Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Fault - Again

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Don't disagree with the idea of the change was needed with 15-20 minutes to go - Jakey looked knackered. But isn't it interesting that, as has been acknowledged, we 'bossed the game' for 75 minutes (actually I thought it was more than that, and we were still the better side after Leeds scored), no-one is prepared to credit the managerial staff for that fact?

Instead, and this is only because we lost, some blame the manager for 'naivety'. If we'd have won, those same people would have almost certainly said nothing.

Ultimately the manager always takes the blame, rightly or wrongly.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I still believe the big problem is our lack of a striker that can put the ball in the net. If we had a Zamora I believe we would have got a point against Yeovil, a win against Bristol Rovers and at least a draw and maybe a win against Leeds. But we don't and Zamoras for 100K don't come along very often. We also don't have the money to go and buy a proven goalscorer. I'm sure Wilkins knows all this already.

However I am frequently puzzled by his substitutions. Elder is the main example. I don't know if he is any good or not but we are never going to know if he is only ever given the odd 10 minutes. And yesterday I'm not sure how Doug Loft was going to change the game and neither was Forster with a couple of minutes to go.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yes, and I can think of more than one or two who are more than happy to do that - rightly or wrongly.

It's always been the same since time immemorial no matter who the manager is or what problems he has with money, players or the board.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Yes, and I can think of more than one or two who are more than happy to do that - rightly or wrongly.
espcially the person this post was in response to

i can't believe people are using yesterday as an excuse to want wilkins out

as i said before a few soft crosses hardly merited panic measures and have to agree with tlo that we were the better team apart from el abd's dodgy late back pass after they scored

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
espcially the person this post was in response to

i can't believe people are using yesterday as an excuse to want wilkins out

Where have I said recently that I want Wilkins out? I said I didn't agree with his appointment. That isn't the same thing at all. :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not cutting the corn? Where do you think we should be then?

I'm surprised by your post, BG, as you usually come across as a wise head but I'd say you're getting ahead of yourself here.

My views are based on the statement made by DK that 'we are going for promotion this season'.

To achieve that we need to beat our main rivals, of which Leeds will most certainly be the main one, at home and beat the easier one away. I believe that Wilkins wil prove to be good enough but am concerned about the support or lack of that he receives from his back room staff. It may well be that he is dictatorial and will not listen to their views, I do not know but I feel that with the imput of an experienced man the team/club would benefit by a rise up the division and an increase in the attendances at Withdean, thus giving a knock on effect of more money , better players more chances of promotion..

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Our strikers in Revell and Robinson scored quite consistantly at the beginning of last season before injury etc... (Revell had hernia for most of second half of season) once they start scoring, the goals will start to start to flow again, we are currently nicely placed, just 6 points of the top, and still to have our strikers to hit form, and when they do we can push on further up the table, so it's not all doom and gloom.

We were causing problems to the Leeds defense so why should Wilkins change it, Leeds were being pushed back into their half but why do our fans panic and demand immediate subs just after conceeding and then blame the manager if this doesn't happen is beyond me, maybe they started to believe that the team they constanly moan about could get a result against someone like Leeds, and shouldn't this actually show what a good job the manager is doing, and how he has transformed the team under his management, so keep the faith support the team and management, and make some noise.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My views are based on the statement made by DK that 'we are going for promotion this season'.

To achieve that we need to beat our main rivals, of which Leeds will most certainly be the main one, at home and beat the easier one away. I believe that Wilkins wil prove to be good enough but am concerned about the support or lack of that he receives from his back room staff. It may well be that he is dictatorial and will not listen to their views, I do not know but I feel that with the imput of an experienced man the team/club would benefit by a rise up the division and an increase in the attendances at Withdean, thus giving a knock on effect of more money , better players more chances of promotion..

What I'm curious about is you say you don't know their (the management team) working practices, or how they get along, or who contributes what to the job in hand, yet still seem fit to imply criticism to an apparent style of management, and apparent lack of input from the Asst Manager and First Team Coach, when - as you say - you have no idea how they operate.

Would you care to elaborate on your observations to clarify what you mean?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

fair enough. I'd agree with Algie, though, and take that DK comment as pre-season hype. I don't think there's too many who thought we could seriously trouble the likes of Forest, Leeds.

Had me worried there, BG, that you'd lost your marbles and joined the likes of Uncle S in blindly condemning Deano. Panic over.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Our strikers in Revell and Robinson scored quite consistantly at the beginning of last season before injury etc... (Revell had hernia for most of second half of season) once they start scoring, the goals will start to start to flow again, we are currently nicely placed, just 6 points of the top, and still to have our strikers to hit form, and when they do we can push on further up the table, so it's not all doom and gloom.

