Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Fault - Again

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Ah yes, but the way that the thread pans out it does look like you had to back track by saying thats why they are in the Third division, by making a rash statement and not checking the stats.
I’m not having a go at you, just offering and explanation on why your posts may stand out more than others.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ah yes, but the way that the thread pans out it does look like you had to back track by saying thats why they are in the Third division, by making a rash statement and not checking the stats.

No it doesn't.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do not buy Tesco Blue and White Baked beans make do with Tesco own brand rather than spend the money on Heinz, actually I always buy Heinz but that does not suit my argument.
Whats wrong with Asda Smartprice baked beans then ?:lol:

It's no secret that Leeds stay in the game for all the 90+ minutes, so I find it rather predictable that they would dominate in the final minutes if we didn't hit them first.

Our strikers, and attacking in general, is fairly ineffectual. We seem to find out how the opposition play, then apply our strategies accordingly - rather than taking the game to them.
Maybe we just don't HAVE 'a game' to take to anyone, and have to be opportunists every match.

The resolve of the players is certainly there, and we are fairly tough to break down - but I just wish we could have enough initiative to dominate and force the issue - let our opponents worry about us, rather than vice versa.

Subs would have definitely been a strategy, against a side that ramp things up for the final minutes. Put on players who are just starting the game fresh, full of running and fully focussed, as soon as we start to show any signs of requiring something more.

Does this sort of stuff really need to be learned?

Having said this, I doubt we'll be in a relegation battle this season, as the rest of our division is so poor. Plus, I doubt it would be a great thing to get promoted right now - next season perhaps. If the answer to the above question is "yes", then hopefully DW will have learned enough after this season, to start making a more ambitious thrust for
headier climes next season.

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Wilkins should of brought off Jakey with twenty minutes left, he was absolutely knackered but Wilkins clearly didn't see it. Elder and Forster were waiting for the call, but he left it far to late. The game was there for the taking, but Wilkins doesn't have the experience to change a WINABLE game.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
To my mind, ad to those around us, Butters was going to come on because Whing was looking crocked. As it transpired, he wasn't that bad, and Butters sat down again.

butters was coming on to combat mark de vries, who was due to come in as he is a BEAST in the air. however, when leeds scored they decided not to use de vries, and thus we didnt need to use savage

it was pretty obvious we werent going to score with what was out there, savage was completely ineffective and robinson was knackered. changes should have been made earlier

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
butters was coming on to combat mark de vries, who was due to come in as he is a BEAST in the air. however, when leeds scored they decided not to use de vries, and thus we didnt need to use savage

it was pretty obvious we werent going to score with what was out there, savage was completely ineffective and robinson was knackered. changes should have been made earlier

We know, Race told us.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last week we won when we didn't deserve to at Vale, and this week we lost when a draw would have been a fair result.

With the budget we have, the Albion are where they deserve to be, and blaming Wilkins/McGhee/DK/El Abd etc is not going to chase that one iota.

Well I BLAME Oatway and Mayo :rant::rant::rant:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With all due respect sir, what on EARTH are you banging on about? :lolol:

'Do not buy Tesco Blue and White Baked beans make do with Tesco own brand rather than spend the money on Heinz, actually I always buy Heinz but that does not suit my argument'.

By this I was saying that you do not have to settle for the cheapest option if you cannot afford the top brand you can always find a happy medium, that meets both your requirements and your pocket.

I was told that we had to have Wilkins because that is all we could afford but as I said we are already paying wages to Barry Lloyd and I am sure that his knowledge would be invaluable as assistant manager.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
'Do not buy Tesco Blue and White Baked beans make do with Tesco own brand rather than spend the money on Heinz, actually I always buy Heinz but that does not suit my argument'.

By this I was saying that you do not have to settle for the cheapest option if you cannot afford the top brand you can always find a happy medium, that meets both your requirements and your pocket.

I was told that we had to have Wilkins because that is all we could afford but as I said we are already paying wages to Barry Lloyd and I am sure that his knowledge would be invaluable as assistant manager.

Barry Lloyd - pure wind up !!

But Im not going there again.....re-read numerous Lloyd threads for the general opinion

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barry Lloyd - pure wind up !!

