Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who were the f***ing wankers......

I am not a catholic but I would have thought am attack on your spiritual leader could be taken personaly
As I said earlier, that's not how I've ever perceived the attitude of Cliffe Bonfire Society members to me or any other Catholic or ex-Catholic members of the society.

And I haven't lost my nose for anti-catholicism.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
As I said earlier, that's not how I've ever perceived the attitude of Cliffe Bonfire Society members to me or any other Catholic or ex-Catholic members of the society.

And I haven't lost my nose for anti-catholicism.

I don't think the Cliffe Bonfire Society are anti Catholic. I was just wondering after hearing the views of Ann Widdecombe. Whether Catholics outside of the society could percieve it to be so

I don't think the Cliffe Bonfire Society are anti Catholic. I was just wondering after hearing the views of Ann Widdecombe. Whether Catholics outside of the society could percieve it to be so
Without a doubt, many do. As do many protestant sectarians who don't take the trouble to do their homework. Witness Rev Ian Paisley, who I'm sure was surprised to be run out of Lewes a few years back by CBS members who didn't appreciate his planned presence on the fifth.

The theme that runs throughout this thread is this:- Is it right to condemn people on the basis of jumping to conclusions about the songs they sing?

My view is that singing "No surrender ..." doesn't necessarily mean that you're a sectarian. But being a sectarian makes you more likely to enjoy singing "No surrender ... "

It's a song I feel uncomfortable about, simply because it attracts sectarians.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I thought I had finished with this thread but cannot resist a post in these delicious circumstances.

If I understand the position here; the No Popery banner at Lewes is not an attack on individual Roman Catholics or Popes generally. Instead its an attack on the Roman Catholic faith and the pope who was in charge when the 17 Protestant Martyrs were burned to death in Lewes by Roman Catholics.

That must mean the No Fascism type banners which are rolled out in the myriad of anti-Franco festivals in northern Spain are not directed at Fascists generally just an attack on their political ideology of Fascism and Franco?

Someone should tell the old nationalists and Falangists...........they like a glass of Rioja and a dance too!

I don't know as much about anti-fascism in Spain as I do about anti-fascism in Italy. But my recollection of anti-fascists in Italy in the early seventies is that, for the most part, they came on to the streets for one of two reasons.

The first was to commemorate their own exploits in the partisan war against Mussolini and Hitler. The second was to oppose the activities of what they perceived as a new generation of neo-fascists.

There were very few public expressions of hostility towards individuals who had been supporters of Mussolini but who had subsequently accepted that the ideology had been defeated. The reason why that was so? Simple. It was time to move on.

I perceive the same realisation applying in Northern Ireland a decade after the Good Friday Agreement.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
I am not a catholic but I would have thought am attack on your spiritual leader could be taken personaly

Talking of Catholics, I presume that being an intelligent observer of things on the Right you're aware that your old teenage ideolgical fuhrer and 15 year old Bulldog editor Joe Pearce has now converted to Catholicism, calls himself 'Joseph' and has distanced himself (to sneers on 'Stormfront' site) from all raising of the right arm (though personally I'm not sure whether this is not simply a career move to get the grants/work from the prestigious university which is employing him)

I found this out in a most amusing way. I ordered a biography of the great Sussex poet and controversialist Hilaire Belloc I'd not read, written by 'Joseph Pearce'. Given the rather ridiculous attempts by some on the Right to claim HB and his distributism for their own - you may be among them if you're a Third Positionist now - the thought did cross my mind that it might be him, but I laughed! I must say I was gobsmacked when I got it. Well researched, superbly written. A long way from Bulldog, anyway. Or 'Skrewdriver' - The First Ten Years' for that matter....

I really am getting distracted here. I'm an Albion fan, and this is an Albion site. This will be my last post. SEAGULLS!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bushy, firstly Roz is a woman, secondly as Hants (who is a former long service member of HM forces) says the song is usually sung by people who have not only have never served but in all likelyhood would shit themselves if they were conscripted.

