Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Fault - Again

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
In fairness to Wilkins, who I dont think is up to the job, he doesnt appear to get much help from the other 2 clowns on the bench but then I may be wrong. Neither Wilkins White nor Chapman have had managerial experience at this level and I think that it shows and that we desperately need to bring in an experienced man to either help Wilkins or replace him.

As long as they're cheap!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
In fairness to Wilkins, who I dont think is up to the job, he doesnt appear to get much help from the other 2 clowns on the bench but then I may be wrong. Neither Wilkins White nor Chapman have had managerial experience at this level and I think that it shows and that we desperately need to bring in an experienced man to either help Wilkins or replace him.

Rubbish.He will improve with experience.He hasn't done to badly to date.We are not expecting promotion or good enough yet.Mid table is fine

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rubbish.He will improve with experience.He hasn't done to badly to date.We are not expecting promotion or good enough yet.Mid table is fine

Yep, that will bring the crowds and much needed money in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

You obviously didnt listen when DK said that 'we are going all out for promotion this season'

I believe that he will get better but he needs better more experienced assistance than White and Chapman.

For fear of getting howled at I think Barry LLoyd, who works for the club would be an improvement, at least he got us to the play offs to get into Div 1 as it was then.

Simple answer make BL ast Manager and send White and Chapman out to look at non league players were they are comfortable.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Who's come out of the woodwork? I have never agreed with Wilkins appointment.

As soon as we lose he's naive. According to a few on here. Didn't hear too many saying that when we recently had our 5 match unbeaten run. Yet....one defeat by a dodgy backpass against the best team in the league (who we matched for 89.9 minutes and actually played better for around 80 of those) and you lot start moaning.

We are doing alright. Consolidation is the key this year. If you're not happy with that when with all other things considered we should be playing conference football a la Aldershot, Hereford etc then there's always Chelsea for you.

We are over-achieving as it is with a manager who, as Algie points out is just starting. We have no right to a big name manager and who in their right mind would want to come to Brighton at the moment?

Our chairman, Chief Exec, Manager, Coaches and team have done wonders at Brighton the last 10 years.

Frankly, I don't care if you or others didn't agree with the appointment. He's the manager, he knows far more about the tactics of the game than you, me and the rest on this board put together and deserves our support. He's done enough to earn our respect.

Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. Que Sera. Up the Albion.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I am always told that DK does not give spin he speaks from the heart!!

You would know along with many others we don't have enough in the squad yet to be challenging for promotion.We will miss out but will keep on improving as a team

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
:rant::rant::rant::rant:

AAARRRGGGHHHHHH

Why do you all come out the woodwork, the instant we lose (and lose to the team that'll probably win the league). We did enough for a credible draw and possible win yesterday. Luck wasn't with us and one bad error cost us the game.

We're top half of the table and looking pretty good at the back. We also played without aour flairest player.

Wilkins is doing a great job considreing the resources, the finances, the squad and the moany gits who they play in front of every week in that crappy stadium.

WILKINS STAYS.
He still should have made a change earlier though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are over-achieving as it is with a manager who, as Algie points out is just starting. We have no right to a big name manager and who in their right mind would want to come to Brighton at the moment?

Our chairman, Chief Exec, Manager, Coaches and team have done wonders at Brighton the last 10 years.

Frankly, I don't care if you or others didn't agree with the appointment. He's the manager, he knows far more about the tactics of the game than you, me and the rest on this board put together and deserves our support. He's done enough to earn our respect.

Nobody is disputing what has been achieved over the past 10 years what they are saying is that now it is obvious that the 3 men in charge of the team are not cutting the corn and either 1 or more should be replaced bya man with more experience at this level not Sussex County League and by that it doesnt have to be a big name.

If all the speculation about David Gold comes to fruition we would probably get a Steve Bruce or similar, a big name.

There are many men out there who have been around the lower divisions that could impart knowledge to Wilkins and help him which is what I am saying he needs.

As I said earlier we already employ one such man Barry LLoyd.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Indeed, with about 20 mins to go.

Don't disagree with the idea of the change was needed with 15-20 minutes to go - Jakey looked knackered. But isn't it interesting that, as has been acknowledged, we 'bossed the game' for 75 minutes (actually I thought it was more than that, and we were still the better side after Leeds scored), no-one is prepared to credit the managerial staff for that fact?

Instead, and this is only because we lost, some blame the manager for 'naivety'. If we'd have won, those same people would have almost certainly said nothing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One;2181048 said:
Simply because he would have been proved to be right but on this occassion he wasnt. I do not know where you sit iut from the North Stand we could see Guy Butters doing up his boots and sock ties to come on so obviously Wilkins had seen that we were under threat and he was going to strengthen the defence in some way but they scored and Guy sat diown again as tactics had to change.

20 mins from the end we looked like we would not score and if anybody did it would be Leeds, as it proved, so to give ourselves a chance of winning and not sitting back inviting Leeds to come at us we should have brought on fresh legs up front to push them further back.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nobody is disputing what has been achieved over the past 10 years what they are saying is that now it is obvious that the 3 men in charge of the team are not cutting the corn and either 1 or more should be replaced bya man with more experience at this level not Sussex County League and by that it doesnt have to be a big name.

If all the speculation about David Gold comes to fruition we would probably get a Steve Bruce or similar, a big name.

There are many men out there who have been around the lower divisions that could impart knowledge to Wilkins and help him which is what I am saying he needs.

As I said earlier we already employ one such man Barry LLoyd.

Not cutting the corn? Where do you think we should be then?

I'm surprised by your post, BG, as you usually come across as a wise head but I'd say you're getting ahead of yourself here.

Yes, if Gold comes onboard then we need to take things to a different level as we will have the resources and funds and stadium to be more ambitious but until then we have to be realistic. And realistically I'm fairly happy with things.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hang on, I watched us play well and cause Leeds lots of problems, create chances etc.. but lose to an unfortunate goal, but thats football. We were playing well before the goal and had quitened the Leeds fans, and looked more likely to score, I can only remember 2 Leeds efforts on goal (one the goal, and any of our players would have been able to score that effort) we were just unlucky today.

I like the fact that now just after losing 1-0 to the team which is widely reguarded as the best in the division, many fans are posting that we should not have lost, and it's Wilkins fault, but hang on, are these the same fans who recently predicted that we would get battered by a good team? Wilkins has defininately improved the team, we are now trying to play much more attacking football that under previous managers, and because we didn't score against a team that has conceeded just 5 goals in 12 matches, it's a distaster.

Support the team and the play-offs are a real possibility.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Simply because he would have been proved to be right but on this occassion he wasnt. I do not know where you sit iut from the North Stand we could see Guy Butters doing up his boots and sock ties to come on so obviously Wilkins had seen that we were under threat and he was going to strengthen the defence in some way but they scored and Guy sat diown again as tactics had to change.

20 mins from the end we looked like we would not score and if anybody did it would be Leeds, as it proved, so to give ourselves a chance of winning and not sitting back inviting Leeds to come at us we should have brought on fresh legs up front to push them further back.
To my mind, ad to those around us, Butters was going to come on because Whing was looking crocked. As it transpired, he wasn't that bad, and Butters sat down again. The fact that Leeds went and scored at that same time is a coincidence.

For me, Leeds were not looking the stronger side for the last 15 minutes - we were still bossing the game. True, they had the ball but mainly around the defence and midfield, and our forwards I thought did a good job of closing down and defending from the front.

In general, we did everything right in that in that game except score (which is obviously vitally important). At least we weren't shooting high, wide and not particularly handsome which is an improvement I suppose, and did make their iffy keeper make a few saves, one of which he spilled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here