Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3-1 to the referee

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Reeves_for_England said:
. Firstly, there was a cracking save from Ben Roberts. .

I've jusy got back from Oldham, having stayed over last night. I'm only half way through this thread, but feel I have to reply to RFE before reading it all.

Yes, it was a cracking save by Roberts, unfortunately the whistle had already gone for Offside, so the save didn't mean much, and it wouldn't have been a goal.

The Pen. You're player was not at point blank range. I imagine you were behind the goal, and this made the distance between Chippy & your player look smaller. Chippy was outside the area by about 6 or 7 yards your guy was inside the area and raised his arm as he jumped.

The Ref. Yes he was crap. The number of sliding tackles from behind by your lot that the ref didn't even blow up for, let alone get his cards out, was amazing. The only players who got booked were for talking to him, i still can't see what Cullip was booked for.

Our Goals. One well taken pen, correctly given. A great header by Knight for the second.

A well-worked free-kick for the 3rd, we were lucky it went in, both the keeper and the guy on the post should have stopped it. a well managed side would have known what was coming from the free kick though.

We either do the one directed towards the far post for Bobby to glance in, or one for Danny Cullip to head across goal for someone to poke in. as we haven't got bobby any more it was always likely to be that option.

And yes, we weren't that good yesterday.

Best wishes for the Season RFE, I hope you survive.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
These things even themselves out over a season or as in our case perhaps over two seasons. As the same things keep coming up on this thread I can’t see that there is much else to add.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Have they gone yet? :bigwave:

Thank goodness for that :clap2: :clap2:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
Sorry, but I've got to disagree BHA Links.

Correctly given penalty my arse. Firstly, IT WASN'T A BLOODY CORNER. Secondly, the player made no attempt to handle, therefore it wasn't handball. And no, I wasn't behind the goal. I was sat high up, right on the half way line so got a great view of the match.

The cracking save I was referring to was the one in the second half when Scott Vernon forced a one handed save from a one on one with Ben Roberts and then blazed the rebound over the bar.

As for these sliding tackles, I can remember one. It probably was worthy of a yellow card. However, if the ref had had the audacity to book one of our players I would personally have planted the sod. After about 10 mins, Ben Roberts hacked down one of our strikers. This was AT LEAST a booking, yet incredibly the tosser in charge decided that this wasn't worthy of even a chat with the keeper. Unbelievable.

You also neglect to mention the tremendous save by one of your defenders in the second half. He literally dived and tipped the ball over the bar, but guess what, no penalty.

'...a well managed side would have known what was coming from the free kick though. '

I've written this before, but you probably haven't read it, so here goes again:

Last season we had plenty of defenders at the club and we had the second best defence in the country. The defenders last season were: Clint Hill, Fitz Hall, Julien Baudet, Chris Armstrong, Dave Beharall, Dean Holden, Will Haining and Michael Clegg. Over the summer, Hill, Hall, Baudet and Armstrong were all sold, leaving us with Beharall, Clegg, Holden and Haining as the only surviving defenders. However, Beharall, Holden and Clegg were all injured before yesterday's match. This left us with Will Haining as the only surviving defender at the club from last season. This meant that Danny Hall had to be called up from the youth team and we also signed Kangana of Bolton on loan on Friday. This left us with a back three of Haining, Danny Hall and Kangana, two of whom had never started a league match before (Haining is a also aged just 20). After about 30 mins (and a dodgy penalty) Will Haining was stretchered off with his leg in a brace. This left us with only 2 defenders, and with no other defender on the bench, we had to change formation to 4-4-2 and stick central midfielder Paul Murray at right back. Youth team left winger Rob Walker also had to drop back to left back. As you might have noticed, this left us with a back four consisting of 2 defenders and 2 midfielders (3 of these 4 players were making their league debuts). This could perhaps explain why we suffered some defensive frailties.

Other problems encountered before the game were:
We now only have 2 strikers at the club. One of these has just recovered from a broken foot and had to leave the pitch after 20 mins. A trialist replaced him. Our LWB is injured so had to be replaced by a youth teamer. One of our midfielders was suspended and another injured.

This all led to the team being made up of youth teamers, triallists and a couple of pros.

Since last season we have lost the following first team players:
Clint Hill, Fitz Hall, Chris Armstrong, Julien Baudet, Lee Duxbury, Tony Carss, Clyde Wijnhard, Wayne Andrews, Carlo Corazzin and Josh Low.

Yesterday, our already threadbare squad was missing the following players:
Dave Beharall, Dean Holden, Michael Clegg, David Eyres, Ernie Cooksey and Matty Appleby. Chris Killen and Will Haining were injured in the first half.