And by the way one member of my extended family did multiple tours of NI and the uncle of one of my god-children was murdered by the IRA, so spare me any comments abour my views on the place.
i know what unit hants seagull was in and it wasnt one that that was patrolling hard republican areas, whereas the one I was in on MY multiple tours of northern ireland was,I was eighteen years of age in crossmaglen when we had to try and give first aid to a young squaddie who had been blown up by a car bomb, his whole body looked like a beefburger, he had no hair , eyes or ears, we couldnt get a drip in him because his blood was boiling, i think it was probably for the best that he died two weeks later, so i wont be lectured by people like you who get "offended" by people singing a song, perhaps they should get " offended" by the bastards who carried out some of these f***ing atrocities, i personally wouldnt sing it as it has nothing to do with football, but i would love to see some of these people mouthing off about what would happen if they tried to sing it in belfast ,try to express the same sort of sentiments at a glasgow rangers match.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's football, it's not real life. So sing your songs about No Surrender if you wish to show your somewhat skewed views of patriotism. Scousers feel free to celebrate the death of Matt Busby and his boys, and United fans celebrate Hillsborough if you so desire, West Ham cheer about Belsen when playing Spurs.

But don't whine like a bitch when someone else sings something that you don't like either, fellow arse bandits.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
i know what unit hants seagull was in and it wasnt one that that was patrolling hard republican areas, whereas the one I was in on MY multiple tours of northern ireland was,I was eighteen years of age in crossmaglen when we had to try and give first aid to a young squaddie who had been blown up by a car bomb, his whole body looked like a beefburger, he had no hair , eyes or ears, we couldnt get a drip in him because his blood was boiling, i think it was probably for the best that he died two weeks later, so i wont be lectured by people like you who get "offended" by people singing a song, perhaps they should get " offended" by the bastards who carried out some of these f***ing atrocities, i personally wouldnt sing it as it has nothing to do with football, but i would love to see some of these people mouthing off about what would happen if they tried to sing it in belfast ,try to express the same sort of sentiments at a glasgow rangers match.
With respect, (and I DO mean that), I don't think you can call it a 'f***ing atrocity' unless you also accept that every IRA Volunteer killed by the British Army was also an atrocity. It was a war, and soldiers dying horrible deaths in ambushes is what happens in wars - that's why most sane people deplore them. Given what you've seen I'm surprised that you aren't sickened by people who've never even heard a gun go off gloryfying the conflict, regardless of what side they claim to support.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
With respect, (and I DO mean that), I don't think you can call it a 'f***ing atrocity' unless you also accept that every IRA Volunteer killed by the British Army was also an atrocity. It was a war, and soldiers dying horrible deaths in ambushes is what happens in wars - that's why most sane people deplore them. Given what you've seen I'm surprised that you aren't sickened by people who've never even heard a gun go off gloryfying the conflict, regardless of what side they claim to support.
to be honest i dont pay much attention to them, i am neither for or against them , i think it is a little bit silly perhaps , but what annoys me more is the self righteous tossers who condemn them who wouldnt dream of saying anything about the sectarian songs or flags and banners of celtic "fans", but have no problem slagging rangers for the same thing. naive idiots is the word gerry adams used to describe the likes of blair and that treacherous bitch mowlam, these people fall into that category.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
to be honest i dont pay much attention to them, i am neither for or against them , i think it is a little bit silly perhaps , but what annoys me more is the self righteous tossers who condemn them who wouldnt dream of saying anything about the sectarian songs or flags and banners of celtic "fans", but have no problem slagging rangers for the same thing. ....
To a large extent I agree with you. I used to get a bit exasperated with my fellow lefties back in the seventies who would make themselves jump through all sorts of torturous ideological hoops to try and prove that Irish nationalism was 'good' but British nationalism was 'bad' whereas it was self evident that they were two identical sides of the same coin.

It's like explaining to non-football fans that there's a difference between us and Man U fans. After all we support a little team fighting against the odds whereas they support a big American conglomerate, of course there's a difference! To the non-football fan though it's just a silly game.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Without a doubt, many do. As do many protestant sectarians who don't take the trouble to do their homework. Witness Rev Ian Paisley, who I'm sure was surprised to be run out of Lewes a few years back by CBS members who didn't appreciate his planned presence on the fifth.

Haven't heard that story. Do tell - genuinely interested!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here