Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will you continue to wear a mask after the 19th?

Mask after the 19th?

• Yes, particularly in enclosed public places.

Votes: 270 58.8%
  • Nope, I'm ditching it.

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Depends on the situation.

Votes: 158 34.4%

• Total voters

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The UK cases are going though the roof, and I doubt that many will wear masks so I'm expecting many deaths in the coming months. Universal mask wearing is the way forward, but this needs to be driven by policy and government action which wont be forthcoming.

I feel kind of strange about this, I'm confident that in about 1 year UK will be in a good place, mainly because of vaccines and the fact that so many people will have been previously infected. Places in Asia Pacific are chasing the unrealistic 'zero covid' dream, through draconian border and/or quarantine measures. What's the best course of action? Only time will tell, but I feel sorry for those that are shielding.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I haven't read the whole thread yet as I do not wish to be influenced by others posts, my take on it is somewhat different to other people as my wife suffers from a weak chest and has lung issues (COPD) as well as other numerous health issues which identified her as clinically very vulnerable and subsequently had to self isolate for much of these past eighteen months, knowing the risks to her health I started wearing masks in shops, and deliberately stayed away from any risky situations from February 2020 and though we are both fully vaccinated will continue as much as possible to carry on in the same vein, ( shops at the quietist times, avoiding all inside meeting with others, only meeting family in outside situations. As stated these are our decisions and others can do exactly as they like. We just will not take any undue risks. Equally the advantage to her and us is that risks of other respiratory illnesses are lessened with the face masks and vitamin supplements also are reported to help. No brainer for us, so will definitely continue as we are.

Good luck and stay safe!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the actions by the Government on removing the legal requirement on mask wearing in England is wrong, so will continue to wear my mask in all areas where it is currently required.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We had a golden opportunity to shut out borders properly as soon as it neared Europe, lockdown properly with furlough for 6 months then take it very carefully and have a world beating test and trace system rolled out locally by the NHS.
Then the vaccine came along and shoved it into everyone over 20 to start with.
We could have led the world and now been almost as free as possible.
And totally blew it.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Yes I know they can refuse entry to anyone without needing a reason and I too have never heard of anyone being turfed out or refused entry.

On a daily basis I have stopped people from entering my shop without a mask. Ive turfed others out too. From 19th, wearing a mask will not be mandatory but it will be respectful.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
We had a golden opportunity to shut out borders properly as soon as it neared Europe, lockdown properly with furlough for 6 months then take it very carefully and have a world beating test and trace system rolled out locally by the NHS.
Then the vaccine came along and shoved it into everyone over 20 to start with.
We could have led the world and now been almost as free as possible.
And totally blew it.

Are you really suggesting we could have stopped all trade and food coming to the UK?. I will challenge you to find another Country in the World that does not have the Delta variant in a years time

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think the actions by the Government on removing the legal requirement on mask wearing in England is wrong, so will continue to wear my mask in all areas where it is currently required.

Indeed. I think with infections on the rise it's a mistake. Public transport and in supermarkets is a no brainer for me. I note supermarkets are suggesting you year masks but they won't be mandatory. Cue lots of unpleasantness between shoppers.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm an avid mask wearer.

Untitled design.gif

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So, yet once again in an NSC poll, the noisy minority are just that - a minority!

I am really pleased to see how many people will continue to wear masks. It is actually a shame that it appears the general public are clearly more in touch than the government, although only time will tell for how long!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Are you really suggesting we could have stopped all trade and food coming to the UK?. I will challenge you to find another Country in the World that does not have the Delta variant in a years time

I am talking about the thousands that have walked into this country unchecked over a long period of time and our crap test and trace system and allowing many people in from highly infected countries because of rubbish border controls as an island you can do that. I am talking about people not pallets of food.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm also glad to see that only a few hardcore types want to ditch them completely. Granted, they're not exactly a wonderfully comfortable thing to wear, but it's not that bad, surely, certainly in crowded and enclosed spaces?
I'd rather take the sensible approach, rather than the self-centred one, for the time being.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Would like to see some sources in that as I don’t think that’s quite the full facts for all .