We were causing problems to the Leeds defense so why should Wilkins change it, Leeds were being pushed back into their half but why do our fans panic and demand immediate subs just after conceeding and then blame the manager if this doesn't happen is beyond me, maybe they started to believe that the team they constanly moan about could get a result against someone like Leeds, and shouldn't this actually show what a good job the manager is doing, and how he has transformed the team under his management, so keep the faith support the team and management, and make some noise.

good points well made. Also TLO's posts. I can honestly say that I haven't been this positive about the Albion in years. We are getting much better value for money than for the last few seasons and we've got the basis for a decent squad.

It certainly isn't all doom and gloom.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Don't disagree with the idea of the change was needed with 15-20 minutes to go - Jakey looked knackered. But isn't it interesting that, as has been acknowledged, we 'bossed the game' for 75 minutes (actually I thought it was more than that, and we were still the better side after Leeds scored), no-one is prepared to credit the managerial staff for that fact?

Instead, and this is only because we lost, some blame the manager for 'naivety'. If we'd have won, those same people would have almost certainly said nothing.
Because setting a team out is just one part of management. He did that well and has done generally all season (although some selections have not been great, El-Abd at Gillingham, El-Abd yesterday, Loft at any time, a couple of formations). But you also need to know when and how to change a game. In that department we still seem to be lacking.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because setting a team out is just one part of management. He did that well and has done generally all season (although some selections have not been great, El-Abd at Gillingham, El-Abd yesterday, Loft at any time, a couple of formations). But you also need to know when and how to change a game. In that department we still seem to be lacking.

Again, I don't disagree, but the pervading sentiment appears to be Wilkins f***ed up, rather than 'Jesus, we matched and/or bettered Leeds on the pitch - I wasn't expecting that. Well done, Dean - just a shame about the result.'

It's not with rose-tinted spectacles that I am saying that Wilkins deserves an fair whack of credit for yesterday's performance, as well as some head-shaking for an apparent lack of wisdom regarding the timings of the substitutions.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
To my mind, ad to those around us, Butters was going to come on because Whing was looking crocked. As it transpired, he wasn't that bad, and Butters sat down again. The fact that Leeds went and scored at that same time is a coincidence.

Nothing to do with Whing. He was coming on because De Vries was coming on, when they scored Wise told him to get his gear back on and sit down so he was told to sit down as well, he was going to come on for Richards with El-Abd moving to LB.

I thought we were on top right up till they got a lucky goal. I wouldn't have made a sub up till that point either.

Agree it was a waste waiting till 3mins from time, but doubt Loft would have done anything if he had 180mins to create anyway. Forster should have come on as soon as they scored.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not with rose-tinted spectacles that I am saying that Wilkins deserves an fair whack of credit for yesterday's performance, as well as some head-shaking for an apparent lack of wisdom regarding the timings of the substitutions.

That's about right. Bringing on Forster with three minutes to go (and Loft at any time) was just stupidity. How's the player supposed to do anything in three minutes, especially as Leeds were running the clock down. Not a bad performance all in all tho I strongly suspect it had more to do with Leeds having an off-day than the Albion playing above themseleves. We looked distinctly lightweight up front.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What I'm curious about is you say you don't know their (the management team) working practices, or how they get along, or who contributes what to the job in hand, yet still seem fit to imply criticism to an apparent style of management, and apparent lack of input from the Asst Manager and First Team Coach, when - as you say - you have no idea how they operate.

Would you care to elaborate on your observations to clarify what you mean?

Whatever each individuals job is, or input, into the team whilst the match is in progress it is most apparent to anybody watching that between them they are getting things like substituitions wrong on most occassions. Yes they will get some right and we will benefit and perhaps gain a win. It is in this avenue that I feel that Dean Wilkins needs to be guided and perhaps it may be that he is very strong willed and will bnot listen to others, i e White and Chapmans ,views or it may be that they do not offer an opinion that is what I or anybody who is not on the bench does not know.

As has said many times football teams are down to opinion and I have said that if we were down to 8 men I wouldnt bring Loft on.
For what it is worth I said to my brother that we needed a triple substitution 15 mins from the end Butters on exactly as Race has said with Richards going off Savage and Robinson off with Forster and Elder coming on and Revell playing wider.

I have also said that if we were down to 8 men I wouldnt bring Loft on.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Where have I said recently that I want Wilkins out? I said I didn't agree with his appointment. That isn't the same thing at all. :lol:
i never said you have
i said your more than happy to blame him and you do at every oppotunity

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As has said many times football teams are down to opinion and I have said that if we were down to 8 men I wouldnt bring Loft on.
For what it is worth I said to my brother that we needed a triple substitution 15 mins from the end Butters on exactly as Race has said with Richards going off Savage and Robinson off with Forster and Elder coming on and Revell playing wider.

I have also said that if we were down to 8 men I wouldnt bring Loft on.

Is this Groundhog Paragraph? :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here