Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The law of unintended consequences.

Watch Russia downplay North Korean involvement in the war, after it emerges that South Korea are considering getting involved.

I understand they have a lot of shells. A lot. The Miami Herald puts it at 3.4 million - one result of living next door to North Korea for 70 odd years.

But now South Korea MUST provide the shells... else it'll be more weakness (just words of condemnation)from the 'west' .

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The law of unintended consequences.

Watch Russia downplay North Korean involvement in the war, after it emerges that South Korea are considering getting involved.

I understand they have a lot of shells. A lot. The Miami Herald puts it at 3.4 million - one result of living next door to North Korea for 70 odd years.

Hopefully that is where our recently announced £2.5b will be spent. I'm sure US will be against it as they'd see it as an escalation but we cannot continue to fail to match Putin's actions who seems to be able to buy weapons from whoever he pleases plus import soldiers from anywhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The sheer, utter, twisted, self-righteousness of Russia.

TLDR: This bloke is Ukrainian, lives in occupied Crimea, and is obliged to hold a Russian passport. He refuses to fight against his own country, so is charged and convicted of treason against Russia. Sentence: 18 years.

He should have agreed to fight, and either shot Russians or defected etc

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
He should have agreed to fight, and either shot Russians or defected etc
He did try to defect. But whatever he had decided, agree to fight, refuse to fight, kill Russians or desert/defect (to unoccupied Ukraine), it would have been a decision that required very careful thought. All of them, including the one he took, desertion, could result in his death.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
An un-brainwashed brain... a very very rare thing over there. People like this bright chap probably represent no more than 2% of the population depressingly.
(that is a total 'finger-in-air' guess of course – based on the 100 odd Russian public interviews I've seen).
I understand. Those pubic interviews are as good a source as anything else we have at our disposal.

In the absence of any official data we can trust, 'finger-in-the-air' is all we have left to fall back on.

I have no idea whether 2% is realistic, but the young man in the video seemed erudite, educated and well-informed. Not what you would expect anywhere in Russia, but some must exist, so why not 2%? 1 in 50. If it turns out there are more, then it will be a bonus.

papachris

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I hope Steve Rosenberg is careful. Asking Putin difficult questions must be risky

BBC News - Vladimir Putin: Watch Steve Rosenberg challenge Russian president over Ukraine war - BBC News
People like to attack the BBC but this shows the kudos it has at an international level that even a tyrant like Putin knows he can’t really touch them and their man in Moscow. There’s a reason why those who don’t give a shit about maintaining a pretence of democratic accountability (Iran, North Korea, Mugabe’s Zimbabwe) just banned them and saved themselves the bother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here