In life viruses do kill people , you can only cover to a point which vaccines have done and the evidence is there. We don’t wear masks in the winter to protect the elderley from flu . At some point you have to draw the line . Data for deaths suggests that’s over due

The bigger picture has always been getting back to normal . The deaths and damage being done with hospital backlogs etc is extreme .

1) Difficult to prove or disprove the actual efficacy of a properly worn mask but pretty much every source I have read have indicates a benefit , some indicting high % of protection. Do you have sources to the contrary?

2) Viruses do indeed kill what we are talking about is trying to improve protection against them. Jabs are a good protection but not 100%, perhaps that gap can be closed by wearing a mask. Flu does kill people , perhaps if we had been smarter about wearing masks earlier we would have had less deaths.

3) But if normal is the cause of the problem then why go back there. Sure get back as close as you can but not the bad parts...

4) Wearing a mask has no relationship to hospital backlog, hopefully you will still need to wear one when you go there ( my partner and daughter work in one). Indeed removing restrictions are likely to have an adverse affect on the hospitals - note hospital cases are rising again.

Really don't understand not wearing a mask....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I suppose the question is do we trust the vaccine or not and the percentage of positive cases to those hospitalised.

Nope - don't trust it all - and I've had it. Have a friend double jabbed and yet she's caught it and the Royal Navy Battle Group including HMS QE have been double jabbed and yet they have a break out as well.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Nope - don't trust it all - and I've had it. Have a friend double jabbed and yet she's caught it and the Royal Navy Battle Group including HMS QE have been double jabbed and yet they have a break out as well.
I think you're misguided. Having the jab does not mean you can't get infected and you're invisible to covid. If simply means you're VERY unlikely to die or get seriously ill if you are infected.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
1) Difficult to prove or disprove the actual efficacy of a properly worn mask but pretty much every source I have read have indicates a benefit , some indicting high % of protection. Do you have sources to the contrary?

2) Viruses do indeed kill what we are talking about is trying to improve protection against them. Jabs are a good protection but not 100%, perhaps that gap can be closed by wearing a mask. Flu does kill people , perhaps if we had been smarter about wearing masks earlier we would have had less deaths.

3) But if normal is the cause of the problem then why go back there. Sure get back as close as you can but not the bad parts...

4) Wearing a mask has no relationship to hospital backlog, hopefully you will still need to wear one when you go there ( my partner and daughter work in one). Indeed removing restrictions are likely to have an adverse affect on the hospitals - note hospital cases are rising again.

Really don't understand not wearing a mask....

Yes,I read about this.
It's called the Swiss cheese effect.
No single course of action is 100 percent effective at stopping the virus.
Each preventive action is like a slice of Swiss cheese with holes in which the virus can pass through.
So we need to think of wearing masks,vaccines,social distancing and hand washing all as an individual slice of Swiss cheese.
And the thinking is that the more slices we lay on top of each other then this will cover up the holes in the cheese.
I don't see a problem with wearing a mask in certain situations if it adds another layer of cheese(protection).

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am talking about the thousands that have walked into this country unchecked over a long period of time and our crap test and trace system and allowing many people in from highly infected countries because of rubbish border controls as an island you can do that. I am talking about people not pallets of food.

Nice to know those pallets move around without drivers.

It’s inevitable that the delta variant would get in. Only a fool would think it could be kept out for ever.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I just wonder at what stage some people will say enough is enough for wearing masks. It appears that covid is never going to be eliminated much like other flu strains. Say if you are aged around 30 would you be happy to keep wearing them for another 50 years if necessary ?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
So did you stop your child having the MMR jab? Did you have a BCG jab?

No because it’s been around for decades and guess what it protects against CHILDHOOD illnesses. He’ll have BCG too.
This vaccine has been thrown together in months and protects against a virus which mainly effects the over 40s.

‘Morning sickness you say? Here take one of these once a day………’
‘Anxiety? Here have a fag’
History proves that medicine is as safe as a point in time. So why take the risk if you don’t need to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here