Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Fault - Again

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG is clearly from the Peter Ridsdale school of financial common sense then

I am not saying that we should spend the money to get an Arsene Wenger or even a Glen Hoddle just a little better than we have and still not break the bank. Either to help Wilkins or if that is not possible to replace him. My immediate option is move Barry LLoyd to assistant manager and send Chapman and White out around the County League scouting that does not involve spending hardly any extra money.

Do not buy Tesco Blue and White Baked beans make do with Tesco own brand rather than spend the money on Heinz, actually I always buy Heinz but that does not suit my argument.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Whatever each individuals job is, or input, into the team whilst the match is in progress it is most apparent to anybody watching that between them they are getting things like substituitions wrong on most occassions. Yes they will get some right and we will benefit and perhaps gain a win. It is in this avenue that I feel that Dean Wilkins needs to be guided and perhaps it may be that he is very strong willed and will bnot listen to others, i e White and Chapmans ,views or it may be that they do not offer an opinion that is what I or anybody who is not on the bench does not know.

I'm not sure whether you are criticising the decision-making process or the decisions themselves. The decisions themselves can be held up for scrutiny because they become apparent once the effect of them is in the open.

However, how can you say or suggest Wilkins is 'strong-willed' and 'will not listen to others', when, by your own admission, you don't know how they arrive at their decisions?

As has said many times football teams are down to opinion and I have said that if we were down to 8 men I wouldnt bring Loft on.
For what it is worth I said to my brother that we needed a triple substitution 15 mins from the end Butters on exactly as Race has said with Richards going off Savage and Robinson off with Forster and Elder coming on and Revell playing wider.

I have also said that if we were down to 8 men I wouldnt bring Loft on.

I happen to agree that substitutions may well have been better 10 minutes earlier than they were - but is my opinion, as it is yours.

However, we were still the better team (I didn't see Leeds take the upper hand throught the game for any serious amount of time), so the maxim of 'if it broke, don't fix it', could be applied. The substitutions could have made things worse - broken up the rhythm of the play and all that. As it was, I think they ultimately ended up being a fudge, but then again it's easy to be wise after the event.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I feel that Dean Wilkins needs to be guided and perhaps it may be that he is very strong willed and will not listen to others, i e White and Chapmans ,views or it may be that they do not offer an opinion that is what I or anybody who is not on the bench does not know.

QUOTE]

TLO does this clarify my view that I do not know but am still able to form the opinion that whatever the reason the changing of tactics/substitutions in the main are not working.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
doesn't make me happy

you just seem to be very quick to jump on wilkins back

your not the only one may i add

I'm not one of the quick ones and haven't posted that much about him. Which was why I said if it makes you happy.
You will find far more posts by others about it. Maybe I stand out more as I am a) female and b) old.

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
I'm not one of the quick ones and haven't posted that much about him. Which was why I said if it makes you happy.
You will find far more posts by others about it. Maybe I stand out more as I am a) female and b) old.

And C) The only one who has absolutely no grammatical errors and/or gives a well reasoned argument as to what mistakes Wilkins has made.

:D

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I feel that Dean Wilkins needs to be guided and perhaps it may be that he is very strong willed and will not listen to others, i e White and Chapmans ,views or it may be that they do not offer an opinion that is what I or anybody who is not on the bench does not know.

QUOTE]

TLO does this clarify my view that I do not know but am still able to form the opinion that whatever the reason the changing of tactics/substitutions in the main are not working.

So, let me get this right. You're saying in your opinion that the substitutions aren't working, and then you're taking a speculative guess as to why they're not working, largely hinting at it being a poor decision-making process, although ultimately you don't know.

Have I got that about right now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie;2181184 You will find far more posts by others about it. Maybe I stand out more as I am a) female and b) old.[/QUOTE said:
You must remember that when you pass 40 you are too old to have an opinion. Have your children, if you have any, not told you as a teenager you dont understand you are too old. Teenagers think that us oldies started life at 50 years old.:lol::lol::lol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I was quite complimentary about his achievements as youth team manager until he laid into the squad for playing badly (having come back from 2-1 down, to win 3-2 in extra time)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You must remember that when you pass 40 you are too old to have an opinion. Have your children, if you have any, not told you as a teenager you dont understand you are too old. Teenagers think that us oldies started life at 50 years old.:lol::lol::lol:

Oh yes, both of them. Funny how when they got children of their own, they turned to Mum and told me how right I was after asking my opinion on how to deal with babies and toddlers.
:lol::lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So, let me get this right. You're saying in your opinion that the substitutions aren't working, and then you're taking a speculative guess as to why they're not working, largely hinting at it being a poor decision-making process, although ultimately you don't know.

