Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Do You Want As Next England Manager?

Oct 25, 2003
Yeh you are right, The squad they had was good enough. It just needed a top manager to bring out the best in them. Harry did that. Is Harry the reason Spurs got to Champions League? Yes

yes that was a good season..........ONE good season, along with a 5th placed finish last year, a decent couple of years at west ham and one fa cup win

in 20 plus years of management

compare that to say, jose........or plenty of other foreign managers and surely you can see that the best option is not an english one

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
yes that was a good season..........ONE good season, along with a 5th placed finish last year, a decent couple of years at west ham and one fa cup win

in 20 plus years of management

compare that to say, jose........or plenty of other foreign managers and surely you can see that the best option is not an english one

Harry is a LONG way from being a quality manager. It's just because he's so English, I think people see a bit of the Winston Churchill in him, and assume he would make a great leader of our glorious country. His managerial record should be filed under "nothing special".

Still rather him than f*cking Rafa Benitez though.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Yeh you are right, The squad they had was good enough. It just needed a top manager to bring out the best in them. Harry did that. Is Harry the reason Spurs got to Champions League? Yes

Of course he is the reason they got to the Champions League - that and Liverpool's timely collapse blowing open the doors for them. You can't deny that. But as somebody else has said elsewhere on this thread, we'd all be livid if we appointed a foreigner who having been a manager for 28 years has a CV of one national cup win and one fourth place finish in his achievements section.

You say nobody else English has the credentials. Well, you could point to Steve McClarens CV - one national cup, taking a far smaller team than Spurs in Middlesbrough into Europe and a final and being the only Englishman around to have won a national league title with one of the most unfashionable sides in Holland - and quite rightly say that it is better than Redknapps.

And we all know how going down the English route worked out that time

Oct 25, 2003
o'neill is fine......would probably do a decent job, not amazing but decent

i generally quite like him so would be quite patient with him, but i can't see him getting us any further than the 2nd round or quarter finals (ie how far the last two foreign managers have got us)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
harry is probably the best english candidate (unfortunately as i really don't think he's world class)

i just don't think it should go to an englishman for the sake of it
That is 100% my view as well. Hodgson is I think too heavily-tainted with his failures at Liverpool and Blackburn. He's done well abroad, but his achievements are modest when compared to Capello's - and look how easily his have been dismissed. The glib view of Hodgson seems to be that he's ok at little clubs and nations (Fulham and Switzerland), but he can't handle big clubs, big players and big expectations.

Like you I've no objection to a foreign coach (although even there I'm struggling to think of a truly outstanding candidate), but if the xenophobes have their way and say the new guy must be English and if Redknapp's health and other 'baggage' count against him - who else is there? The suggestions of Pardew and Adkins aren't as ridiculous as they first sound!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
My choice, if we have to go for an Englishman, would be Roy Hodgson. He has managed a fair few teams, including an international one, he has the experience required and would probably be considered a safe pair of hands.

This.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was tempted to start a new thread about this, but Football Weekly hit upon an interesting stat recently:

"King" Kenny's WDL record since retaking over as 'Pool manager is WORSE than Roy Hodgson's was in his tenure there.

Shows exactly how easily the media can skew the perceptions of two managers in either direction. And how thick some fans are.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Was tempted to start a new thread about this, but Football Weekly hit upon an interesting stat recently:

"King" Kenny's WDL record since retaking over as 'Pool manager is WORSE than Roy Hodgson's was in his tenure there.

Shows exactly how easily the media can skew the perceptions of two managers in either direction. And how thick some fans are.
Hmm interesting. I wonder what 'Aldo' and the other Liverpool fans on here think of that? They were unanimous in declaring that Dalglish was FAR better than Hodgson.

Oct 25, 2003

i also heard this, was surprised to say the least! really don't think he was given enough time at liverpool.........he also got inter to a uefa cup final, which isn't bad

as for the media skewing perceptions..........guess who's sitting proudly at the top of the pile of england managers in terms of win %

(give everyone a clue, he isn't english)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Almost as surprising is how Villas Boas is stacking up against Scolari...

Solari, start of 2008/09 season:
P12 W9 D2 L1 pts 29
position: Top.

Villas-Boas, start of 2011/12 season:
P12 W7 D1 L4 pts 22
position: 5th.

Scolari managed to hang on to his job until 9 February 2009, his league record at time of sacking:
P25 D7 L4 pts 49
position: 4th.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If Newcastle finish in top 5 he will be a contender

So, no then. They have no chance of finishing in the top 5. Their next two games are against United then Chelsea and the table will look more familiar after that I suspect - although I'd be quite happy for them to still be there. I don't think Pardew will be a serious contender - and I have nothing against him.

Oct 25, 2003
as for capello's "awful" record in tournaments........here are the england managers who have performed worse or equal to capello in their first tournament

-Walter Winterbottom
-Alf Ramsey
-Don Revie
-Ron Greenwood
-Bobby Robson
-Graham Taylor
-Glenn Hoddle
-Kevin Keegan
-Steve Mclaren

ie. all of them apart from venables and sven

the one ho equaled fabio (hoddle) inherited a team that had just reached the semi finals of euro 96..........fabio inherited a team that had failed to qualify for euro 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here