All in all, the team from last season was missing 16 players.

I think it would be fairer to say that we are injury ravaged rather than badly managed. Don't you?

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Christ you do go on don't ya!
Yes we played bad and copps admitted that and thats why copps is going through the motions to see where we need to strenghen and we will.

Christ move on and go and suck a lolly or play with your balls or something.

3-1 seagulllllllsssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Oh no!:nono:

You've set him off again :angry:

He hadn't posted anything about that corner and penalty for at least an hour and we thought he had finally given up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Reeves_for_England said:

Correctly given penalty my arse. Firstly, IT WASN'T A BLOODY CORNER. Secondly, the player made no attempt to handle, therefore it wasn't handball. And no, I wasn't behind the goal. I was sat high up, right on the half way line so got a great view of the match.

The cracking save I was referring to was the one in the second half when Scott Vernon forced a one handed save from a one on one with Ben Roberts and then blazed the rebound over the bar.

As for these sliding tackles, I can remember one. It probably was worthy of a yellow card. However, if the ref had had the audacity to book one of our players I would personally have planted the sod. After about 10 mins, Ben Roberts hacked down one of our strikers. This was AT LEAST a booking, yet incredibly the tosser in charge decided that this wasn't worthy of even a chat with the keeper. Unbelievable.

You also neglect to mention the tremendous save by one of your defenders in the second half. He literally dived and tipped the ball over the bar, but guess what, no penalty.

'...a well managed side would have known what was coming from the free kick though. '

Last season we had plenty of defenders at the club and we had the second best defence in the country. The defenders last season were: Clint Hill, Fitz Hall, Julien Baudet, Chris Armstrong, Dave Beharall, Dean Holden, Will Haining and Michael Clegg. Over the summer, Hill, Hall, Baudet and Armstrong were all sold, leaving us with Beharall, Clegg, Holden and Haining as the only surviving defenders. However, Beharall, Holden and Clegg were all injured before yesterday's match. This left us with Will Haining as the only surviving defender at the club from last season. This meant that Danny Hall had to be called up from the youth team and we also signed Kangana of Bolton on loan on Friday. This left us with a back three of Haining, Danny Hall and Kangana, two of whom had never started a league match before (Haining is a also aged just 20). After about 30 mins (and a dodgy penalty) Will Haining was stretchered off with his leg in a brace. This left us with only 2 defenders, and with no other defender on the bench, we had to change formation to 4-4-2 and stick central midfielder Paul Murray at right back. Youth team left winger Rob Walker also had to drop back to left back. As you might have noticed, this left us with a back four consisting of 2 defenders and 2 midfielders (3 of these 4 players were making their league debuts). This could perhaps explain why we suffered some defensive frailties.

We now only have 2 strikers at the club. One of these has just recovered from a broken foot and had to leave the pitch after 20 mins. A trialist replaced him. Our LWB is injured so had to be replaced by a youth teamer. One of our midfielders was suspended and another injured.

This all led to the team being made up of youth teamers, triallists and a couple of pros.

Clint Hill, Fitz Hall, Chris Armstrong, Julien Baudet, Lee Duxbury, Tony Carss, Clyde Wijnhard, Wayne Andrews, Carlo Corazzin and Josh Low.

Dave Beharall, Dean Holden, Michael Clegg, David Eyres, Ernie Cooksey and Matty Appleby. Chris Killen and Will Haining were injured in the first half.

I think it would be fairer to say that we are injury ravaged rather than badly managed. Don't you?

dude, do u have a girlfriend?? If not I think u need one:shootself

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Surprise, Surprise !!!

Correctly given penalty my arse. Firstly, IT WASN'T A BLOODY CORNER.

That has nothing to do with the penalty decision

Secondly, the player made no attempt to handle, therefore it wasn't handball.

WRONG, he handled the ball it was a pen. Wether he meant to handle it or not does not on its own mean that it is not a pen

Yes, that's the one .
We got a free kick for offside. It wouldn't have counted, mate !!!

As for these sliding tackles, I can remember one. It probably was worthy of a yellow card.

I saw a few more, all worthy of the same. If the ref had been any good he'd have chatted to the first one, booked the second if there was a second, cosidering he had by now had this fictional chat.

Then there was no way Roberts would have taken your guy out

However, if the ref had had the audacity to book one of our players I would personally have planted the sod.

OK

After about 10 mins, Ben Roberts hacked down one of our strikers. This was AT LEAST a booking, yet incredibly the tosser in charge decided that this wasn't worthy of even a chat with the keeper. Unbelievable.