Have I got that about right now?

What I am saying that in my opinion as I see it the changing of tactics and or substitutions needed to win a match do not in general work, They do on some occassion but in the main they do not.

Whether that be because it is the wrong decision or because the system for making the decision is wrong nobody knows other than those concerned and as an outsider looking in it APPEARS to me that Wilkins needs help in making the right decisions from some other quarter and for this reason I am suggesting that a solution to aid an improvement would be to make Barry Lloyd ast manager to thus be on the bench to offer advice as and when needed as it appearred Bob Booker did and Alan Cork in times gone by.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I am basically supportive of Wendy and pleased with the progress made this season.

I do think he made 2 crucial mistakesa though yesterday. If Butters is fit enough to be on the bench then why not play him. And the team, havijng played at a great high tempo for the first half of the second half, had clearly run out of collective steam. We needed fresh legs just to keep the momentum going and go on and win the game. Wilkins didn't see this or at least chose not to act decisively and must take some responsibility. That doesn't meet that he is a crap manager and should be replaced! Why do people on here act so melodramatically! As has been pointed out on this thread already he made a chance last week and Elder promptly made the winning goal with his first touch!

I thought the real plus yesterday was Tommy Fraser. People on here have said that he should be given a chance in the centre as this was his true position. And they were right! His instincts are clearly those of a centre midder and he could play the holding role allowing oclaghan to play higher up the potch amd cause damage.

PG

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What I am saying that in my opinion as I see it the changing of tactics and or substitutions needed to win a match do not in general work, They do on some occassion but in the main they do not.

Whether that be because it is the wrong decision or because the system for making the decision is wrong nobody knows other than those concerned and as an outsider looking in it APPEARS to me that Wilkins needs help in making the right decisions from some other quarter and for this reason I am suggesting that a solution to aid an improvement would be to make Barry Lloyd ast manager to thus be on the bench to offer advice as and when needed as it appearred Bob Booker did and Alan Cork in times gone by.
I understand what you're saying. I happen not to agree because I think you're putting the cart before the horse in trying to find a solution to a problem (or rather, to the cause of a problem) which might not actually exist. As you say, you don't know what specifically the reasons are for the substitutions not working, nor what Ian Chapman and Dean White actually have to offer by way of advice to Dean Wilkins.

However, assuming that your guesswork is correct, and that a solution must be found, I would want Barry Lloyd nowhere near the playing side of the club. But that's another debate entirely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
, I would want Barry Lloyd nowhere near the playing side of the club. But that's another debate entirely.

Again we must agree to disagree as I belive that he did well for us when he was manager and is well voiced in football knowledge and tactics and the sooner he is moved in to help Dean Wilkins the better from my point of view,

I would rather that than the team struggle and Wilkins get sacked and have BL in temp charge, which is what would probably happen if Wilkins left.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In response to the above comment about Butters playing if he was fit, 2 things.
1- Wilkins may have wanted (Rightly i think) to stick with the team that had kept a clean sheet in the previous game instead of changing it because some fans don't like a player,
2- The decision not to play Butters may have been tactical, Butters lacks pace, and with the forwards that Leeds have, Wilkins may have decided to play someone who is more mobile,
Would you still be demanding El-Abd be dropped if he didn't make the mistake, and we kept what would have been a comfortable clean sheet against a so called good team. As someone said before, if it ain't broke don't change it.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton

d) Having flawed stats.

Like the Southend game last season where you said that Eastwood made it 1-1 and it went into extra-time.
Also saying Leeds haven't played anyone good this season, when infact they have played all but 2 of the top 11 teams in the table.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
d) Having flawed stats.

Like the Southend game last season where you said that Eastwood made it 1-1 and it went into extra-time.
Also saying Leeds haven't played anyone good this season, when infact they have played all but 2 of the top 11 teams in the table.

I didn't say that. I said Third division. If they were any good they wouldn't be in the Third division....... Please read my signature!!
As for flawed stats please see b) old age :lol:

Anyone else want to have a go at me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here