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just as well he's not starting until January. Can you imagine the uproar in November if he, gasp, DIDN'T WEAR A POPPY!!!

Or didn't wear a big enough poppy. Or not enough poppies?
I'm looking forward to either

"He's singing our bloody national anthem! Who does he think he is!!??"

Or

"Show some bloody respect and sing our national anthem!!!"

Remember that weird week where people went mental about the colour of the cross on the shirt?

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
Carsley is as Irish as Andy Townsend and Tony Cascarino. Like multiple others, he just played under a flag of convenience because he wasn't good enough for England.

My grandad was scotch, but it doesn't mean I'm a fully paid up skirt-wearing caber-tossing haggis muncher.
Scots...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When the England vacancy came up there were a few on here advocating for Klopp. I hope those same people aren’t now saying “oh no, not a German”.

This has tremendous comedy potential, particularly with the easily offended national anthem crew who might see Tickle accidentally bursting out into a lusty chorus of Uber Alles if we play Germany. Tommy Robinson’s timeline would be mint.

We’ve had Sven and Capello, neither of whom were great but we’ve also had Allerdyce and Woy. So, for me it comes down to quality of coach. And I don’t think Tuchel is quite what we’re looking for.

One thing’s for sure though, Carsley knew, hence the baffling press conferences.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just as well he's not starting until January. Can you imagine the uproar in November if he, gasp, DIDN'T WEAR A POPPY!!!

Or didn't wear a big enough poppy. Or not enough poppies?
:lolol:

And he'd better bloody sing the National Anthem! It will help of course that the royal family are also German. (And our patron saint is probably Turkish, but let's not get into all that).

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

He is an Irish international and thus is Irish in footballing terms. He is English in every other context but in football he will be known as the ex-Irish international…..

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Actually, Carsley is more Irish than Cascarino, because he has Irish parents and grandparents. Cascarino thought his grandmother was Irish, but she wasn't actually his grandmother. So Cascarino was just English without any connection. Not that any of it really matters.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
When the England vacancy came up there were a few on here advocating for Klopp. I hope those same people aren’t now saying “oh no, not a German”.

This has tremendous comedy potential, particularly with the easily offended national anthem crew who might see Tickle accidentally bursting out into a lusty chorus of Uber Alles if we play Germany. Tommy Robinson’s timeline would be mint.

We’ve had Sven and Capello, neither of whom were great but we’ve also had Allerdyce and Woy. So, for me it comes down to quality of coach. And I don’t think Tuchel is quite what we’re looking for.

One thing’s for sure though, Carsley knew, hence the baffling press conferences.
I'm with this. I hope he does well because I think he'll "have a plan" and some Solid Tactics. Now, those tactics might end up being shit but that's an improvement on Southgate. And if it does go all wrong I think it might go spectacularly wrong, like Hitler in Downfall, and it will be bloody funny and his tenure will be very short. Win, win for me.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yes 'second tier', and I don't know how you can possibly say otherwise. Thirty, forty, fifty, sixty years of hurt with nothing to show for it (and we didn't win anything before 1966 either). Tournament after tournament. Decade after decade. As far as international football is concerned we're not a top-tier footballing nation. The fact that simply reaching two recent finals is seen as an 'achievement' says it all. (It was BTW - because we are second-tier).
If you're not too hung up on the last 60 years of hurt then the last few years have shown the England team is not second tier. Imo anyway.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
According to a guy on the internet (but repeated by the Guardian, FWIW), the contract was signed back on the 8th. Which was two days before the Greece game.

So maybe Carsley was just taking the piss? Can't say I'd blame him.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Raises a good question, what would piss off more people, a German or Scotch England manager?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
According to a guy on the internet (but repeated by the Guardian, FWIW), the contract was signed back on the 8th. Which was two days before the Greece game.

Discussed exactly that in the pub last night.

“ Not giving me the job? Here, have a half arsed 4-2-2-2 with no strikers and a stupidly high line.”

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Discussed exactly that in the pub last night.

“ Not giving me the job? Here, have a half arsed 4-2-2-2 with no strikers and a stupidly high line.”

People who aren't stuck in puberty don't do those kind of things. Pretty sure he and his players tried to win the game.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

That guy on the internet is Football editor of The Daily Mail and a guest on Back Pages Tonight later on SSN. Tuchel's press conference did continue after 1400 for the written press but off camera.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here