Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will you continue to wear a mask after the 19th?

Mask after the 19th?

• Yes, particularly in enclosed public places.

Votes: 270 58.8%
  • Nope, I'm ditching it.

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Depends on the situation.

Votes: 158 34.4%

• Total voters

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes here we go again, with the virtue signallers using their masks to hoist themselves up on their high horse.

If I’m wrong show me the real world evidence that masks do anything, show me countries that mandate masks having wildly different outcomes to countries with similar rules/no masks. What the hell was the point of a vaccine if everyone still has to wear masks to protect other people? This is literally never ending, we can’t wear masks for the rest of human history, it doesn’t matter what the level of infection is, as soon as restrictions are removed, cases are going to sky rocket, everyone knew that, the point is the vaccine protects the people who are at risk of dying.

I not going to get into ding dong with you, and dont want this to get bear pitted, but the above about no real word evidence is just silly... there's a ton of peer reviewed scientific/medical papers which clearly proves that wearing a mask stops/slows you or me speading the disease (if we were viral shedding)........ and if youre wearing a proper mask it will also reduce the potential viral load you may breath in from virus containing air around you. (even if it cant prevent it completely).

Many people who got severe forms of the disease did so because they ingested a large viral load, a mask may not offer a 100% protection but it can reduce the severity.

I respect anyones moral/choice and libertarianism but you cant deny the science or if you do it's conspiracy quackery.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not for me.

The vulnerable and elderly are covered so time to crack on

If that's your understanding then its pretty clear you don't understand the situation. People with whose immune system is compromised e.g. by chemotherapy are unlikely to develop antibodies whether they have had 1 or 2 jabs . So now I have corrected your misunderstanding would you wear a mask?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would physically fight anyone who tried to vaccinate my 12 year old lad. I’ve had both jabs = my choice. No one knows the real long term effects from this vaccination so there is no way I’m taking the risk. If that means holidaying in the UK and not being let into places like the Amex until he’s 18 and can decide for himself then so be it.

So did you stop your child having the MMR jab? Did you have a BCG jab?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There's always going to be some who take the "I'm alright jack" narrow view.

It isnt just about the vulnerable and elderly being vaccinated, there will be some younger people who will die and mask are proven to slow transmission.

I'm not an epedemiologist, but from what I've read these new variants occur over time as the virus jumps from person to person and occasionally a slight genetic change happens that gives the virus another advantage against vaccines. Stands to reason, the least transmission possible, the less chance or longer time frame between newer varients emerging.

When you look at the economy, its f***ed, the furlough scheme, whilst neccessary is expensive, whole sectors are hugely impacted, if the virus was to morph into somethin that could evade the vaccines, our citizens will be locked out of every country on earth, we will be in full lockdown again, borrowing even more on the never never. Thats not scaremongering, its statistical fact, higher tranmission, high chances of new varients....... our infections per 100k is already miles worse than anyone else in europe and the dutch example should be heeded.

Why risk everything? We do need to unlock the economy, get people in work and back to the Amex etc and that is still 98% more freedoms than we had and would have again under a full lockdown, i just dont get the need to role th dice on everything on something that has failed in Holland and is against the professional oppinion of so many leading medical and scientific figures.

Right from the start of the outbreak this country has done nothing until it is too late, even when it is on our doorstep and it looks like we are going to do it again, vaccines or not.
We keep being told that lessons will be learned, well how many lessons are there going to be before we actually do the right thing before it gets to us or returns.
The problem is that Johnson will only make decisions that he thinks or knows will make him popular, even if it kills people.
He is incapable of making a sensible decision that people wont like.
All through this I have made my own rules up.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No. No actual real world evidence masks do anything.

It stuns me so many just buy that masks do anything, we’ve had 3 lockdowns, we have 40000 cases per day

Yet parts of the US have made masks optional and are seeing far, far lower rates. There’s no real world data, ie countries that have mandates and don’t really don’t differ that much, or in many cases masked states in the US seem to have higher rates.

People have been brainwashed into believing that wearing a fabric cotton mask actually does anything, lets be honest most of us wear a mask to work in the morning and then home again at night and many wear the same one for days stuffing it back in our pockets before it’s washed.

It's pretty simple really, if you have a covering over your mouth you will stop the spread of moisture particles that carry the virus, equally you will be less likely to get infected. It's not 100% and might be far from it but any % reduction is worth it for the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask.

Regards re-use of the mask , where have you been . Get disposables and dispose of them properly or wash the cloth mask after use. Misuse of masks is not a reason not to use one it just needs better education.

No one has been brainwashed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pre-covid, it was explained to me by a South East Asian friend that the mask it not worn to help protect the wearer, but to help protect those that the wearer may come into contact with. Not that that will mean a damn thing to our native low-IQ ferals who were never going to wear one anyways :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although double vax'd, I will in shops, malls, on flights and in airports.

Not to protect myself but simply to help ameloriate Covid spread in society. It may make no difference, but if a load of people still do, perhaps.

If eventually the majority aren't bothering and the death/hospialisation metrics are still very low, I'll stop.

[I don't see the point of walking 5m from the entrance of a restaurant to your table with a mask on, then all not wearing them for an hour or two. Imho that's silly. I do it though to comply].

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Surely it's his choice, rather than yours?

Personally, I'm going to continue wearing a mask on transport, in shops, etc. I have had both jabs, but I will be wearing a mask.

Obviously it isn't the 12 year old child's choice. The clue is the word child

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If that's your understanding then its pretty clear you don't understand the situation. People with whose immune system is compromised e.g. by chemotherapy are unlikely to develop antibodies whether they have had 1 or 2 jabs . So now I have corrected your misunderstanding would you wear a mask?

Would like to see some sources in that as I don’t think that’s quite the full facts for all .

In life viruses do kill people , you can only cover to a point which vaccines have done and the evidence is there. We don’t wear masks in the winter to protect the elderley from flu . At some point you have to draw the line . Data for deaths suggests that’s over due

The bigger picture has always been getting back to normal . The deaths and damage being done with hospital backlogs etc is extreme .

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
In Wales we will still be required to wear masks on public transport and most indoor spaces. If I were living in an area where masks were discretionary, I would continue to wear one. How do those of you that live the other side of Offa's Dyke feel about being guinea pigs for the rest of the UK? A WHO spokesperson said they would "monitor the English approach with interest," which seems to me to be politics-speak for "are you f**king crazy?"

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’m not sure they give that now?
Edit just re read and saw you said MMR [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MMR is given but take up rates dropped in the late 1990s and as a result measles came back into circulation and whilst measles is not 'bad' for most it can be crippling for some.

BCG is still used and was very effective in reducing TB in this country (it was major cause of death), cases started to rise again but have been reduced by a targeted vaccination programme. It would be eliminated (bar imported cases) if everyone was vaccinated.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We'll still wear masks whilst in close proximity to other humanoids.
Unbelievable to think that from Monday, all will be well and back to normal, as if nothing ever happened!
The government has put the onus onto the public to see if they can responsible, a bit like H&S, where all are responsible*

*My cousin and his family originally decided against the vaccine.
Three of them ended up in hospital two weeks ago withe wretched virus, his son bearing the brunt of it.
Luckily they're all on the mend :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here