But Im not going there again.....re-read numerous Lloyd threads for the general opinion

It is not a wind up I genuinely believe that Barry Lloyd could offer Dean Wilkins more help and a deeper knowledge of the proffesional game than it APPEARS he is getting from White and Chapman.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
This is an irational view I know but what does not help Wilkins is that, to me, there is something fundamentally unappealing about him in terms of his fan rapport and charisma.

When he played he was not an overtly popular player and used to get criticised as he was a soft player. A couple of hefty tackles on him and he went awol for the game. All that I recall was an ability to deliver a decent long field pass and an efficient set-piece.

No one doubts that lack of investment in the side and how damn difficult the job must be. But he does himself no favours in the PR stakes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is an irational view I know but what does not help Wilkins is that, to me, there is something fundamentally unappealing about him in terms of his fan rapport and charisma.

When he played he was not an overtly popular player and used to get criticised as he was a soft player. A couple of hefty tackles on him and he went awol for the game. All that I recall was an ability to deliver a decent long field pass and an efficient set-piece.

No one doubts that lack of investment in the side and how damn difficult the job must be. But he does himself no favours in the PR stakes.

He comes across as quiet, sincere, thoughtful yet passionate - much in the same mould as Steve Coppell I'd say. However, I am led to believe that getting on the wrong side of him is not a desirable place to be.

PR is probably way down the list of his priorities. However, if you want to talk about fan rapport, then as an example witness what happened after the match at Chesterfield last season.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
He comes across as quiet, sincere, thoughtful yet passionate - much in the same mould as Steve Coppell I'd say. However, I am led to believe that getting on the wrong side of him is not a desirable place to be.

PR is probably way down the list of his priorities. However, if you want to talk about fan rapport, then as an example witness what happened after the match at Chesterfield last season.

And Orient..yet he we are with some of us still on his back. I would argue that PR should be way up his list of priorities. Win the fans over and the job gets that little bit easier.

As a comparison Adams played the fan rapport factor very well but would still have a pop back when he chose to. I would rather wrong side Wilkins than Adams.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And Orient..yet he we are with some of us still on his back. I would argue that PR should be way up his list of priorities. Win the fans over and the job gets that little bit easier.

As a comparison Adams played the fan rapport factor very well but would still have a pop back when he chose to. I would rather wrong side Wilkins than Adams.

Adams was a popular choice when he was appointed. The circumstances were different at the time insofar as we were just coming back from Gillingham, there was a general feel-good factor and that Micky Adams was a name to please everyone - and there was no contention regarding the previous manager. He was welcomed with open arms.

Dean Wilkins had to run the gauntlet of being Mark McGhee's successor; there were (and are) many who disagreed with McGhee's departure. In that sense, whoever took over was going to be seen in an unfavourable light.

The concept of him being the wrong choice because he was 'the cheap option' to me is risible. He was effectively appointed manager-in-waiting at the end of the 2005/06 season, when there was a lot of negotiations over Tony Bloom's money coming in. Yeah, Dick could have chosen someone else, but paying two large salaries at once was always going to stretch the purse-strings.

Dean Wilkins had an excellent track record as youth team manager. Dick Knight was prepared to back him as first-team manager, knowing full well that any success that came with Dean's job was going to take a fair bit of time while he was re-building the squad using thin air for money. Dick has given him, in the first instance, three years. Personally, I think it will take longer than that.

I think that even those who dismissed Wilkins' efforts out of hand are now getting to see that we are improving. We have conceded two goals in six games (one in the last five league games), we don't look like getting stuffed. True, our forward line needs to learn to shoot better, but it will come. I am sticking to my conviction that we will finish around 10th come the end of the season. We are not good enough for promotion (and I think the Play-offs are just out of reach), but we aren't going down either. There are far more than four clubs worse than us in this division. I think next season, assuming the rate of improvement I am seeing, will be a Play-off season at least.

Wilkins' nature is that he wants to let his football do the talking. I also suspect he won't do the chest-thumping bit until he feels he has won the fans round, whereas I suspect you'd prefer him to do the chest-thumping bit in order to win the fans round. There's a kind of chicken and egg scenario about this.

So I kind of take your point about the PR, but for me, and for many who appreciate Dean's modus operandi, (that he isn't a Stuart Pearce-type screamer) it's not a major issue. Brighton through-and-through he is, Stuart Pearce he ain't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here