Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Fault - Again

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Dean Wilkins had an excellent track record as youth team manager. Dick Knight was prepared to back him as first-team manager, knowing full well that any success that came with Dean's job was going to take a fair bit of time while he was re-building the squad using thin air for money. Dick has given him, in the first instance, three years. Personally, I think it will take longer than that.

I agree, he deserves his chance - I wonder if Southend fans were as upset when Tilson was promoted?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dean Wilkins had an excellent track record as youth team manager. Dick Knight was prepared to back him as first-team manager, knowing full well that any success that came with Dean's job was going to take a fair bit of time while he was re-building the squad using thin air for money. Dick has given him, in the first instance, three years. Personally, I think it will take longer than that.

I agree, he deserves his chance - I wonder if Southend fans were as upset when Tilson was promoted?

The difference with Tilson was that Southend were at rock bottom, where as we have been in a higher league than this in recent times.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
\'Do not buy Tesco Blue and White Baked beans make do with Tesco own brand rather than spend the money on Heinz, actually I always buy Heinz but that does not suit my argument\'.

By this I was saying that you do not have to settle for the cheapest option if you cannot afford the top brand you can always find a happy medium, that meets both your requirements and your pocket.

But what if you go to Tesco for a small bottle of HP Sauce, but when you get there, all they have in stock is the large squidgy bottles of the more expensive Daddies sauce ? You have enough in your pocket for the Daddies, but you;re not really sure you need such a large bottle, and it would also mean you wouldnt have enough left for the bus fare home. Would you leave it and return home empty handed ? Would you bite the bullet and go for the big expensive squidgy bottle of Daddies ? Or would you walk along to the local Co-Op on the unlikley offchance of them having some HP ?

Bear in mind, you are having bacon sandwiches in the morning.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Adams was a popular choice when he was appointed. The circumstances were different at the time insofar as we were just coming back from Gillingham, there was a general feel-good factor and that Micky Adams was a name to please everyone - and there was no contention regarding the previous manager. He was welcomed with open arms.

Dean Wilkins had to run the gauntlet of being Mark McGhee's successor; there were (and are) many who disagreed with McGhee's departure. In that sense, whoever took over was going to be seen in an unfavourable light.

The concept of him being the wrong choice because he was 'the cheap option' to me is risible. He was effectively appointed manager-in-waiting at the end of the 2005/06 season, when there was a lot of negotiations over Tony Bloom's money coming in. Yeah, Dick could have chosen someone else, but paying two large salaries at once was always going to stretch the purse-strings.

I think that even those who dismissed Wilkins' efforts out of hand are now getting to see that we are improving. We have conceded two goals in six games (one in the last five league games), we don't look like getting stuffed. True, our forward line needs to learn to shoot better, but it will come. I am sticking to my conviction that we will finish around 10th come the end of the season. We are not good enough for promotion (and I think the Play-offs are just out of reach), but we aren't going down either. There are far more than four clubs worse than us in this division. I think next season, assuming the rate of improvement I am seeing, will be a Play-off season at least.

Wilkins' nature is that he wants to let his football do the talking. I also suspect he won't do the chest-thumping bit until he feels he has won the fans round, whereas I suspect you'd prefer him to do the chest-thumping bit in order to win the fans round. There's a kind of chicken and egg scenario about this.

So I kind of take your point about the PR, but for me, and for many who appreciate Dean's modus operandi, (that he isn't a Stuart Pearce-type screamer) it's not a major issue. Brighton through-and-through he is, Stuart Pearce he ain't.

I find it hard to disagree with the vast majority of that TLO. It kind of augments my point that maybe, just maybe, a little more of the chest thumping at points of dramatic and emotional bent would help his case. Some of his detractors may then just gloss over thier view of his perceived tactical inadequacies and support the man in his quest.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
But what if you go to Tesco for a small bottle of HP Sauce, but when you get there, all they have in stock is the large squidgy bottles of the more expensive Daddies sauce ? You have enough in your pocket for the Daddies, but you;re not really sure you need such a large bottle, and it would also mean you wouldnt have enough left for the bus fare home. Would you leave it and return home empty handed ? Would you bite the bullet and go for the big expensive squidgy bottle of Daddies ? Or would you walk along to the local Co-Op on the unlikley offchance of them having some HP ?

Bear in mind, you are having bacon sandwiches in the morning.

Go into the cafe , buy a cup of tea and help yourself to a few HP sachets.

Job done

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I find it hard to disagree with the vast majority of that TLO. It kind of augments my point that maybe, just maybe, a little more of the chest thumping at points of dramatic and emotional bent would help his case. Some of his detractors may then just gloss over thier view of his perceived tactical inadequacies and support the man in his quest.
The main bone of contention recently appears to have been largely an irrelevancy - his sitting in the North Stand during the first half. However, when he was in the dugout for the second half, he got VERY animated. In fact, he out-screamed Dennis Wise pretty comprehensively I thought.

Seriously, I think you might be asking a leopard to change his spots if you are asking for the tea-cup throwing stuff. He does actually find that sort of thing a bit naff, and basically counter-productive. There are more ways to skin a cat and all that...

Ticklish.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
The main bone of contention recently appears to have been largely an irrelevancy - his sitting in the North Stand during the first half. However, when he was in the dugout for the second half, he got VERY animated. In fact, he out-screamed Dennis Wise pretty comprehensively I thought.