Agreed

Didn't see that one.

I did see one of your lot save one of your shots on goal by heading it wide though. Same incident, different coloured spectacles?

Yes, Maybe.

It doesn't explain why none of them followed Cullips run. Perhaps they weren't made aware of our tactics at Free Kicks

I know Oldham athletic have had it tough the last few months, I'm glad you've got through those months and you're still playing league football.

You've got to get on with it now, and do the best you can with what you've got.

I'm sorry for you that the fairytale win did not happen

You have to get on with you season, take the luck that is given you, and lose the sour grapes

Your Club has the support of all reasonable football supporters for this Season

I wish you well for the rest of the season, mate

My Match Report is here
[COLOR] If you want to put your version online I will gladly post it on my Site for you[/COLOR]

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
How can you be robbed by the ref and be 3-0 down? Also Ben roberts had 2 saves to make in the whole game, both the latter stages of the second half.

If Oldham think that ref was bad, they should watch a tape of Prosser in the Sheff U match from last season.:salute:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
Dwayne, I don't have a girlfriend at the moment but at least I'm not called Dwayne.

Captain Sensible, ask yourself how many saves our keeper made. The answer is none.

BHA Links, The award of the corner had plenty to do with the penalty. Even if you'd scored from open play we would have gone mental. If the ball hits somebody's hand, it is NOT handball. There needs to be intent. Otherwise, the game would just involve players trying to hit the ball at each other's arms.

Vernon was NOT offside. You got a dead ball (Believe me, I had a far superior view to you). Perhaps you're mixing it up with the great save by Roberts in the first half from that header (which you got a free kick for).

The handball I'm talking about came at the opposite end of the ground to you and was from a free kick. It was a deliberate handball. Stonewall penalty but Eddie 'the wanker' Ilderton didn't give it.

The reason why someone didn't follow Cullip's run was probably due to the fact that they were both playing in their first games and are very inexperienced. We needed a leader at the back but unfortunately he was in A & E at the Royal Oldham Hospital at the time. I'm sure that the defenders were informed about set pieces, but if I was playing at centre back I'm sure that I'd forget what I'd been told or lose concentration due to lack of experience (and the fact that I'm shit).

Regarding the sour grapes, if we'd lost 2-1 with no penalty I'd have no problem whatsoever. However, IMO we were treated disgracefully be an attention seeking ref who changed the game (by Steve Coppell's own admission) with his unique rules of the game.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Reeves_for_England said:

Captain Sensible, ask yourself how many saves our keeper made. The answer is none.

Well if the useless prat had made a save perhaps you wouldn't have lost. Secondly you were the home team and are expected to take the game to us. You didn't, you lost. You can't blame the ref for you defence not being good enough to stop leon knight's two goals.
Anyway I seem to remember Zamora being harshly sent off in our last encounter at the coldest ground in the world ever!!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
(Apologies for my language NSC moderators!)

Reeves, f*** Off

You are the most tedious poster EVER on NSC, and that's saying something

Let it lie, for christ sake, you boring, childish whinger

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
He let in a penalty, a bloody good header and a point blank range header. Hardly his fault.

I've already explained why our defence might not have been in tip top form.

In all fairness, the lead up to your second goal came from another shocking corner decision, but that didn't bother me too much at the time (although others around me were furious).

If you think that someone being sent off for kicking an opponent is dubious then you appear to know even less about the rules than the twat in charge yesterday.

The thing about the ground being cold, I find is mainly hyped up by local papers and the media (whenever we have a big cup game). It's hardly the Costa Del Sol but I don't find it much colder than other grounds. At least away fans are covered now. The weather was hardly cold yesterday anyway!

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
Who's whinging? All I'm doing is putting across some factual information and my own views on the game yesterday. I'm having a debate about the game yesterday. There's no whinging involved.

In fact, the only whinging that's been done recently is you whinging about me.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Blimey I've got another one on the official msg board saying Knight deserved a smacking.

I thought the Bradford fans were bad enough but this really takes the biscuit :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Man you got it bad!
Seriusly anything you feel you have been done out of was never as bad as us losing 2-4 to sheff U last season. Prosser the tosser awards two Penalties that weren't, sends our keeper off, allows a clearly offside goal and overrules the linesman on it and then turns around and calls us fans Racists! From 2-0 up and cruising to 4-2 down in the last 20 minutes and fuming.
I know people say it averages out over the season, but our bad luck didn't. It may ever itself out over a lifetime though. Look forward to your next match. We beat you and you'll play us agin and in your eyes can try to get us back. What ever happens I hope your clubs survives and survives well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here