Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Guus Hiidink

Votes: 15 13.5%

• Total voters

Easy 10 said:
Nope.
I'd have Mourinho in the job this very afternoon, if he'd have it. I have no qualms whatsoever about a foreigner managing England, I just want the best man for the job. Mourinho ticks every single box for me, the fella is a top class manager and would be brilliant for England. He's the dream ticket.

But its POINTLESS even mentioning him, because he's not going to take the England job. So we're left with sifting through "the best of the rest". I don't think there are any other foreign managers who are outstanding candidates, but I DO think we need someone who is familiar with England and knows our league. I wouldn't object to Wenger getting the job, but again, I don't think he'll be interested.

Doesn't leave us with much, but out of whats left, I think Sams the best choice.

You're probably right about Mourinho but I think Scolari, Hiddink and O'Neill are all better options than Sam, and would all probably be willing to take the job. I don't think knowledge of the English league is relevant in international football.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Ummmm....short fella. Bubble perm. Falls off bikes. Yeah, I remember. His tactical strategy included him leaning out of the technical area and thumping the three lions on his tracksuit top. His heart was in the right place, but unfortunately he left his brain on a golf course in La Manga.

Your point ?
Ever heard of this fella called Allardyce?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Hiddink for me. Proven record at international level and will get us playing good football.

Unfortuanately I don't think there's any English managers out there up to the required standard.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
No way would Wenger or Mourinho take the job at the moment. The issue of the nationality of our manager is silly. We live in a globalised world where people from different countries work everywhere. The most important thing is that we get the best man for the job regardless of where they were born and bred.
I really don't want McLaren, Allardyce nor Curbishley. What have they won? None have managed in the Champions League. No thanks. My shortlist is (in no particular order ): Martin O'Neil, Gus Hiddink, "Big Phil" Scholari and maybe Capello?

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sam Allardyce: - Refer to Englands record circa 1990-93, the FA cannot be stupid enough to do it again.

Steve McClaren: - Smoggies current season will rule him out.

Peter Taylor: - I suspect he is a good coach, not sure as a manager.

Ottmar Hitzfeld: - Possible, but I doubt it.

Alan Curbishley: - Struggling to take Charlton to the next level and struggles to manage star players.

Steve Bruce: - Yeah right.

Sir Trevor Brooking: - Sort of thing the FA might do as an interim move if their first choice candidate is not currenlty available.

Martin O'Neill: - An Irish Catholic will not manage England

Fabio Capello: - Maybe

Guus Hiidink: - Best choice, record in international football is good.

Uncle Buck said:
Sam Allardyce: - Refer to Englands record circa 1990-93, the FA cannot be stupid enough to do it again.

Steve McClaren: - Smoggies current season will rule him out.

Peter Taylor: - I suspect he is a good coach, not sure as a manager.

Ottmar Hitzfeld: - Possible, but I doubt it.

Alan Curbishley: - Struggling to take Charlton to the next level and struggles to manage star players.

Steve Bruce: - Yeah right.

Sir Trevor Brooking: - Sort of thing the FA might do as an interim move if their first choice candidate is not currenlty available.

Martin O'Neill: - An Irish Catholic will not manage England

Fabio Capello: - Maybe

Guus Hiidink: - Best choice, record in international football is good.

And Scolari?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
I think sadly it is still an issue. There is the factor of the 'No Surrender' element that follow England and I think there is an element of O'Neil that would not take the job, call it rivarly or historic.
What about the fact that he played for Northern Ireland at the height of the troubles? I think you'll find MON is made of stonger stuff than to be troubled by the antics of a handful of moronic neo nazis who don't represent the majority of England fans. In fact, if there is one thing positive that would come out of his appointment, it is that these scum would crawl back under the stone they came from.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The chances are he would not take it because of his wife anyway.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
What about the fact that he played for Northern Ireland at the height of the troubles? I think you'll find MON is made of stonger stuff than to be troubled by the antics of a handful of moronic neo nazis who don't represent the majority of England fans. In fact, if there is one thing positive that would come out of his appointment, it is that these scum would crawl back under the stone they came from.

In fairness as a Catholic playing for Northern Ireland that was a rarity. Lennon quit international football due to the abuse he got from the Windsor Park crowd as he played for Celtic.

I think O'Neil is a non-starter due to the long running issues with some of the English support (why take a job where if things go wrong you will get some very personal abuse?) and I would hazard a guess that managing England would be the last thing he would want to do due to geographical rivalry.

Uncle Buck said:
Did not see him on the list.

What is his English like, not being funny, but he has not managed in an English speaking league and it could be an issue.

Good point, hadn't thought of that. I'm not too sure, but I think its reasonable. That would actually be a factor for me too.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'll tell you what I think, I think the Premier League and the LMA need to PIPE DOWN about the NEED for an English manager. We should be appointing the BEST, not the BEST of the ENGLISH options.

f***ing tossers.

Get Capello involved.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I want there to be a foreign appointment who, in his first month, gets caught in a three-in-a-bed love romp with a prostitute and a transexual - both of whom are asylum seekers.

That would really get the Daily Mail going. :D

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
None of the English options are good enough in my book. Big Sam would be another Graham Taylor.
I personnally favour O'Neill for the job. It can't be as full-time as club management (what is it 8 games a year?) so he may be able to do the job and look after his wife.
Hiddink is also a good call. Did a great job with South Korea and got the Aussies to qualify.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Uncle Buck said:
In fairness as a Catholic playing for Northern Ireland that was a rarity. Lennon quit international football due to the abuse he got from the Windsor Park crowd as he played for Celtic.

I think O'Neil is a non-starter due to the long running issues with some of the English support (why take a job where if things go wrong you will get some very personal abuse?) and I would hazard a guess that managing England would be the last thing he would want to do due to geographical rivalry.
I don't think it's a " non starter" at all. What matters much more is if he has the credentials to do the job rather than any quasi religious background he may have had by managing Celtic. Would the FA appoint not someone because a few morons still continue to borishly go on about " no surrender?" Of course not. The issues with O'Neil are football ones and then family concerns, not his Celtic background.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I'll tell you what I think, I think the Premier League and the LMA need to PIPE DOWN about the NEED for an English manager. We should be appointing the BEST, not the BEST of the ENGLISH options.

f***ing tossers.

Get Capello involved.

What he said, the lma along with the pfa are cockers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here