Seriously, I think you might be asking a leopard to change his spots if you are asking for the tea-cup throwing stuff. He does actually find that sort of thing a bit naff, and basically counter-productive. There are more ways to skin a cat and all that...

Ticklish.

No, not the tea-cups stuff..not at all what I am drivin at. The waving arm gestures to enaourage up some support, the air punching , the badge kising. Now in plain black and white this sounds on the naff side of really naff. But in the heat of the moment it gets me to a point where I believe I am on the same passionate wavelength as the the Manager.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You mean like Abramovitch has done?

No because he can afford what he wants from the start irrespective of price.

This all boils down to the fact that people are saying that due to our financial circumstances Dean Wilkins is the best that we can afford as we cannot afford a 'big name'.

I am saying that Dean Wilkins, I believe, is adequate for what we need now and may improve BUT he needs help from somebody more experienced and I would suggest that somebody should be Barry Lloyd because we are already paying him a wage so the increase to take over as No2 would be minimal.

I will not name names but I am lead to believe that the opinion of many of the players towards Dean White is not favourable. This may be true, it may not but as it appears to me Dean Wilkins needs more help than he appears to be getting.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

This all boils down to the fact that people are saying that due to our financial circumstances Dean Wilkins is the best that we can afford as we cannot afford a 'big name'.

I am saying that Dean Wilkins, I believe, is adequate for what we need now and may improve BUT he needs help from somebody more experienced and I would suggest that somebody should be Barry Lloyd because we are already paying him a wage so the increase to take over as No2 would be minimal.

I will not name names but I am lead to believe that the opinion of many of the players towards Dean White is not favourable. This may be true, it may not but as it appears to me Dean Wilkins needs more help than he appears to be getting.

Why is Barry Lloyd going to be the answer? He has a patchy record when it comes to managing / coaching in league football. Yes he did get us promoted, but he also has a couple of relegations against him. Also he has not coached in the professional game since he was sacked by the Albion in 1993.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

I will not name names but I am lead to believe that the onion of many of the players towards Dean White is not favourable. This may be true, it may not but as it appears to me Dean Wilkins needs more help than he appears to be getting.

I was being slightly tongue on cheek with my post BG. The policies at Chelsea Fc are a light galaxy away from the Albion. But since you have responded, I recall that Mr Lloyd was very reluctant to make substitutions, which seems to be one of the bones of contention this Saturday gone.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes Barry Lloyd was reluctant to make substitutions by sticking with the 11 that he started with. My view is that his football knowledge given to Dean Wilkins would be a great asset and it must be remembered that at the end of the day the ultimate decision rests with Dean Wilkins. He can either accept or reject the advice or views of others, but nobody knows if he receives any sound advice from Dean White and Ian Chapman or just yes sir no sir agreement.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, not the tea-cups stuff..not at all what I am drivin at. The waving arm gestures to enaourage up some support, the air punching , the badge kising. Now in plain black and white this sounds on the naff side of really naff. But in the heat of the moment it gets me to a point where I believe I am on the same passionate wavelength as the the Manager.

You're right. We're talking Orville The Duck shades of naff there.

Wilkins is a man who drives himself hard, and - as I intimated earlier - he won't allow himself a moment's relaxation until he feels the job is done, and he knows he's a long way from achieving that. Until then, I think we might have to contend ourselves with the personal touch a la Chesterfield and Leyton Orient - i.e. AFTER the game. If you saw those displays of passion, solidarity and desire, you'd know where his heart lies.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yes Barry Lloyd was reluctant to make substitutions by sticking with the 11 that he started with. My view is that his football knowledge given to Dean Wilkins would be a great asset and it must be remembered that at the end of the day the ultimate decision rests with Dean Wilkins. He can either accept or reject the advice or views of others, but nobody knows if he receives any sound advice from Dean White and Ian Chapman or just yes sir no sir agreement.

What modern football knowledge is that though? He has been out of the professional game since 1993.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

We had this all yesterday.

You're assuming that Barry Lloyd is the answer to a problem that you don't actually know exists.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think he's made a number of mistakes whilst manager but he's learning (and hopefully improving) and we're not doing okay at the moment so I'm content.

I thought we should have made 3 changes all at once with about 15/20 mins to go on Sat.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Barry Out - almost 15 years out the prof game and apart from the albion he was non leaguer.
His ability to change a game was worse than DW ever will be.

If BL gets near that 1st team dugout you will lose a good few hundred off the crowd. Supporters just won't have it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We had this all yesterday.

You're assuming that Barry Lloyd is the answer to a problem that you don't actually know exists.

I am not privy to intimate conversations between the coaching/management staff and can only comment on how it appears to me rightly or wrongly. If I am wrong I would apologise to those concerned, if I am right I would hope that if anybody of note reads these threads they take notice and take the appropriate action but surely this is the fun of being a supporter, all the speculation and the fact that each of us could do better than the man in charge.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
You're right. We're talking Orville The Duck shades of naff there.

Wilkins is a man who drives himself hard, and - as I intimated earlier - he won't allow himself a moment's relaxation until he feels the job is done, and he knows he's a long way from achieving that. Until then, I think we might have to contend ourselves with the personal touch a la Chesterfield and Leyton Orient - i.e. AFTER the game. If you saw those displays of passion, solidarity and desire, you'd know where his heart lies.

I did and I don't doubt where his heart lies. He just needs to where it on his sleeve a few more times. I was troubled at the level of naffness you alluded to and was prepared to accept a rating of Chuckle Bros naff..not Orville though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here