Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is that like our Brexit referendum, only in reverse?
What was our outcome? 52% to 48% - this one looks even closer.
Now wondering if the leave (for us) was won with a bit of Russian persuasion?
I think they were trying to influence the vote.
No. As far as loser-friendly conspiracy theories go, that's up there with Trump's claim to have won the 2020 election. Remain lost because more people voted for Leave - it's that simple, really.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. As far as loser-friendly conspiracy theories go, that's up there with Trump's claim to have won the 2020 election. Remain lost because more people voted for Leave - it's that simple, really.

Yes, more people voted for leave.

But how is that proof that Russia did not make payments to people or do anything online to increase the chance?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, more people voted for leave.

But how is that proof that Russia did not make payments to people or do anything online to increase the chance?
When someone puts forward a conspiracy theory, the onus is on them to prove it. Unless or until they do, it remains no more than a conspiracy theory. Which is piss all, really.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
When someone puts forward a conspiracy theory, the onus is on them to prove it. Unless or until they do, it remains no more than a conspiracy theory. Which is piss all, really.
Do you think the same about the theory that Putin has Kompromat on Trump? Is that a conspiracy theory with piss all evidence?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you think the same about the theory that Putin has Kompromat on Trump? Is that a conspiracy theory with piss all evidence?
I've absolutely no idea. I agree it's a conspiracy theory. That do?

Anyway, this current backwater on this excellent thread about the war in Ukraine was started by someone trying to bring Brexit into it, which is entirely inappropriate, so I'm out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I disagree.

Does Putin/Russia have anything to gain from breaking up the EU?
Yes.

Given that they have something to gain, would they do anything to aid the break up if they could?
Yes.

I'd say it's more of a conspiracy theory to suggest they didn't try to aid it. Just as it would be weird if Russia weren't trying to help Trump get elected. Or do you really want us to believe that Russia don't have spies and don't post propaganda online via shills?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Anyway, this current backwater on this excellent thread about the war in Ukraine was started by someone trying to bring Brexit into it, which is entirely inappropriate, so I'm out.
Now hold on old chap ...

I only mentioned Brexit as a comparison to the current Moldova voting that is alleged to have Russian shenanigans seeking to gain them some perceived long term advantage, and merely posed the question, could something similar have happened here.

Not sure if I should be offended at being called a "conspiricy theorist with piss all evidence", but I care not, was just putting it out there as a thought.

I too, have no wish to derail this brilliant thread, so happy to leave it there ....

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Good. Bye
Because if you can’t see a link then that is very naive. And the sort of attitude that Putin et al have been trying to generate across the EU.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is that like our Brexit referendum, only in reverse?
What was our outcome? 52% to 48% - this one looks even closer.
Now wondering if the leave (for us) was won with a bit of Russian persuasion?
The goblin was punching the air and dancing down the corridors of the Kremlin when he heard the Brexit result.

Money well spent via the RT budget paying "appearance money" to a couple of the usual suspects - and no doubt many other payments to other means of spreading misinformation.

The Kremlin excels at hybrid information warfare - as seen in Moldova and Georgia. Kremlin information warfare engendered just enough anti-NATO sentiment in Finland and Sweden to keep them out of NATO. Oh well, they've blown that now.

It is fair to say that the Kremlin's information warfare results are a better return on its money than its military warfare results.

The Kremlin can go again and again in Moldova, Georgia, the US, France, Germany etc. etc. using information warfare without the military cost it has suffered in Ukraine.

It would have been better trying to fix the Ukrainian elections rather than invading Ukraine in 2022.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wonder if other Russian oligarchs are buying bungalows
Everytime another Russian is whacked using this method, it puts me in mind of that scene from Bowie’s ‘The Man Who Fell To Earth’.

I wonder how many times this Oligarch bounced off the window before he finally smashed through it to his death? It seems to be the favourite Putin dispatch method alongside shooting down planes and radioactive poisoning.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I know this is political economics, but the motley collection of countries, many harbouring tensions and grudges with one another, is quite interesting. There are now so many countries I won't ever be spending holidays in!
BBC News - Putin gathers allies to show West's pressure isn’t working

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I know this is political economics, but the motley collection of countries, many harbouring tensions and grudges with one another, is quite interesting. There are now so many countries I won't ever be spending holidays in!
BBC News - Putin gathers allies to show West's pressure isn’t working
Agreed a lot more countries there than I would have expected. Some are obviously playing both sides which shouldn't go unnoticed. I can't imagine anyone putting sanctions on India though might make them stop and think.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Where did arun banks get the £7M from, and why did he repeatedly refuse to say where he got it from? Not proof I know, but the liklihood of probabilities would suggest.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here