Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who were the f***ing wankers......

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
I used to post here all the time but for the last 3 years I have just sat it out for a number of reasons but this thread has finally tempted me back.

The starter of this thread has got some front telling people what they can and can't do at football matches surely we have enough trouble from stewards and the police with that. And then to try to make out BHA fan base is going to be aligned to left of centre groups (see thread Not happy ... TSLR and the right wing), well TSLR you certainly promoted unity with that one.

Some of you have said that the singers of the song should not be singing it but unless you are a BHA Irish republican sympathiser (and there are a small minority, evening lads) why would you have a problem with the song in this context.

A It is expressing loyalty to England and most of are English
B It is expressing a view that we should not be surrendering to IRA terrorists

Not sure who it was who posted earlier but I had very similar experiences to them in London during the IRA terrorist campaign, some very personal experiences. Whatever your politics you can’t deny they murdered innocent English people and Huddersfield is in England as is Brighton and as I said most of us are English.

The lads who have been going to football before the 1990’s are usually patriotic and loud, like a piss up and probably many of them have right wing views. Its part of the scene, so TSLR have your left of centre views fair enough but don’t try to tell the rest of us what to think or sing at BHA games. See you next season I will be the one with the BHA red hand flag.

NO Surrender

Last edited:

35.7% in the 2005 general election, vs. a combined 58.4% for the two main 'lefty' parties. Far more?

Splitting hairs now about the definition of a leftie? Don't think the Lib Dems of Worthing and Lewes et al would like to be lumped in with Livingstone and his ilk.

If we're gonna split hairs then kindly stop referring to the song as anti-catholic. Unless all catholics are IRA terrorists then it's clearly NOT referring to catholics. Only terrorists.

This song that was sung ONCE. By 4 people. At an Albion game. At Huddersfield.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

By the way, is there a thread where you don't mention that you're Irish? I think we've all got the hint now.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
As a Scot who thought he had left all this ##### behind him, can someone try to explain (in simple terms) what any of these sectarian songs have to do with the Albion?

I've re-read the posts on this thread several times and I am still struggling to understand the connection.

The sectarian #### that goes on in Scotland is considered (by most) to be a cancer of both the game, and the nation. Perhaps the Old Firm really will be at home in England :nono:

I like the sort of mad logic and racism that suggests that a nasty sectarian feud that is in rude health by being perpeptuated by Scotsmen, is in fact nothing to do with them and is far more suited to the horrible English.

f***ing hell. Come on a site full of English football fans and get a dig in at the English because a few lads sang a song. Why dont you go on Rangers and Celtic sites and tell them to stop stabbing each other instead.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If we're gonna split hairs then kindly stop referring to the song as anti-catholic. Unless all catholics are IRA terrorists then it's clearly NOT referring to catholics. Only terrorists.

I'm only referring to it as anti-Catholic as that what's a number of its proponents on here claim it is.

Anyway, you claimed that the Tory's had "far more" votes in "EVERY" election. They had 70,000 more in England in 2005 than Labour - I think excluding other left/left of centre parties to make a claim of about .3% of the poll being "far more" is the definition of splitting hairs.

By the way, is there a thread where you don't mention that you're Irish? I think we've all got the hint now.

Where, precisely, on this thread did I say that? Post number will do.

I'm only referring to it as anti-Catholic as that what's a number of its proponents on here claim it is.

Anyway, you claimed that the Tory's had "far more" votes in "EVERY" election. They had 70,000 more in England in 2005 than Labour - I think excluding other left/left of centre parties to make a claim of about .3% of the poll being "far more" is the definition of splitting hairs.

Where, precisely, on this thread did I say that? Post number will do.

Seems to me that you're the most vociferous in it being anti-catholic than anyone else.

f*** me, you're right about not mentioning you're Oirish on this thread. How ironic. You somehow manage to shoe-horn it in elsewhere no matter how obscure the link but not on a bona fide Oirish thread.

How did you manage it? The temptation must have been over-whelming.

Edit - As for the leftie thing. If we assume that Conservatives are not lefties, that say, half the Lib Dems aren't lefties and there appears to be a sizeable chunk of ex Labour voters returning to the Conservative party then yes, I'd say that there are a damn sight less lefties in this country than Bullshit Detector claims.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
nice one.

I always remember going up to brum to demonstrate against the IRA. We were in a convoy of cars and vans. One of our cars lagged behind. Behind them was a bunch of reds in a van, Who not realising there was over a hundred NF in front started giving it the large one to the NF in the car. Shame about the traffic jam. Lets say the van and the reds didn't make it:D

...due to one of those that used it claiming it was an English, anti-Catholic song.

True, I've just noticed that post. He's wrong. You're right. Ireland has always had a huge Anglican tradition (Swift, Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde) but you did kind of pick up the anti-catholic thing and run with it though.

Anyhow, I've got myself dragged into an utter binfest about 4 drunk blokes saying they like being English and they don't like terrorists. I really don't get what was so offensive even after 12 pages. Best if I leave it.

Jan 30, 2008
I always remember going up to brum to demonstrate against the IRA. We were in a convoy of cars and vans. One of our cars lagged behind. Behind them was a bunch of reds in a van, Who not realising there was over a hundred NF in front started giving it the large one to the NF in the car. Shame about the traffic jam. Lets say the van and the reds didn't make it:D
crazy days ,but that's the way it was ,remember the ANL were about at a few gigs in Brighton ,just nuisance value though.

contact cliffe bonfire society for confirmation on that one
I can't remember ever hearing it sung by members of the Cliffe Bonfire Society - so I doubt that you'd find much expertise there.

And anyway, I've never found the Cliffe to be anti-catholic - and I'm not the only member to have been educated by Irish nuns.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I can't remember ever hearing it sung by members of the Cliffe Bonfire Society - so I doubt that you'd find much expertise there.

And anyway, I've never found the Cliffe to be anti-catholic - and I'm not the only member to have been educated by Irish nuns.

They could always sing about no surrender to the fire brigade!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here