Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who were the f***ing wankers......

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
For fcuk's SAKE..
There is an AGREEMENT. The IRA (and their Loyalist equivalents) have declared a ceasefire. The IRA aren't going to shoot anyone: I presume the same goes for the Loyalists. A small bunch of Republican dissidents have vowed to carry on the 'war' and the last I heard were targetting McGuiness!
AND NONE OF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ALBION!
Like I say, if that stuff continues, there is every chance that we are going to have Albion fans hitting each other. Porkpie, do you want that?
JUST SUPPORT THE TEAM!

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
For fcuk's SAKE..
There is an AGREEMENT. The IRA (and their Loyalist equivalents) have declared a ceasefire. The IRA aren't going to shoot anyone: I presume the same goes for the Loyalists. A small bunch of Republican dissidents have vowed to carry on the 'war' and the last I heard were targetting McGuiness!
Like I say, if that stuff continues, there is every chance that we are going to have Albion fans hitting each other. Porkpie, do you want that?
JUST SUPPORT THE TEAM!

Its a pity they don't target Guinness like most decent Irishmen do, that and enjoy football.:smokin:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It's an England song, I've often heard that and other England songs at Brighton games.
Here's 2 to start with:
Engerland, Engerland, Engerland
The Dambuster's March

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So why sing a pointless song about what happened in paddyland in the past? And the song ISN'T English. it originates in NI, not a part of England.

Are you truely stupid? The IRA scum killed people in ENGLAND! - London and elsewhere. I personally could have easily been in two or three bombings in London, but as luck would have it, although some on here may not think so, was not involved. It was very much to do with England, and not just Northern Ireland and Londonderry/Belfast.

Who really cares where it originates? It is an song regularly sung in England - and often at England matches.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
For fcuk's SAKE..
JUST SUPPORT THE TEAM!

Would not be the first time we have had fights between fellow Brighton fans. Used to happen a lot between rival gangs in the 70's before we got more regular attendances from away fans.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
Would not be the first time we have had fights between fellow Brighton fans. Used to happen a lot between rival gangs in the 70's before we got more regular attendances from away fans.

Are you saying that you'd be quite happy for that to happen?

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009
It's not an English or NI song. It's a BRITISH song.

I think Pie has this one right - who cares where it originates from?

The reality is, however, that it is a sectarian song which is commonly used to promote division, and regularly associated with (at best) hatred.

This thread has been an education for me. I am saddened that these songs have a place in English football - and at Albion matches in particular.

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters
Are you truely stupid? The IRA scum killed people in ENGLAND! - London and elsewhere. I personally could have easily been in two or three bombings in London, but as luck would have it, although some on here may not think so, was not involved. It was very much to do with England, and not just Northern Ireland and Londonderry/Belfast.

Who really cares where it originates? It is an song regularly sung in England - and often at England matches.

Out of interest how would you classify the Greysteel murders or those of civilians like James Morgan or Michael McGoldrick by "loyalist" terrorists?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Lord Bracknell, I don’t doubt other things matter.

Paying the water bills and getting Beryl to wash the football kits matter too………….but these are not reasons why BHA exists.

Pompous statements about what the club cares about and who they represent are just insane. BHA is a football club. It did not survive in 1997 because of any community policies or mission statements………………….we drew a football match with Hereford.

To be clear about how I feel then, I couldn’t give a flying f*ck about mission statements and discrimination policies because as a football club they contribute nothing towards BHA winning football matches……………I expect Luton Town had all these things in place too but they did nothing to helping secure their league status…………………on the other hand winning football matches would have.

If you and others think they are more important than the football then the days of being an Albion fan first with everything else second are over.

Read my post again I know BHA has not been taken over by Marxists because I know it’s a football club, not the Chartists. I understand that other posters live in a fantasy world where they think BHA is the new Amnesty International but I and many others I know its not……………it’s a football club.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
'sake. The singers just said that they wouldn't surrender to the IRA. It's a darn sight less political than professing to wish (and do everything in their power) to get Brighton aligned with left of centre political parties and kick out from the club's support everyone who doesn't sign up to that political ethos. That's overt, it's clear, it's not particularly democratic or morally right and it doesn't seem to bother you.

A bunch of blokes singing (ONCE) about not surrendering to a terrorist group is not going to make anyone start voting for the Democratic Unionists, not least because they don't have candidates in England.

Get a sense of proportion.

Exactly. To aid a sense of proportion...it was one rendition of one song (admittedly not the time or place for it - if indeed there is one) by 4 fans.

It was ignored by all bar 3 who responded in an abusive (nay almost rabid) manner and who seemed all too keen to unveil their own political views (on the day, and subsequently on here) to both the perpetrators and other fans in the vacinity (who were trying to get them to calm down and back the team).

I was more concerned at being called a racist and a 'first time fan' by one of the three, and being quoted a stream of politics by the girl. That was in response to saying that 'there's no place for this rubbish today, get behind the team'.

Nice people.

Did it ruin MY day? No.

And I think they've got exactly the reaction they were after on here too.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nobody appears to be disputing that the songs are sung at England and Albion games?
Yes they are sung. As has been pointed out 'No surrender to the IRA' has as much relevance to a Brighton game as singing the French national anthem, but it's a song that some people associate with football so as they're at a football match they sing it.

The reason they associate it with football is because it IS sung by some England fans (often at the end of 'Keep St George in my heart keep me English'). Leaving aside the politics there are actually very few English national songs - and those that do exist are pretty naff. With such a limited supply it's perhaps not too surprising that the slightly boorish ones get sung.

I wonder if "They'll always be an England" is due for a revival?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I think Pie has this one right - who cares where it originates from?

The reality is, however, that it is a sectarian song which is commonly used to promote division, and regularly associated with (at best) hatred.

This thread has been an education for me. I am saddened that these songs have a place in English football - and at Albion matches in particular.

Singing 'No Surrender to the IRA' is clearly not a sectarian chant!

As the IRA/ Sinn Fein claim to be a political organisation and it is not directed at any religious grouping it is a POLITICAL chant!!

It really is that simple FFS!!

Pompous statements about what the club cares about and who they represent are just insane. BHA is a football club. It did not survive in 1997 because of any community policies or mission statements………………….we drew a football match with Hereford.

The Hereford match was important. But the survival of the Albion is because we managed to return to Brighton from Gillingham, re-establish ourselves and get permission (and the land) for a permanent home at Falmer.

None of that would have been possible without the support of a community that is bigger than the people who attend matches. That bigger community expressed itself through the vital support given to the Club by the City Council. And the City Council (and others) gave the Club support not because the Albion drew at Hereford, but because the community policies and mission statement deliver real benefits to the community.

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009

As the IRA/ Sinn Fein claim to be a political organisation and it is not directed at any religious grouping it is a POLITICAL chant!!

Yes, am well versed in this argument/statement.

Perhaps, in isolation, you are right. Perhaps thats why politicians have been so quick to brand it sectarian and try to stamp out chants like this?

In my experience - I have rarely (if ever) heard this chant used in a political vein, and I have only heard it when it can be used in a much wider context.

That said - I have never been aware of it being used at at Albion, or England games.

Jan 30, 2008

hold on the IRA were/are a terrorist group linked to a political party Sinn fein

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Out of interest how would you classify the Greysteel murders or those of civilians like James Morgan or Michael McGoldrick by "loyalist" terrorists?

I have no feelings one way or another, other than a general view that a terrorist is a terrorist, and not a "freedom fighter". However, I do have strong feelings about the IRA blowing-up good MPs like Ian Gow on their driveway in Hankam, and killing englishmen and women in their own country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here