Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same happened in cricket in 2010/11 down under when we won the Ashes 3-1 - the whole cricket world was pissing itself laughing we won with a non English coach. Everyone. The Australians found it the most funny.
The day I give a tiny shit about what Australians think is the day I book in for a brain CT scan.

I have spent 35 years working with Australians and far too many of them spend their entire time trying to prove themselves to the English, like an over keen little lad who wants to join a gang.

If they imagine they have bettered us at something, or got the upper hand, the jubilation is wondrous to behold. Like the Irish when winning the Eurovision song contest.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It would be difficult to imagine a scenario where the English FA would willingly open themselves up to accusations of employment law violations.
Is this you something you REALLY believe would have happened if someone like Frank Lampard rather than Tuchel would have been given the job?

f*** me.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I am not a fan of this appointment. I think it's odd to be honest, particularly because he doesn't start until Jan and is only on an 18-month contract. I believed that if the FA were going for a foreign coach, Pep was the only one worth considering. It also doesn't always fit that a successful club manager will be a successful International coach.
Having said all that, I will back him and I hope my concerns about his temperament will be proven wrong.
Contracts tend to be in tournament cycles to protect the FA from keeping a manager who has bombed at a tournament. This contract sees him through the 2026 world cup.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm really enjoying how much this appointment is making people angry.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this you something you REALLY believe would have happened if someone like Frank Lampard rather than Tuchel would have been given the job?

f*** me.
You are not following the logic.

If England had appointed Lampard the ONLY reason would have been because he was the only Englishman with a modicum of management experience willing and available to take on the job. He has a track record of abject failure as a manager. His appointment would signal the FA had lost its tiny mind.

I happen to be someone who thinks we should have an English manager, but this is based on logic rather than principle. The logic is that by not having anyone remotely good enough is an indightment of the quality of English managers. And that makes me fee a bit sad.

And even that doesn't bother me much. The EPL is the 'best' in the world, and English managers are not. So what? I really don't care very much. I care more about the fact that it is a bit windy today, outside.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Apart from the Swedish Cup with Östersund in 2017, what has Potter actually won, in terms of titles or trophies, to make his VC so good? Not having a go at you - I'd ask this of an poster - but I genuinely don't understand why Potter attracts such adulation and respect from some people.

He was a good (and steadily improving) manager for us, and seemed a nice enough bloke, albeit lacking in charisma and a bit thin-skinned, but apart from the Swedish Cup seven years ago, he hasn't actually won anything.
Because the transformation from when he took over at Brighton to when he left was pretty remarkable and a huge success in itself.

A lot of people can't see that or care to admit it, they just zoom in on a few bad runs of form during that time or say Potter got lucky with the players he had.

Success doesn't always result in a trophy at the end.

That's the reason Potter was poached by a bigger club and linked with others and the England job.

Just a shame it was Chelsea as he would have been a continued success anywhere else.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This appointment feels like a cocktail of two desperate parties in equal measure, with a large shot of incompetence and a dash of greed added, stirred by the press and served on the rocks.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The day I give a tiny shit about what Australians think is the day I book in for a brain CT scan.

I have spent 35 years working with Australians and far too many of them spend their entire time trying to prove themselves to the English, like an over keen little lad who wants to join a gang.

If they imagine they have bettered us at something, or got the upper hand, the jubilation is wondrous to behold. Like the Irish when winning the Eurovision song contest.
That's a fascinating observation. It hadn't occurred to me before, but you are absolutely right.

I was working with a couple of Australians at UBS during the 2007 Rugby World cup. Before the final, they were full of themselves. I got in the next morning, and didn't say a thing. Not a word. I just smiled at them. Less is more.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The players represent England. Clearly they should have English qualification.

Those around the team (manager, assistants, physios, kit men, psychologists, data analysts, etc.) can be any nationality.

IMHO, like.
Indeed. I do feel @Han Solo (and others, but he's been the most vocal) have a point. This isn't club football, and in the ideal world everyone connected with a national side should be of that nation. But where do you draw the line? As you've pointed out in the modern game the off-field staff aren't just limited to say a Manager and a Trainer. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of backroom staff all working towards the success of the English national team. How far down the line do you have to go before it becomes acceptable to employ a foreigner? The assistants? the analysts? The medical team? Or should we go the whole hog and insist that all the Tea Ladies at St George's Park are of 100% English stock?

