Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3-1 to the referee

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
There is a reason for having an official thread.....

Repost..

We played 5-3-2 and without an attacking player in the middle 3.

This to me says we went up there to get behind the ball and frustrate you. Why did we do this? It was quite obvious Oldham would be an unknown quantity. You were a good side last year. The troubles may have brought the squad together. Steve Coppell, imo, wanted to play it cautious and see what this new look Oldham side were all about. I think our defence delt with everything you had to give pretty well. We got the lead and from then on we didn't need to attack and risk conceding. So we didn't create many chances. The two set-plays we scored from were well rehersed and won the game. Steve Coppell won the game more than anyone else because he choose the right tactics. You have very good reasons to excuse your defence.. we're out to win a football match though and highlighted where you need to improve.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know Rocky, but you are amongst friends here. We know that you have been "Had over" We have been there! That's why we will support you all we can (with the exception of the 3 points obviously!)

Fans United!

Just felt that Reevesy was going a little over the top!

And relax

:) :thumbsup:

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
friends?? Turkeys a good lad but I wouldnt call berk a friend, more of a person to insult with the help of turkey, some stoke fans and a few others:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
I have fully accepted the defeat. I'm still very, very pissed of about that penalty though. I know that it's not Brighton's fault but I'm still fuming about it because as 99% of people at that game will tell you, it was a joke.

It also annoys me when people like Turkey say 'You're shit. Your defence was crap, etc, etc'

That is why I wrote all that stuff. To explain why.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season (but you won't need it if you get refs like that every week ;)). I've got nowt against Brighton, in fact they're a good example to all clubs in financial trouble. They've shown that a good manager and plenty of fan commitment can work in the modern game.

Despite what I've said about how I didn't rate you, etc, etc. I still expect you to improve (which you'll have to) and reach the play offs because Steve Coppell is a quality, quality manager (a damn site better than so of the over-rated managers in the Premiershit).

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I only said you were shit because you wound me up with about 1,000 posts crying about the ref.

Your defence imo wasn't asked to do much. We didn't really put you under any sustained pressure. It did fall short when it came to the set-pieces though.

My main point was - you didn't lose because the ref was rubbish. You lost because you couldn't defend two set-plays.

Dowie is King

Aug 8, 2003
Preston
Firstly it wasnt a set piece from which u scored the second goal. It was an error from D Shez after a throw-in resulting from a corner that should have never been.

I know that NO Brighton fans will actually agree here but i think a draw would have been a fair result. Any Brighton fans who say it WAS a penalty are only fooling themselves. How could theys ee from the other end of the ground? I had a perfect view of the penalty and corner leading upto it from the Lookers stand (ie the closest u could be). There is noway that it is a penalty when the ball is drilled at a player from a couple of yards away and his arm is against his body!

1-1 would have been very fair as facing pure facts the first two Brighton goals were the result of some pretty dodgy decisions. Admittadely the cross was pin point for the second and some blame goes to shez. The third goal was genuine and we had a real penalty decision turned down as well as your keeper making a fantastic save from Vernon.

As for the Dirty Northern B*sterds comments its you lot that are all ass rapin each other!

On the whole neither team shined but today it was us who were unluckuy enough to be on the wrong end of the 'common' referee in division 2 (i mean crap by common). SO well done Brighton but on another day it could have all been so different.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I agree with you DIK (I do think you ought to have checked your initials first). It could have been so different.

Could have been 3-0, or 4-0.

No good harping on about it. Nothing is gonna change. Just be thankful that you still have a club. We were back in '97.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Im sure Knights first goal came from a corner set-play and his second from a free kick..

I saw the penalty fine. I don't think your lad knew anything about it and thought it was a bit harsh.

You can scrutinise it all you want but it's still Latics 1-3 Seagulls.

I honestly believe we had that game in the bag despite the ref. It would have been nice to have no disputes but thats part n parcel of the game.

If we hadn't scored when we did, we still would have scored, just later.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
My sensible view, after 6 pints and champagne:

1) Referee complaints - i agree - in the first 20 minutes there were 3 fouls on Simon Roger which i would have expected a yellow card for
2) Penalty - To a man, each and everyone one of us in the brighton end shouted handball when it hit the defender. It looked clear to us.
3) We had already hit the bar before going one up - we clearly created more tha 3 cahnces in the game
4) Henderson nearly scored after about 3 minutes with a great dipping shot just wide
5) Knights first goal was a great cross, splitting your defence, from open play
6) Cullip booked for no reason
7) We stopped trying after about 65 mins
In 1989 no-one died - i mean i could go on (TDT)

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
'1) Referee complaints - i agree - in the first 20 minutes there were 3 fouls on Simon Roger which i would have expected a yellow card for
2) Penalty - To a man, each and everyone one of us in the brighton end shouted handball when it hit the defender. It looked clear to us.
3) We had already hit the bar before going one up - we clearly created more tha 3 cahnces in the game
4) Henderson nearly scored after about 3 minutes with a great dipping shot just wide
7) We stopped trying after about 65 mins'

1) There was one bad foul in the first half by a Latics player. However, the ref had already set his stall out by deciding not to even speak to your keeper who hacked down our striker outside the box.

2) Never in a million years a corner. Never in a million years a penalty. Wake Up.

3) and 4) You created sod all. Knight hit the bar, but Henderson's shot was well, well wide. It probably looked different from your end.

5) True, already explained about our defence.

6) Also true

7) Bollocks. Anyway, you were only winning at that point due to crap refereeing and us having no defenders.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
You having crap defenders isn't our fault. Have you read my post? I think it covers everything.

Reeves_for_England said:
'1) Referee complaints - i agree - in the first 20 minutes there were 3 fouls on Simon Roger which i would have expected a yellow card for
7) We stopped trying after about 65 mins'

1) There was one bad foul in the first half by a Latics player. However, the ref had already set his stall out by deciding not to even speak to your keeper who hacked down our striker outside the box.

2) Never in a million years a corner. Never in a million years a penalty. Wake Up.

3) and 4) You created sod all. Knight hit the bar, but Henderson's shot was well, well wide. It probably looked different from your end.

5) True, already explained about our defence.

6) Also true

7) Bollocks. Anyway, you were only winning at that point due to crap refereeing and us having no defenders.

You say Tom-ate-Oh, I say Tomato - let's call the whole thing off. :salute:

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
The fact of the game is that Brighton made more chances than Oldham and our finishing was better!! The ref did have a bad game but thats football. The only thing that worries me now is that if we play like we did we will struggle against most teams in div 2 as i belive Oldham will finish bottom..............:salute:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
The fact is that you DIDN'T create more chances than us. You mustered a measly three in the entire game (including Leon Knight hitting the bar).

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Thats because we didn't want to! You don't have to create chances to win games. You need to take chances.

We produced very few yet came away with 3 goals. The mark of a good team.

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
'You don't have to create chances to win games.'

Too right you don't. All you need to do is kick the ball over the bar, get a corner for it, blast the corner at an opposition player from a 2 yard range and you're 1-0 up. ;)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Congratulations Reeves you have just managed to whinge for 24 hours about the same thing.

The number of posts you put on this board is not going to persuade the referee or the FA to change anything.

It is gone, dead and buried.

So in the words of the song

Sit down shut up

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Reeves_for_England said:
To be fair, I was only joking in that last post and it's only been 22 hours ;).

:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here