Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holloway facing the sack

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
There aren't, but if you were planning out how you get your 40 points then no doubt Sunderland at home = 3

We will have to earn every point, no one will give you anything on a plate.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I see they're now being reported as being in talks with Nicklas Bendtner (& presumably his Pinnochio-like Agent).

Marvelous stuff. :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
3rd game in and Saturday's match versus Sunderland is being billed as a relegation derby game. If Palace don't pick up a point it will be difficult to see when their next chance will be to draw against anyone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was enough of a mug to virtually give Bobby Zamora away to us when he was Bristol Rovers manager. Not, perhaps, the greatest judge of a player. For which we should be eternally grateful...

Yes, that's true. Although to be fair, the world is full of managers who have given away players who have gone on to greater success. Holloway made a cock-up there but £100k for an unproven youngster was probably thought decent business at the time, particularly when Rovers had Cureton, Roberts and Ellington all competing for places. There was no guarantee that BZ would go on to be a success.

We'll be eternally grateful for his mistake but it's one I think many managers would have made

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
3rd game in and Saturday's match versus Sunderland is being billed as a relegation derby game. If Palace don't pick up a point it will be difficult to see when their next chance will be to draw against anyone.

Morning Soggy

Big game Saturday, fancy us next week, Di Canio against Holloway ? Should be fireworks .
Keep up the good work .

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

i really like this post.....wisdom, clarity, and truth.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We will have to earn every point, no one will give you anything on a plate.

Of course not but when you look at your tally of points at the end of the season can pretty well guarantee that something like half of them will come from the other 6 teams in bottom 7.

So you'll need something like 20 points from the 36 available, might look like W6 D2 L4 (Last year Sunderland got 18 from teams in bottom 6)

If you assume Sunderland are in bottom 7 then not picking up 3 at home will be a huge loss, if the above is broadly correct

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Of course not but when you look at your tally of points at the end of the season can pretty well guarantee that something like half of them will come from the other 6 teams in bottom 7.

So you'll need something like 20 points from the 36 available, might look like W6 D2 L4 (Last year Sunderland got 18 from teams in bottom 6)

If you assume Sunderland are in bottom 7 then not picking up 3 at home will be a huge loss, if the above is broadly correct

The bad news for Palace is that they don't get to play Palace twice!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Swansea at home would be their next .. if they blank that you can see them going through to end of October and Fulham, still being on nada

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Palace aside, this is one of the worst aspects of the Premier League for me.

Holloway has done, let's be honest, brilliantly to get that shower into the top flight. They are not a good side, and he somehow got them up.

Adkins, McDermott...the list goes on. People who have overachieved getting their teams promoted to the PL.

But all of a sudden chairmen's heads get turned, they think they ought to be there rather than are lucky to be there, and the manager gets canned. I hope he gets the season.

This is a good point. I think Derby was the classic case. Billy Davies got them up through the Play Offs, but was sacked within a short period of the new season. They then brought in Paul Jewell, who proceeded to lead them to the lowest ever Premiership total (I think it was them; no doubt if it was Sunderland, who I know also got a terrible total one season Acker or whoever will correct me). Also, I think we have to remember that our anti-Palace sentiment (and I'm as guilty as anyone in this) can cloud our judgement. We know just as well that had that Tottenham player fallen over Calde's boot we would have had the dodgy penalty given against us, and I'm afraid I could have seen Shawcross brushing past one of our defenders just as he got past Chamakh. No, I want Holloway to stay, as unless Pardew has had the fall-out he is rumoured to have had with Kinnear (it was on SSN this morning) and goes to Palace, I can see Poyet going there and coming back for a number of our players (Ulloa, Bridcutt, Orlandi and quite possibly one or two of the youngsters).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm not laughing too much yet- they has Sunderland at home next weekend, which is as close as they're going to get this season to three points on a plate.

No doubt Southampton thought the same. How did that work out?

I'll go out on a limb and say that Sunderland won't go down. People have completely the wrong idea about Di Canio. He's regarded as some sort of loose cannon but he got the highest grades in his Pro Licence course at the Italian national coaching centre at Coverciano and his players will be the fittest in the Premier League, just as he was the fittest player at every club he played for.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No doubt Southampton thought the same. How did that work out?

I'll go out on a limb and say that Sunderland won't go down. People have completely the wrong idea about Di Canio. He's regarded as some sort of loose cannon but he got the highest grades in his Pro Licence course at the Italian national coaching centre at Coverciano and his players will be the fittest in the Premier League, just as he was the fittest player at every club he played for.

Di Canio is a very interesting one. All of that is true, he is highly intelligent and should be a success.

I just reckon that criticising his players, individually and collectively, will at some stage lose him the dressing room and undermine all his abilities. But it's going to be fun finding out!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
i really like this post.....wisdom, clarity, and truth.

My palace supporting neighbour has already given up/acknwoldeged reality. After 2 games! Mind you, being a palace fan means he has probably only seen the 'highlights' on tv

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

that

Di Canio is a very interesting one. All of that is true, he is highly intelligent and should be a success.

I just reckon that criticising his players, individually and collectively, will at some stage lose him the dressing room and undermine all his abilities. But it's going to be fun finding out!

but also that.

I've been quite impressed with their recruitment this summer. I think they have plenty to stay up, comfortably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here