Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway facing the sack

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
he was my pick as first prem manager for the chop...:thumbsup:

I would think, if Newcastle don't win a game in, say, the first 4, then AP could beat him to the chop. There clearly isn't harmony there already, and were dire against City. Don't suppose Holloway will be far behind, but I suspect he'll be given 8 games at least (cue his sackng on the SSN in the next 10 mins)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I would think, if Newcastle don't win a game in, say, the first 4, then AP could beat him to the chop. There clearly isn't harmony there already, and were dire against City. Don't suppose Holloway will be far behind, but I suspect he'll be given 8 games at least (cue his sackng on the SSN in the next 10 mins)

Agreed. Can't see Pardew lasting long. Holloway shouldn't be sacked in my opinion. Two reasons: 1) budget and squad restraints and 2) he'll definitely take Palace down.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Holloway himself has openly said that where Palace are as a club in the minds of the owners is not where other people, specifically good players, see them, so it's always going to be tough.

I've said it before: the only players they are going to sign are keen young ones for whom the PL is a big step up (Gayle), or, when it comes to players with PL experience, the tainted/ knackered ones who nobody else wants to gamble on (Chamakh). Their survival prospects, wage constraints, and awful facilities make them- and I am genuinely trying to be objective here- the least attractive prospect of all PL clubs to potential signings.

A pretty fair assessment. :thumbsup:

Holloway's biggest task at this moment is to overcome this perception. The odds are against him this season, but despite what the Mirror might say, he has strong support as long as the owners and fans believe that we are putting up a good fight.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
A pretty fair assessment. :thumbsup:

Holloway's biggest task at this moment is to overcome this perception. The odds are against him this season, but despite what the Mirror might say, he has strong support as long as the owners and fans believe that we are putting up a good fight.

Del.

If IH were to go and be replaced by Poyet how would this go with Palace fans generally. I guess if he came in and won you three games in a row he'd be accepted with open arms?

We are fickle sods us football fans!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Palace wouldn't take Gus on as manager too much water under the bridge. I agree that Pardew looks a good bet also he still lives in the area and his children are at school in the area. Pardew would all depend on him being sacked by Newcastle, would you leave a club when you have a contract of six / seven years.

How long is IH's contract? While they have loads of dosh how much compensation would IH cost.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Sorry, another Palace thread, and strangely for me not an anti one.

I actually feel sorry for him if the papers are true, Parish is not happy with his summer signings.

How hard must it be to persuade players of a decent calibre to sign for a team who are almost certain to get relegated and play in one of the worst stadiums in the top two divisions.

CPFC2010 should take a long look at themselves and the facilities they are asking the manager and players to ply their trade in.

You can't polish a turd, you can roll it in glitter but it's still a turd.

Actually you can polish turds to quite a significantly shiny finish !! Saw it on Mythbusters !!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Palace wouldn't take Gus on as manager too much water under the bridge. I agree that Pardew looks a good bet also he still lives in the area and his children are at school in the area. Pardew would all depend on him being sacked by Newcastle, would you leave a club when you have a contract of six / seven years.

How long is IH's contract? While they have loads of dosh how much compensation would IH cost.

If you're talking about APs payoff, the lenght of his contract is irrelevent, the termination amount is allegedly already defined. With the situation between him and Kinnear - not marriage made in heaven at the best of times - he could be out quite quickly. Wouldn't necessarily be interested in CP though.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Del.

If IH were to go and be replaced by Poyet how would this go with Palace fans generally. I guess if he came in and won you three games in a row he'd be accepted with open arms?

We are fickle sods us football fans!

I really can't say, almost anything can happen in football. I don't think Gus ever really believed Brighton was anything more than a step up to a Champions League post, so can't see him attracting the bile and fallout that followed the appointment of Alan Mullery, although most feel he is Chelski scum at heart. Warnock was pretty much loathed here before he took over, and was mostly appreciated when at the helm. Fans can be very odd in who they approve of and who they take against. But I can't see Holloway not being given a clear shot for at least 3 months, however bad things are.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Can see the scenario of Pardew sacked by Newcastle and ending up at palace when Holloway is sacked........and Gus will take over at Newcastle .

