Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
I can't deny that I felt a little proud when Swedish managers succeeded in other national teams, big teams. Thinking of Svennis, Lars Lagerbäck, Tony Gustavsson and Pia Sundhage. On the other hand, I think we should do better than hire a Dane (nothing against JDT, I like him). I get really confused, time for lunch!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The last Englishman to win a domestic trophy was Harry Redknapp in 2008.

3 of the 4 British managers in the PL are in the bottom 5.

Literally no good, qualified candidates out there

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Haha. Second tier nation who got to two of the most recent finals! Yeah mate.
Yes 'second tier', and I don't know how you can possibly say otherwise. Thirty, forty, fifty, sixty years of hurt with nothing to show for it (and we didn't win anything before 1966 either). Tournament after tournament. Decade after decade. As far as international football is concerned we're not a top-tier footballing nation. The fact that simply reaching two recent finals is seen as an 'achievement' says it all. (It was BTW - because we are second-tier).

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Interesting that nobody really complained about Carsley getting the gig in the short-term (or managing our U21s), even though he played for Ireland. As far as the football world is concerned, he's a foreigner too.

Is that because he was a temporary appointment? Or because an Irishman isn't really seen as "foreign"? Would people be complaining if a hypothetical Scotsman got the gig?

I realise I'm opening a can of worms here, sorry.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
The last Englishman to win a domestic trophy was Harry Redknapp in 2008.

3 of the 4 British managers in the PL are in the bottom 5.

Literally no good, qualified candidates out there
Are there any English or British managers (well known that is) abroad at the moment? National teams or other? It's a while since El Tel and even McClaren. Guess it's more money "at home" but I think someone should try their luck abroad.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Interesting that nobody really complained about Carsley getting the gig in the short-term (or managing our U21s), even though he played for Ireland. As far as the football world is concerned, he's a foreigner too.

Is that because he was a temporary appointment? Or because an Irishman isn't really seen as "foreign"? Would people be complaining if a hypothetical Scotsman got the gig?

I realise I'm opening a can of worms here, sorry.
He's English.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If foreign players are banned from playing in English clubs, then yes foreign managers should also be banned.

Likewise, if foreign players are banned from playing in the English national team, foreign managers also should be banned.

Consistency.
The rules state that you can have foreign manager so we have and had foreign managers. It’s not like we have just made it up as we went along.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
The rules state that you can have foreign manager so we have and had foreign managers. It’s not like we have just made it up as we went along.
I know what the rules are, I just don't care.

According to the rules Brighton could go on lose 38 games but I don't want that either, despite the rules saying its fine.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Sure. But he is English.

I suspect you might be misunderstanding how people with dual nationalities tend to reconcile their two identities. I'm also English, but I'm not only English because I have another nationality.

Not really the point of this thread and I don't want to derail it, but I get annoyed when people reduce me to one of my nationalities. I suspect that someone who has worn the green of Ireland might feel similarly about being told he's English.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Are there any English or British managers (well known that is) abroad at the moment? National teams or other? It's a while since El Tel and even McClaren. Guess it's more money "at home" but I think someone should try their luck abroad.
McCLaren is one of them still with Jamaica. Plus, Liam Rosenior and Will Still are doing well in France. Steven Gerrard is moping about in Saudi Arabia

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because you can be a good manager without winning anything. Bit like how you can be the good manager of a nice burger shack even if you don't outsell McDonalds.

If Graham Potter would have told Swansea to f*** off, taken the job in Malmö FF instead and won a dozen free titles with a side massively superior to everyone else, it wouldn't have made him a better manager than he is now.

Top 10 in the PL with Brighton is as difficult as winning the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich.

They could have appointed Potter instead of Tuchel for similar reasons to why Brighton appointed Hurzeler instead of Neil Lennon despite the latter collecting eleven trophies for Celtic: there's a little bit more to football than a list of trophies.
Blimey. Excellent post, I agree with every word.

I'm a "little Englander" I suppose, in that I don't want an overseas manager in charge of the England team. When it comes to International football, we should stand or fall based on our own domestic talent, be that on the pitch, or in the dugout. The best of ours, versus the ROTW. Whether that had been Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Ancelotti, whoever. There's no guarantee these "gilded" club managers would be able to transfer their success to the International game anyway, its a totally different project from a club assignment.

I can understand some of the smaller nations drafting in an experienced foreign manager, as they don't have the talent pool. Heck, even the SCOTCH don't go foreign any more after their dalliance with Vogts years ago. But for ENGLAND to have to resort to drafting in a ringer from Germany is an appalling indictment on the domestic game here.

I wish TT well, I hope we're good under him. But anything we actually achieve under his leadership will always come with a caveat - we couldn't do it for ourselves. We had to being someone from Germany to sort us out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here