It isn't currently a requirement that the manager (and the other staff) have to be of the nation they're working for, and so yeah, we should exploit the rule. Top tier, successful, tournament-winning nations may choose to 'play the game' and only recruit their own, but a second-tier nation like England needs all the help it can get.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. I do feel @Han Solo (and others, but he's been the most vocal) have a point. This isn't club football, and in the ideal world everyone connected with a national side should be of that nation. But where do you draw the line? As you've pointed out in the modern game the off-field staff aren't just limited to say a Manager and a Trainer. The are dozens, maybe hundreds of backroom staff all working towards the success of the English national team. How far down the line do you have to go before it becomes acceptable to employ a foreigner? The assistants? the analysts? The medical team? Or should we go the whole hog and insist that all the Tea Ladies at St George's Park are of 100% English stock?

It isn't currently a requirement that the manager (and the other staff) have to be of the nation they're working for, and so yeah, we should exploit the rule. Top tier, successful, tournament-winning nations may choose to 'play the game' and only recruit there own, but a second-tier nation like England needs all the help it can get.
Yes, let's go back to the 1970s when English football ruled the world*.

"Their ain't no black in the Union Jack".

*Er, I mean the Home Championship. Look at that magnificent record:

1729074726596.png

You're gonna get your fuckin' 'eads kicked in. Fact.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

That's entirely as it should be, but my point was in the aftermath of them being stuffed at home by the Poms in the 10/11 Ashes, nobody there, or in world cricket, mentioned Andy Flower's nationality. Last time India won the world cup in 2011 their coach was.....South African. Australia themselves have had a South African coach.

In Rugby Union all 4 hone unions have had foreign coaches, the last Lions coach was foreign, last Lions squad to New Zealand was coached by a New Zealander......How many GB Olympic sports have had foreign coaches with no mention of it? I don't recall any Daily Mail outrage at any of this though.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One thing that irks me more than it should is Tommy’s barnet…either go to Turkey or shave it off before the next international
This is key for me.

I have nothing against the Germans.

But I don't want Our Boys being dictated to by a bloke with a comb-over. Enough's enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thats' entirely as it should be, but my point was in the aftermath of them being stuffed at home by the Poms in the 10/11 Ashes, nobody there, or in world cricket, mentioned Andy Flower's nationality. Last time India won the world cup in 2011 their coach was.....South African. Australia themselves have had a South African coach.

In Rugby Union all 4 hone unions have had foreign coaches, the last Lions coach was foreign, last Lions squad to New Zealand was coached by a New Zealander......How many GB Olympic sports have had foreign coaches with no mention of it? I don't recall any Daily Mail outrage at any of this though.
With apologies, are you saying that it is OK to have a foreign coach or not? I am now thinking that you don't mind. I was under the impression you were concerned about the Australians laughing at us. Sorry, I am not good an picking up on irony in the written word.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
This is key for me.

I have nothing against the Germans.

But I don't want Our Boys being dictated to by a bloke with a comb-over. Enough's enough.
Naaaah.

Comb-over is pure bravery. There is no way of doing it while keeping your dignity, meaning that the man is pushing the limits of the universe (or at least the modern human).

His hair is one of his few saving graces.

The "no one knows if I'm bald or not, I'm very clever"-cap gotta go though. I think maybe a billion people have seen his head so there's little point in playing that game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Lived there in past.

They have a serious complex, big country geographically but small country attitude. They actually pretty insecure with themselves beneath the bluster.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
With apologies, are you saying that it is OK to have a foreign coach or not? I am now thinking that you don't mind. I was under the impression you were concerned about the Australians laughing at us. Sorry, I am not good an picking up on irony in the written word.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic in my post about Australians. I have no issue with foreign coaches.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Indeed. I do feel @Han Solo (and others, but he's been the most vocal) have a point. This isn't club football, and in the ideal world everyone connected with a national side should be of that nation. But where do you draw the line? As you've pointed out in the modern game the off-field staff aren't just limited to say a Manager and a Trainer. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of backroom staff all working towards the success of the English national team. How far down the line do you have to go before it becomes acceptable to employ a foreigner? The assistants? the analysts? The medical team? Or should we go the whole hog and insist that all the Tea Ladies at St George's Park are of 100% English stock?

It isn't currently a requirement that the manager (and the other staff) have to be of the nation they're working for, and so yeah, we should exploit the rule. Top tier, successful, tournament-winning nations may choose to 'play the game' and only recruit their own, but a second-tier nation like England needs all the help it can get.

Haha. Second tier nation who got to two of the most recent finals! Yeah mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here