Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3-1 to the referee

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"A football fan, who's team lost a game of football, believes that the referee of the game made some poor decisions."

Well, stop the press. This sort of stuff is done to death every Saturday on 606 and other football phone-ins. No doubt if the decisions had been reversed, there'd be a few of Albions fans banging on about it. Fact - referees do not make 100% correct decisions. It's part and parcel of the game and will remain so - until if and when a video referee/4th official/whatever of key moments becomes part of the match experience. Until that time, all football fans will have to put up with poor decisions - some that favour their respective teams and some that favour the opposition.

RFE - if by posting on this board and letting off steam has in any way made you feel better, then I'm glad NSC's helped. I can only hope that you're the sort of individual who will show good grace on the opposition message boards when the poor decisions of referees directly favour Oldham.

Now I'd be eternally grateful for someone to change the record - it's making me feel extremely sleepy. Zzzzzz.....:yawn:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
If you ever see any of my postings after we win through dodgy decisions, I'll admit it.

I also agree with what you say about not making 100% correct decisions. it would be unreasonable to expect anything like that. However, today's referee knew full well that it wasn't a corner. He looked as surprised as anyone when the linesman flagged for a corner. So, knowing that it wasn't a corner, you'd think that even if he thought that it was a penalty (which it most certainly bloody wasn't) he wouldn't give it because of the injustice of the corner.

You'd also think that he'd try and even things up by giving us a penalty. But no, despite a blatant handball by a Brighton player (i.e. he dived and tipped a shot over the bar) no penalty was awarded.

The man was an attention seeking tosser.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
When the ball hits a player on the arm it is handball. Whether the previous corner was right or not. Handball in a penalty area = penalty. No question.

Knight was also brought down in the penalty area in the second half and we didn't get a penalty.

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
Bollocks Yorkie. Total bollocks.

Learn the bloody rules of football will you.

As for the Leon Knight thing being a penalty, don't make me laugh. He fell on his arse after Carlos (4'9'') Roca won the ball off him and for once the Chuckle Brothers linesman and referee combo took no action.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm relieved to hear that, RFE. As for the corner, perhaps the referee could be considered weak - a much more serious concern IMHO than just someone who makes arguably poor decisions. Then again, some might say that a referee would be right to consult with the assistant referees as they've often got a different perspective or angle on the play. But I haven't seen that specific incident and, even if I had, accept that I might see it differently to someone else after several viewings.

If handball is handball everytime, what about defenders who tug the shirts of strikers at corners and free-kicks? Every defender does it during the course of a game - refereeing to the letter of the law would lead to 10 penalties at least during the course of each game.

Of course, zero tolerance on these things often leads to zero common-sense. Giving penalties out like confetti for things like these would diminish the scythed-down-in-the-box penalties.

In a previous teaching life, I once taught the son of Kelvin Morton - Premiership referee and awarder of 5 penalties in a Palace v Albion game. He's got an interesting view on penalties - if there's any doubt about a penalty, one shouldn't be given. The ref can always claim that he didn't see the incident, obscured view, etc., regardless of whether it was clear-cut or not. When a ref gives a penalty, he's got to be 100% convinced in his own mind that a penalty should be awarded, as he might well, especially with the scrutiny of today's press, be asked/required to support his decision with a satisfactory answer. So it's easy and often better not to give a penalty than to give one.

And yes, I asked him about the 5 penalties in the Palace match. And yes, he said he was 100% certain on each and every one of them!

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
DannyBhoy said:
Shut up you oldham d*cks we won and thats that!!!

You dirty northern bast*rds!

Oh and SEAGULLS SEAGULLS "1-3 1-3 1-3 1-3"
dirty Northern basta*ds how you fans can call anyone "dirty" is beyond me, fashion isnt a big down south me thinks

thought berk was a star with his shirt but jesus christ:lolol: :lolol:

Yorkie how did you get your penalty? from a corner that was never a corner. your player skied the ball over the chaddy end without one hint of a diflection and you got corners, your keeper should have been yellow carded for the first incident were he hacked down, then yellow carded again for the time wasting......ooooh look at that grass isnt it pretty:nono: :nono: man on a zimmerphrame could have done the 100 metres in the amount of time your keeper wasted

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm not arguing about the corner. It was the opposite end of the ground to me.

The fact is that it was given. When it was given the ball then hit an Oldham player on the arm therefore a penalty for handball.

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
doesnt matter now, it's over with. Onto Sheffield Wednesday we go!

cheers to the 900 who came today anyway

Just glad the footie's back:clap: :clap:

RFE is there any news on Will haining? I really do fear he's out for the season:( that's all we need:(

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rocky

Good Luck against the Wednesday:thumbsup:

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
On jklatics.com (which IMO is far superior to the official board) someone said that it was just a knock on the ankle and swollen ligaments, so hopefully it won't be too serious.

