Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Raises a good question, what would piss off more people, a German or Scotch England manager?
Scotch, for sure. Can you just imagine the "bantz" from our clinically obese drunken drug-addled cousins from over the wall if we appointed one of their mediocre nonentities to manage England ? I'd just give up on the whole thing and walk away.

I'm not overly happy with the appointment of TT, but he does at least come from a certain heritage of success, both personally and in terms of his nationality.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
People who aren't stuck in puberty don't do those kind of things. Pretty sure he and his players tried to win the game.
It was tongue in cheek. I'm sure he wants to be seen as a good manager and not a petulant child who throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. That generally doesn't work. Although there are some managers who seem to think it's a good strategy...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Which non-Brazilan have Brazil appointed then ?
Apologies I appear to have confused them with Portugal. Divided by a common language and all that.

They're currently managed by Martinez, after he left the Belgian job. A man famous for being neither Belgian nor Portuguese.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
Everyone will be laughing. :shrug: They already are.
They are really not. This isn’t your finest moment on the forum.

I would personally greatly prefer an English manager as I think that’s what internationals are all about — gathering the best talents you have as players and coaches and comparing yourselves with other nations. There’s not a whole lot you can do about players but it is at least permissible to have a coach from a different country. Many nations do it. Unfortunately for England, we’re not producing world-beating coaches at the moment despite having a mostly brilliant generation of players. The FA obviously decided they had no choice but to hire a non-English coach though at least they’ve got one who has worked in England and won the CL with an English club.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I couldn’t give a shit he’s foreign, that boat sailed decades ago. Half our team, and many others similarly, aren’t really English. Why should the manager be? It’s the way of the world now, success at any price and money talks ultimately. The morals and integrity of the game belong to past centuries not the 21st. Can’t we just buy a trophy, and sign players capable of winning it instead of this charade of nationality matters? It’s what club sides do after all and being a lot richer, England should have first dibs on the best players and managers therefore.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Yeah alright, we heard you the first time. Not sure why you're being such a negative nelly, the guy has won a shitload of trophies, knows the English game, and is our best hope of winning the world cup.

Personally I think it's a decent appointment.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Scotch, for sure. Can you just imagine the "bantz" from our clinically obese drunken drug-addled cousins from over the wall if we appointed one of their mediocre nonentities to manage England ? I'd just give up on the whole thing and walk away.

I'm not overly happy with the appointment of TT, but he does at least come from a certain heritage of success, both personally and in terms of his nationality.
Ditto.

In theory wouldve prefered an Englishman, as it would probably mean more to that coach, and they'd also be cut more slack with any bad results.... you just know what twitter/X will be like ....."get thaf f***ing German C*** out" if he loses the odd game!!

But now its done, will get behind the 11 English fellas on the pitch and I dare say any of us, with tears streaming down the face, if Kane lifts the WC, will complain or give 2 hoots about the coaches passport.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Carsley is as Irish as Andy Townsend and Tony Cascarino. Like multiple others, he just played under a flag of convenience because he wasn't good enough for England.

My grandad was scotch, but it doesn't mean I'm a fully paid up skirt-wearing caber-tossing haggis muncher.
Small correction. Your grandad was Scots not Scotch (unless he was actually a bottle of whiskey.)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I couldn’t give a shit he’s foreign, that boat sailed decades ago. Half our team, and many others similarly, aren’t really English. Why should the manager be? It’s the way of the world now, success at any price and money talks ultimately. The morals and integrity of the game belong to past centuries not the 21st. Can’t we just buy a trophy, and sign players capable of winning it instead of this charade of nationality matters? It’s what club sides do after all and being a lot richer, England should have first dibs on the best players and managers therefore.
What exactly would be the point of International football if countries could buy, sell and trade players of whatever nationality, the same as club sides ?

Unless I'm missing your point.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
@mejonaNO12 aka riskit has explained it very clearly above, so there's really no need and apologies in advance to everyone else, but I'm happy to indulge you here. Again. :)

1. You made the sweeping claim that our only 2 previous foreign managers were the worst.
2. I posted a small table showing England's top 6 managers with regards to win percentages where Capello is in 1st and Eriksson in 6th.
3. You replied saying that success was more than just win percentages.
4. I agreed, but said that my understanding of the word "worst" wouldn't and couldn't by definition include the manager with the best record.
5. You replied with what looks on the surface like a grievance of "Sir Bobby" and "El Tel" being ignored. Really?

I haven't changed my angle at all. There's lies, damned lies and statistics.

Again I agree with you that 'success' can't be measured on statistics alone, but Capello statistically has the best win percentage record of England managers.

And for a game that's often described as 'a results business', a foreign England manager, whether you like it or not, has the best record to date.

Regardless of other measures of success that can be factored in, that doesn't make him the "worst" as you claim. Logically speaking, it can't.

But do feel free to disagree. :)
I base my opinion of capello on his 1 tournament record, which was one of, if not the worse tournament performances of my lifetime. So therefore he is one of the worse England managers. The fact we clocked up wins against Azerbaijan, Macedonia and other non entities in qualifying is not a counter balance, it's completely meaningless.

The foreign manager experiment is a failed one, why on earth the FA think it's a good idea to go down this route again is beyond stupid

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
TT is a good tournament manager which was probably what attracted the FA. His last season at Bayern was unfortunate no one could have predicted Leverkusen would have gone on that once in lifetime winning streak.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
TT is a good tournament manager which was probably what attracted the FA. His last season at Bayern was unfortunate no one could have predicted Leverkusen would have gone on that once in lifetime winning streak.
Unlucky? Don't think any team has ever picked up that many points while playing awful football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here