Just a hunch.......

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wherever Gus Poyet finishes up at he will come in for Ulloa and Bridcutt just hope TB can keep his nerve which shouldnt be difficult for such an accomplished poker player and demand a very good fee.

A rather sweeping and ridiculous statement IMO. If he ended up at say, Rotherham, he won't be coming sniffing around, and if a prem team gave him a job I doubt he'd be interested either. Possibly if he got a c'ship gig, but few are more tempting for players than us, and those ones are unlikely to be his next employers.

Not so ridiculous as your suggestion that he could even possibly land up at Rotherham or similar. The lowest he will go is a Championship side and most probably a low level Premier side. He will have many admirers from his days as our manager taking 'little Brighton ' to the brink of the Premier. If Holloway leaves Palace and as suggested Pardew took his place then I would bet on Gus going to Newcastle but I wouldnt rule him out of somewhere like Villa, Fulham or even Palace but most definitely not Div 1.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It will be interesting to watch the dynamics at Palace. CPFC saw Holloway as an obvious punt to get them up once Freedman jumped ship. But their form under his reign wasn't that special, he depended a hell of a lot on the momentum built up by Freedman. OK they just made it but now the real work starts.

Holloway's priority task is to consolidate in the Prem but just doesn't seem the right man for the job. He tries too hard to make light of their predicament and be the clown with the media, so much so that he cannot be taken seriously. Failing that he is expounding conspiracy theories and/or looking downcast and defeated. He just doesn't have that gravitas that gives confidence to those around him. At some point the players, Board and fans have to have real faith in the manager and I wonder how many Palace fans (hand on heart) feel that Holloway is the man to keep them up? Potential signings may look at Palace and feel the same way. He will need to pull several top quality rabbits out of hats before the transfer deadline, but as the pundits on MoTD said he is only able to sign everyone else's cast offs. I'm sure they will have their moments but can't see it being near enough.

I wonder how much more money CPFC 2010 will give Holloway to spend before they think it will be better spent by someone else?

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
gus will not get anywhere near the Newcastle job, at best relegation fodder premiership team. Don't believe the hype.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Observers across footie will be well aware of Holloway's tendency for impulsive comments to the media but some of his stuff about his current predicament has a whiff of truth, which must already be causing his Board some embarrassment. In return certain CPFC 2010 Board members have a conspicuous track record for indulging in slagging matches on social media. So makes you wonder what is going on behind closed doors and at what point it could all unravel.

Albion fans know only too well just how the wheels can come off a seemingly happy bus in a very short space of time. We were cruising along in top form last April but the Manager verses Boardroom spat spiralled out of what seemed like fairly minor issues (from the casual observers perspective) despite a very rosy big picture. Yet here we are 3-4 months later with a new regime in charge and regrouping for a fresh start. It just reinforces to me that football managers may appear secure in their jobs but the exit door can revolve very quickly and they are very easily turned into casualties.

I wonder where Palace and Holloway will be in 3-4 months time?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Edit - I also see from the reliable Sunday People,that we're linked with a £300 k move for Ashley Barnes , would you sell for that ?
You said he wasn't good enough to play for you when you were in the Championship, so I'm surprised you're interested. If he is good enough for the prem, then £300k is ridiculous for a young player. The story seems ridiculous.

This would make me very happy just to watch the BBS implode with self righteous indignation at the appointing of what they call an openly racist manager.

Spot on - would they greet him with monkey chants or welcome him with open arms ?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Wherever Gus Poyet finishes up at he will come in for Ulloa and Bridcutt just hope TB can keep his nerve which shouldnt be difficult for such an accomplished poker player and demand a very good fee.

Your assuming they would want to go and play for him. Don't know about Bridcutt but Ulloa seems very happy here already. Wherever Poyet ends up, it won't be because they are doing well will it??? Gus may not have seen us as a good long term prospect, but then he wasn't right about a great many things.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
"We tired, and Stoke got on with it - even with our crowd singing stupid, ridiculous things, which I hate. That is all you need to get spurred up.

Nice one holloway start on your own fans now!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Bottom line is, every player has his price, especially in The Championship.

TB is no fool. He wouldn't sell them on the cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here