After today's performance, I'm a lot more optimistic for the rest of the season. When, Holden, Beharall, Eyres, Cooksey (?) and Killen (and even Clegg) all get in the team and get fit, I reckon that we'll be fine.

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
cooksey was only suspended for today wasnt he??

has winjhard gone portugal or not?

Beherall's out for 6 weeks:(

Eyresy was doubtful for today, play him on Tuesday

think Rob Walker and Danny Hall are doing a good job considering like all the youth team players that have come in, they've been thrown in at the deepend, needless to say I am more confident of how we'll cope than I was last week:clap:

onto scunny then wednesday!:clap:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We won the game today because we scored three goals.

The first was a penalty.

The other two were headers from set-plays.

If Oldham were any good they would have defended our set-plays and not allowed us to score.

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
Very good points Turkey.

However, consider this:

In the previous season, you have the second best defence in the entire Football League. However, in the summer a spiteful owner sells this entire back 3 (Clint Hill, Fitz Hall and Chris Armstrong) for a combined £500k - a pitiful amount. Another defender Julien Baudet joins Rotherham on a free transfer. This leaves the club with three defenders left over from the previous season. However, two of these (Dave Beharall and Dean Holden) are injured leaving Will Haining as the only defender left from the previous season. Danny Hall steps up from the youth team to play and a defender is signed on loan from Bolton on the night before the match. This leaves you with a defence of Haining, Kangana and Hall, two of whom have never played a first team match before. After 30 mins (and a dodgy penalty) Haining is stretchered off with his leg in a brace. This leaves only two (very inexperienced) defenders left. There is no-one capable of playing at the back on the bench, so Paul Murray (a central midfielder) is forced to play at right back and Rob Walker (a youth teamer making his debut at left wing back) is forced to play at left back with the team switching to a 4-4-2 formation.
A goal from Knight quickly follows.

Perhaps, having read that, you can see why the defence wasn't the best at defending set pieces. Perhaps, you should also be asking yourself why your team created so little against such an inexperienced and injury ravaged defence. I personally think that they did very well to limit Albion to so few chances.

Can you now see why we might just have struggled to get a hold on the game? I'm sure that if you'd lost 4 defenders from the previous season, plus another 3 through injury, with only one very inexperienced loan signing coming the other way you'd be rock solid at the back........... Or maybe not.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Good points, well made. I feel for Oldham FC and really hope you're able to come out of this a stronger team - you'll certainly come out as stronger fans with a stronger bond between each other and the club. If our own troubles achieved just one thing (and they achieved many more) it was this.

Best of luck with your fundraising, and with getting everything back on track.

With regards the game today and the rights and wrongs of the penalty etc..... I'm going to bed. :) :yawn:

Night all!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, and we lost Zamorra with no money (for team building) to show for it!

We lost Brooker for nothing.

We could lose our two (loan) forwards at any time

You lost your defenders! What can we do about that?

We played you! we won!

I hope you turn it around. We know what it's like to be "up against it!

Reeves_for_England

Aug 3, 2003
Yes. I know that you won. Turkey was saying how crap our defence was, so I was explaining why.

And before you go on, since last season, we've lost Clyde Wijnhard, Wayne Andrews, Carlo Corazzin (all strikers), Josh Low (our RWB), Chris Armstrong, Tony Carss, Lee Duxbury, Clint Hill, Fitz Hall and Julien Baudet.

This has left us with 2 strikers (one had to go to hospital after 25 mins and the other is a youth teamer). Add that to the fact that we were already missing Dave Beharall, Ernie Cooksey, Dean Holden and David Eyres.

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
so Clyde's deffo gone portugal then

dont know if I'm happy or sad!:glare:

we lost a total of 13 players in the summer.:nono: :nono: :nono:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reeves

It's a fact of life that if you lose your best players, you lose games! (we know, believe me)

I'm not "going on". It happens!

Can I ask if you intend to have the same reaction with every other team that beats you this season?

There seems to be half a dozen threads on this board, all with the same topic. ie you and Rocky not accepting defeat!

From my point of view you are welcome on this board, but please change the record. Try and be gracious in defeat. All teams will lose this season, including us.

A few of us have wished you well for future games. Please accept our good wishes. There's no point in venting your frustrations reagarding OAFC's financial problems on THIS board!

what exactly do you expect us to say?

"Sorry we beat you, the ref was bent!, We will appeal to the League to get the result overturned!"

RockyLatic

Aug 6, 2003
Glorious North (I think)
Buzza said:
There seems to be half a dozen threads on this board, all with the same topic. ie you and Rocky not accepting defeat!
me and RFE have both accepted the defeat but have both along the way had to mention circumstances at the club on the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here